SUNDERLAND NORTH DOCK, BANK TOP YARD AND SHED

tom shaw

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

I picked up a great little book (booklet?) several years ago at Beamish entitled "Railways of East Durham" by Ken Hoole - a slim little volume of 72 pages but containing many interesting but b&w pictures, many of which showing the end of steam in the Sunderland area.  If not in your library it might be worth a look.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian

yep, got that one. I had a period of commuting a few years ago and regularly bought railway books and magazines to read on the train so I think I've got most with anything North Eastern in them. Anything by Ken Hoole is worth a look. Now you've mentioned it I'll have another browse through it.

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress

Old layout stripped down to bare baseboards, point templates laid out on front middle two boards to check they miss joints and supports. The shed area at the back has been raised slightly for interest. Cork sheet to be laid at the front prior to starting to laypoints and track. Here we go.

Tom

post-28123-0-58445200-1453317047_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great photos. Love the photo looking out of the chute to the flats. I used to go out with a girl from one of those. Think they've all been demolished now - it's been a few years since I was last in that part of Blyth (born there BTW) . A couple of years ago at Modelrail Scotland, there was an N gauge model of Blyth station and shed. Brought back fond memories of playing on the station roof before it was knocked down. 

No, the flats are still there and still occupied but they have had some modernisation work done over the years so they look a little different now, I had a couple of school mates who lived there in the 1970s.

Michael

Very interesting to see Porcey Mains ariel views of North Dock.

I was a regular visitor to the cafe above the beach where the road makes a sharp left turn to head north. I wonder if the old signpost is still outside the cafe with one of its arms pointing to the "German Ocean" ? 

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more progress.

I've been furiously building pointwork from C&L components. The points in the shed area were built using plastic sleepers but I subsequently discovered plywood and I'm making the yard points using these. They actually look too good to paint (like a well made brass loco) but I will give them a spray of track colour and sleeper grime and pick out the rails in rust once they're in place.

Wiring to attach then I can start laying.

Picture shows the up yard to down main crossover etc. The red squares indicate where the signal cabin will sit.

post-28123-0-81919000-1454417624_thumb.jpg

And now a picture of my Gran and my Aunt standing in the back yard of their house in Hope Street, South Shields which backed on to Tyne Dock sidings, probably taken in the 1950's (before I was born). A splendid NER two doll distant.

post-28123-0-09051600-1454421362.jpg

Tom

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

Have a look at photo-forums.net - on there look at the Time Capsules section, then look at contributor Chris Davies (sadly no longer with us) - he put up a lot of pictures of Hendon, Ryhope, Hawthorn and West Hartlepool (amongst others). I know it's the wrong side of the Wear for your model, but these pictures capture the essence of the area and they're in colour.

I understand there's an exhibition of Ian Carr's pictures at Monkwearmouth Museum currently - I mean to have a look this week.

Regards,

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Roy, Steve,

Thanks for the steer to the photo site, that's one I haven't seen before. Some really good pictures there, I especially like the one of Green Lane signal box which gives a good view of the extract fan on the top. I should be able to add something to my model of it now.

Some great shots of trackwork and general yard paraphernalia which you don't often see.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a break from track-laying and did a sketch drawing of the coaler which is based on South Blyth using the photo's provided by Chris (North Eastern) earlier in the thread. Dimensions have been estimated and are to suit the site available.

Tom

post-28123-0-66072800-1455980891_thumb.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some progress since last post a couple of weeks ago. The track is laid on the first board and wiring is well under way. The track seems to be working well and I'm pleased with the narrowing of gauge at the common crossings to 16.2mm (OO-SF / SF-4) which seems to accommodate the wheels on my ready to run stock and kits with no problems so far. The rails at the edges of the boards have been soldered to brass pins to give good alignment and dropper wires soldered to the bottom of the rails and taken through holes to the underside of the baseboard.

Three sets of bus-wires (stripped from 1.0mm2 twin and earth cable) have been run under the board for the shed area and the up and down mainlines, these will be connected to NCE circuit breakers to give separately protected supplies to these areas.

All but one of the tortoise point motors have been installed on this board and the wiring from the bus and frogs connected to the in-built switches to change frog polarity. One tortoise is not fitted because I moved the point at the last minute and the motor now clashes with the side support, so much for careful planning.

I have yet to make the control panel, which will just be a row of switches for the point motors, uncoupling magnets and signals which will be arranged like a set of signal box levers and fixed to the back of the board.

The next thing I will do is to temporarily connect an NCE powercab and try the track under power, should be interesting.

