Ermine Models - Mk2C etched sides

Taigatrommel

For my own modelling purposes, I've made etches to convert the Hornby Mk2E to a Mk2C TSO.  They've not turned out at all badly, however, there are a couple of minor issues that need addressing.  They are designed to fit between the doors of the Hornby coach, and I've got the sides about 1mm too short for that.  Also, the left hand framing for the sliding pane in the window has come out too fine.  Now, for my own modelling purposes, I'd work with the etches.  However, for selling them, I'd address these issues.  As such, I'm gauging interest in how many people would like to have such an etch.  The price would be £25 for two coaches worth.  I can also easily produce artwork for an FK/FO.

These sides would also be suitable for making a Mk2B, however, the condensation tank hatch from the roof of the Hornby donor coach would need removing, which looks like a fair job to me.

post-6973-0-54522000-1452771257_thumb.jpg

post-6973-0-74706300-1452771268_thumb.jpg

Why have I chosen the Hornby coaches as donors?  Simply, I like their body profile, and the doors just need their vents removing for Mk2Cs.  The end is close enough in appearance for my liking, and frankly, they're a good price- easily available for less than £20 a pop.  Plus, if you're going to the lengths of a conversion, sorting out the chassis is not much extra work.

If you think you would like a set of etches like this, but with the corrections I've outlined, let me know.  For the couple of coaches I want for myself, I'll work with what I've made so far.  If anyone else wants some, I'll make the revisions.  I only really need ten sold to make it worthwhile!

Something I mentioned in my own workbench thread that's worth adding here; I've designed these to match Bachmann mk2s in appearance, hence the recessed (half etched) vented pane framing.  If you're after higher accuracy, Extreme Etchings are the way to go for mk2 window frames.  These are meant for a relatively easy job, hence the etched on door handles to save adding my own!

I did a test fitting last night.  The bodyside depth is on the money.  I'm not very experienced in using brass sides, so didn't quite get a smooth roll!

post-6973-0-44866300-1452882055_thumb.jpg

I've been begging my friends to help me offset the cost of revised etches by being guinea pigs at a cheap price, and it looks like I've got takers, so hopefully soon I should have the version 2 mk2s to show.  Like I say, I only wanted a couple of coaches, but I think these are worth developing.  I've also drawn up two other vehicle types, the 5562-5615 TSOs (also suitable for TSOTs) and the 13534-13561 FKs/3152-3165 FOs.  Both these first class types were downclassfied in the 1980s, running as SKs, CKs and SOs.

• 2 weeks later...

Having made some revisions, I've now received the version 2 etches, and I'm happy to make these available for sale.  Prices are £15 for one coach, £25 for two, £45 for four.  Postage is £5 for up to  four coach sides.

I've decided to create my own branding to sell these under, as there are few other items I'm working on which could well be available for others.  It'll make accounting easier to run things as a small business, and so that's just what I'm doing.  At this point I'm not in the position for wishlisting, but I have ideas for some future products beyond my own immediate modelling needs.  I'm trading as "Ermine Models", and I have a website at www.erminemodels.co.uk.  Please contact me if you wish to buy anything.

Thanks to Andy Y for his permission to plug the site!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived