Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Good afternoon John, the pleasure of seeing your post is almost...not quite as good ....as seeing that blinking garratt going round my layout...even then it had the cheek to derail courtesy of a slight bind front crankpin coupling rod....easily fixed after overcoming the urge to send it through the loft velux window. I'm in a quandary now...V2 or Scot...V2 it is more soon. Enjoy your break but keep in touch..best wishes Brian

• Like 1

John if I recall I used part of a Hornby A3 plus the GBL V2 to create my A2/2. I have a PDK A2/1 and DJH A2/3....and a modified Millholme A2/2 plus GT Northern. I would really like a DJH A2/2, but can't justify on cost or time when I have other more appropriate models to complete. The reference to the Royal Scot...you may recall my Hornby version ....its chassis became U/ S. I have created new frames...its wheeled and motor gearbox fitted...just had to concentrate on you know what before I could return and fnish it....

The joy of a loft layout...has gone from North Pole condition to sub Saharan yesterday....watched the garratt pulling thirty odd behind it though before the heat got the better of me....then down the ladder for a refreshing can...

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

You asked me to post some of my builds on here so here's a couple of pics of the latest build, I know they never got to Water Orton ( anyone know better) but I think the're a good looking design. The C12's had long live's 60 years, is'n't bad.

manna

post-19471-0-70241400-1524474408.jpg

post-19471-0-01518400-1524474433.jpg

• Like 4

G'Day Folks

You asked me to post some of my builds on here so here's a couple of pics of the latest build, I know they never got to Water Orton ( anyone know better) but I think the're a good looking design. The C12's had long live's 60 years, is'n't bad.

manna

a nice looking loco both in real life and in model form. What chassis are you using please?

Best wishes Brian

G'Day Folks

I'm using a Craftsman chassis, I have the body for it to, but I can't find the short and or problem when I put the brass body on, the chassis runs fine with out the body on, i put and old jinty body on the chassis and it ran fine, so I'm making a plastic body to fit the chassis, next job is to re-do a Nellie chassis to fit under Craftsman body, at least this way I end up with two C12's :sungum:

manna

• Like 1

Working on the Royal Scot ....just to recap Hornby model initially a great runner. I tried it after a prolonged period of inactivity...gears not binding properly a common issue wth models of this manufacturing era apparently. I totally cocked up the repair...comet models not yet acquired by wizard...so new frames made by me...tried to use Hornby wheels and motion. I had a previously made stanier cylinder motion assembly..just use that I thought. Frames wheels etc made up, with mashima 1430 and high level gearbox..great runner with Hornby coupling rods. Then tried to fit motion and cylinders...wheels all had to be replaced with markits 27 mm.. the Hornby coupling rods retained though ... I then discovered that the link between crank on middle driver and motion bracket too short..had to purchase a new comet Royal Scot motion now been added...Moral of story ...don't try and fit previously made up motion to a type it almost.but not quite fits... Photos of Scot chassis in due course..V2 to come..

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At long last working on the V2 chassis....I know John, about time....John kindly sent me a Graeme King Resin V2 body a couple of years ago. I have fitted the handrails painted etc and made up the tender from GBL source. The only addition to Mr Kings creation has been outside steam pipes. Photos to follow

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

post-23587-0-11112000-1527329768_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-60037700-1527329787_thumb.jpegThe Scot earning it's keep now with front steps added...plus work on the v2 on my chaotic workbench...my lovely wife often threatens to tidy my loft up.....she knows how get to me. On a modelling note I have bolstered the hornblock and axle bush areas on the chassis with solder to add to their strength. I have had a couple of these come loose .. Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

post-23587-0-72007600-1527330158_thumb.jpegone picture equal to a thousand words...the solder strengthened axle bush and honguide area...comet in making this area suitable for those who want to add compensation etc have made this area on the chassis vulnerable....especially to ham fistd modellers such as I with my five sided broach.. Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Just a quick observation ...the Scot is pulling a Bachmann thompson amongst other coaches. It appeared to be making hard work of the load. A strange noise was heard. On closer inspection the thompson coach was binding on its bogies. The coach had been bought second hand from my local shop. It was as built by Bachmann. I removed the wheels..Checked back to backs.all ok.....then carefully with a drill removed some of the plastic from the bogie wheel inserts. The result a really free running coach and Scot handling the load without the previous noise..