A couple of pictures of the top and underneath the first board.

I'm enjoying this....

Tom

post-28123-0-96905700-1457608565_thumb.jpg

post-28123-0-39177500-1457608567_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

I am enjoying following your progress with interest from just up the road!

I understand there's an exhibition of Ian Carr's pictures at Monkwearmouth Museum currently - I mean to have a look this week.

Regards,

Roy

To anyone, I can recommend a trip to the museum to see the Ian Carr exhibition. I went a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it, it was a small display but there were some great shots on display - a case of quality over quantity. I had seen quite a number before in various books but others were new to me.

Anyway, keep up the good work with the layout Tom!

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Connected up some wires for a play and videoed with my phone in one hand and the powercab in the other, hence the videos are a bit shaky. The EE type 3 has no sound but the 204 and the 350 both have sound. First time on YouTube so hope it works.

Tom

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-bG0hQ23QCk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYG47yNEnhYhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_EvveP-kc

Edited by tom shaw
  • Like 1

Connected up some wires for a play and videoed with my phone in one hand and the powercab in the other, hence the videos are a bit shaky. The EE type 3 has no sound but the 204 and the 350 both have sound. First time on YouTube so hope it works.

Tom

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYG47yNEnhYhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_EvveP-kc

EE type 3 link didn't copy so here it is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_EvveP-kc

Tom

Great videos Tom.  I've often thought about putting something on YouTube - is it tricky?  Strangely, we have very low broadband speeds here in Thameside Essex, barely 30 miles from the centre of London so this has put me off thus far.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

• RMweb Gold

Great videos Tom.  I've often thought about putting something on YouTube - is it tricky?  Strangely, we have very low broadband speeds here in Thameside Essex, barely 30 miles from the centre of London so this has put me off thus far.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

it's surprisingly easy to post to youtube. You need to open an account first, click sign in at top right then create account. I found I was logged in automatically through my google account. Then click on upload and follow the instructions. It took some time to upload as my broadband speed out in the sticks isn't exactlly blistering. Although you're close to London if the fibre doesn't come up your street then you're condemned to "snailmail" like me.

Looking forward to your first video post.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

it's surprisingly easy to post to youtube. You need to open an account first, click sign in at top right then create account. I found I was logged in automatically through my google account. Then click on upload and follow the instructions. It took some time to upload as my broadband speed out in the sticks isn't exactlly blistering. Although you're close to London if the fibre doesn't come up your street then you're condemned to "snailmail" like me.

Looking forward to your first video post.

Tom

Unfortunately Tom, we are still on copper wire and there are currently no plans to connect us by fibre due to the cost. However, we are promised the minimum 2 whatever units speed this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been beavering away on the second board and have now laid all but one of the points for the whole layout. The wiring is yet to be started on this board but it is shown below attached to the first board. A couple of wagons are binding on one of the points but I haven't investigated whether it's the wheel back to back that are out or a problem with the point. That will be the next thing to do.

post-28123-0-59999000-1460145432_thumb.jpg

There's a good comparison with one of my earlier photos when I had laid out the point templates

Tom

Edited by tom shaw
  • Like 1

Hi Tom, Just found this thread, SUPERB and your attention to detail is fantastic. I'm doing a similar project with North Road, but that's on a much smaller scale and Freelance.
I'm really looking forward to watching this grow and develop into a stunning Layout.

More pics please.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom, Just found this thread, SUPERB and your attention to detail is fantastic. I'm doing a similar project with North Road, but that's on a much smaller scale and Freelance.

I'm really looking forward to watching this grow and develop into a stunning Layout.

More pics please.

Many thanks for the kind words Andrew. Although I've based the layout on an actual place I've changed the history to make North Dock much busier than it was, so in effect it's freelance as well. I'm afraid I'm not the best photographer, just relying on my phone for pictures but I will try to take more as I progress.

I bought a couple of BR standard rail built buffers from Lanarkshire Models at the York show and the photo below is of one of these built up and in place. I was so impressed that I sent for some NER examples of various styles, they arrived very quickly and certainly look the part. Looking forward to building them.

post-28123-0-22068200-1460301305_thumb.jpg

Below are some photos of the incomplete engine shed, based on one of the West Hartlepool sheds. This uses mounting card, Scalescenes brickpaper and windows with Scene-setters glazing bars.

post-28123-0-64376200-1460301341_thumb.jpg

post-28123-0-30491400-1460301416_thumb.jpg

The parts haven't been stuck together yet so hopefully the gaps will be hidden.

Tom

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...