Hattons New Store Development

Andy Y

Totally off-topic but I remember being taken to Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley more years ago than I care to remember.  The passing comment above has brought back memories long forgotten!

Back to topic - I wish good fortune to Hattons but also to local shops in a highly competitive business.

Very much the end of an era,I have known Hattons in Smithdown Road for over 40 years.Alway visited 3 of 4 times a year when in Southport where my inlaw's live.Not too far out of the way so I will still visit although probably not so often.My reasonably local model shop 'Howes of Oxford' did a similar move a few years ago from a small shop to an industrial unit and that has worked fine as far as I know,although that is not on a very frequent bus route,unlike their old shop.I wish Hattons every success in their move and will look forward to visiting the new unit later in the year.

Quite a shock and sad news, it was a must do any time I was in Liverpool, cost me a fortune over the years.

I wish them well but sympathise with those who rely on public transport and for whom it will be extremely difficult to spend money in the future!

Interesting set of photos there. I didn't spot a skip full of boxes of locos with no chimneys, non-runners, motion falling apart and other high-priced tat that fills the Hattons Hornby and Bachmann columns these days.

They're probably being kept back as lucky dip prizes for the official re-opening of the shop in April.

April....  Not the First, I hope!

As for the move itself, its sad to see that they're abandoning Smithdown Road, but given the cramped location of the old shop and less than adequate parking arrangements, I see the move as something positive, looking towards the future.  To be honest, Smithdown Road has always been a "special trip" location and if you're buying lots of stuff then public transport isn't ideal for lugging it all back home, so either mail order or the car are pefectly reasonable alternatives.

Anyway.  Heres to Hattons in their new location and with fond memories of 364 (and prior to that, 180) Smithdown Road, Liverpool 15!

(edited to get rid of the doubled quote box. And a bit of light spelin korkshun....)

Very sad to see the Smithdown Road connection end. I think that although it's further for me to the Hub, it will probably be quicker - no trailing into Liverpool on the M62, Queens Drive, etc., which was always the slowest part of the journey. I'll wait 'til April, though.

Glad they are moving and not closing- sad that the location which has been iconic even for a yooth like me (now 39) will be closing.  I understand granddad bought stuff from them at the old location, way before my time though.  (probably as early as when they lived in Birkenhead).

James

• RMweb Gold

i dont know if its the lack of sleep or too much coffee but all i could think about yesterday when i read about them moving and seeing the pictures of the empty shop was the image of scooby doo and shaggy walking round "the old abandoned model shop" on smithdown road and being scared witless by the 'ball of string monster' who turned out to be old man hatton, who would have "got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids"

• RMweb Gold
Not by public transport it isn't easy to get to.  In fact, impossible.

Don't give up so easily. It's only a 5-minute walk from a bus stop. But perhaps not for the faint-hearted. smile.gif

Admittedly it is the best part of 50 years since I was last in Widnes, so this is all from Google.

Bus no. 2 from Widnes every 15 minutes:

post-1103-0-51671500-1453382980.png

Aerial view:

post-1103-0-45729100-1453382978.jpg

Start of walk:

post-1103-0-16851400-1453382972.jpg

End of walk:

post-1103-0-95273800-1453382968.jpg

Bus timetable:

post-1103-0-60508400-1453382973.png

Google Streetview links:

https://goo.gl/maps/j4dVZuQ2QS32

https://goo.gl/maps/6Ucqeex3YjM2

Bus timetable link: http://www3.halton.gov.uk/Pages/publictransport/pdf/BusTimetables/Timetable2.pdf

Martin.

I was on my way past yesterday and about to pop in but took another route in the end and never bothered. I often went in for impulse purchases but wont be able to now.

Anyway heres a shot of the original shop which holds a lot of childhood memories.

When did Hattons first open on that part of Smithdown Rd?

Really is the end of an era. I can recall my Dad writing to Smithdown Road to buy stuff for me. Must have been the early 1960s.

I can recall badgering my Dad for cheques so I could write off to Smithdown Road for various items unobtainable locally during the mid 1980s.

Much time has elapsed since then, but after rediscovering these tiny trains a year or two back I was very happy to find they were still in business and very capable of shipping VAT-free to foreign parts with "user-friendly" customs declarations.

I was a regular shop customer at Hattons over the six years my daughter lived in Liverpool (one year in Penny Lane itself).  Now retired and avoiding using the car for any journey I can make using a bus pass I CAN get to Smithdown Road by bus from her current address in Salford (OK, three buses) but if the new place is off public transport I'll not be visiting any more.

Les

PS Said daughter doesn't get visited by car- train to Manchester and shiny new busway buses out to 50 yards from her front door.

Archived