• Like 1

post-23587-0-49068600-1527870183.jpegpost-23587-0-73271800-1527870208.jpegpost-23587-0-76139300-1527870232.jpegpost-23587-0-20077800-1527870258.jpeg just returned from short stay in Cornwall. I chanced upon the Bodmin and Wenford railway at Bodmin general station. I was rewarded by seeing a 64xx pannier and auto coach being shunted. Well recommended. In the meantime more of Saltley from the net...great photos
  • Like 2

I'm very intrigued by the bottom left shot, with the Peak at far left looking dark red. I wonder if this is a trick of the light, or if its actually in some sort of primer after repair?

The top right shot of the BRC&W type 2 is also interesting, with the front doors welded but the joint still apparent, although sealed.

John.

Good evening John, yes I noticed the peak in its beguiling pink...I've seen locos in red ...pink primer..But usually in or around works awaiting further paint application. I can't recall if I've seen photos of them out on the road in that state on test for example. In this case I note it has a four character being displayed intimating it had or is on a service....1 M22 does anyone know what this may be? Best wishes Brian

I have spent many hours at Saltley sadly most when the old steam shed had been demolished. I am therefore intrigued by the ironwork on display to the left of the brick building/ roundhouse....was this a new fabrication or is it the skeleton of a building being demolished? The more I look I suspect the latter...

Edited by 46256

Good evening John, yes I noticed the peak in its beguiling pink...I've seen locos in red ...pink primer..But usually in or around works awaiting further paint application. I can't recall if I've seen photos of them out on the road in that state on test for example. In this case I note it has a four character being displayed intimating it had or is on a service....1 M22 does anyone know what this may be? Best wishes Brian

Hi Brian - I have a feeling the pink is just a trick caused by a combination of an old photo and the shadow from overhead. You may be able to tell differently from the original?

Cheers

John

Good Morning John ® yes I think it has more to do with the photo than the actual colour of the loco...it also seems to show an interesting design for the yellow warning panel. This is reminiscent of some of the designs tried I believe on the westerns. The other clue on the photo is the reddish hue on the front of the coal stage and the peak with the double arrow logo alongside. A crimson lake peak lined out in yellow and black...now there's a thought. On the deisel theme was running my Class 37/0 with a train of bolsters last night with a brake tender attached. A common sight in the transition period but I have rarely seen it modelled at exhibitions etc....apologies to any exhibitors who do indeed have this feature .

Still on modelling, V2 chassis wheels and coupling rods added...and front pony truck....Coupling rods held in place by the method of plastic casing from wire located temporarily over crankpins holding them in place, whilst free running is checked. I will start on the high level gearbox. This is a job I always approach with a degree of trepidation , only to be pleasantly surprised on the ease(if you follwthe instructions) of assembly and final excellent resulting drive.Mashima 14/30 awaiting fitting.

Edited by 46256

post-23587-0-73891400-1527951191.jpegpost-23587-0-12959800-1527951215.jpegthe completed high level gearbox/ mashima motor assembly running in the V2 frames....poppys jig acting as a cradle. The bolster train now being pulled by class 44 D1 Scafell Pike....still with brake tender attached
  • Like 3

just fitted coupling rods, pick ups and pony trucks to V2. It has been running for some 40 mins around my layout....very nice. The pick ups are my usual method gapped circuit board soldered into frames....phos bronze wire bent into spring around suitable little screwdriver and soldered onto gap touching tyre of insulated wheels ...see photopost-23587-0-98703800-1528292789_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-27211500-1528292841.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

post-23587-0-77504300-1528744335.jpegrear frame extensions, cartazzi axle boxes and rear steps added...tender appears to be riding a little high...will rectify....cylinders motion brake gear and front buffers plus three link coupling on front to complete Edited by 46256
  • Like 3