MRJ 244

Adam

No, the actual tip or end of the flame is not the hottest.

The cone is usually bright blue in colour, quite distinct from the rest of the flame, and the end of the cone, which is the hottest part of the flame, is approx a third of the way down the flame looking at it from the burner. Difficult to describe, but very easy and clear to see when you have the flame in front of you!

When I did 'O' level Workshop Theory and Practice, one of the things we had to do was draw and annotate the structure of a gas flame for brazing and silver soldering. As you say, its very clear when its pointed out in a practical environment!  I've still got the Engineers screwdriver I made back then; Mild steel hex bar handle turned and centre drilled on a 4" Boxford lathe with a silver steel shaft, silver soldered into the handle, the blade end case hardened after forming. Still in use after xx years.....

No, the actual tip or end of the flame is not the hottest.

The cone is usually bright blue in colour, quite distinct from the rest of the flame, and the end of the cone, which is the hottest part of the flame, is approx a third of the way down the flame looking at it from the burner. Difficult to describe, but very easy and clear to see when you have the flame in front of you!

Seem to remember something similar to this from school days in the Chemistry Lab using Bunsen Burners.  Haven't got a clue about the 'O' and 'A' level chemistry but the hottest part of a flame info' certainly stuck!

Just been re-reading Ian Smith's interesting article on building the Brunel baulk road in 2mm, and only now noticed that part of the point rodding extends way beyond the toe of the point, and then appears to terminate in the middle of the four-foot.

Can anyone familiar with GWR practice in that period enlighten me as to why this is?

Just been re-reading Ian Smith's interesting article on building the Brunel baulk road in 2mm, and only now noticed that part of the point rodding extends way beyond the toe of the point, and then appears to terminate in the middle of the four-foot.

Can anyone familiar with GWR practice in that period enlighten me as to why this is?

The rod you are looking at is the one for the facing point lock which is driven via a lock bar located on the inside of the running rail, the photos are to small to see if the lock bar is modelled but you can see the facing point lock itself.

Regards

The rod you are looking at is the one for the facing point lock which is driven via a lock bar located on the inside of the running rail, the photos are to small to see if the lock bar is modelled but you can see the facing point lock itself.

Regards

Ah, thanks! I'd wondered about a locking bar but I'd dismissed the idea because it seemed rather a long way from the toe of the point. But yes, it does make sense.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Regards

As Keith says, the rodding does extend to the lock bar.  The lock bar is modelled in a rather rudimentary form as is the FPL detector - it is 2mm scale after all (and I've never seen either modelled in 2mm before)

Not a particularly good image of the FPL and lock bar (which is why it didn't make it into the article) but best I have to hand :

post-12089-0-53117500-1458599752_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Ian

Going gaga in my old age, I'm still looking for the sources David Nicholson used to produce his viaduct drawings. On page 8 it says they're listed at the end of the article, so they must be there somewhere....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived