Southern Railway Colour Light Signals

....I am very clear about what I am ordering.

Will be interesting to see what they make of the "pigs' ears" beside the main aspects.

Here's the sample 2-aspect drawing which appeared elsewhere on the Forum a while ago:

post-6879-0-78174800-1455105445.gif

Edited by Horsetan

• 11 months later...

Very useful info, especially the site to buy them, that can make them to a design. I'm just wanting to check, but I'm doing exactly the same here but the blue/grey period as that's my favourite livery. I'm also doing a Weymouth type tram track, harbour type track, with boat trains, water and buildings. I just love the trains and art deco buildings from that area of BR. I'm looking to replace all semaphore signals with coloured lights. My layout is based loosely on themes picked rom that period, so not any real location, though any signals around Weymouth, might help get it all looking like that area a little. 

Thanks

Edited by class156

• RMweb Premium

I have in the garden a Metro-vick Two aspect head. It has blanks in the casting for where the pigs ears would have gone on the earlier ones. I can give you dimensions if you want, or even better PM LNERGE who has heads with pigs ears in his garden.....

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

Some 4mm scale LU Westinghouse signals / signal heads available from this Shapeways seller

I think the distance between main aspect centres looks a bit too long in some of the "finished product" photos (so you could saw out a section to make it more compact), but otherwise they look quite convincing. The 3-aspect head is not catered for, only the 2- and 4-aspect.

Some 4mm scale LU Westinghouse signals / signal heads available from this Shapeways seller

I think the distance between main aspect centres looks a bit too long in some of the "finished product" photos (so you could saw out a section to make it more compact), but otherwise they look quite convincing. The 3-aspect head is not catered for, only the 2- and 4-aspect.

I'll have a go at changing my semaphore signal to those light signals. I'll need to see what I require first. Thanks for the advice. Without pig ears seem to be the era I'm after. I'll also look at the other links that have been posted. I'll try do an update when I get round to doing the work. Thanks 

• 10 months later...

Anyone know what font was used for the identification board?

Oddly enough, Ogden's Cigarettes got it about right. Their artwork must be based on a pre-WWII photo as it depicts short-hoods (replaced by long hoods as a matter of extreme urgency once night bombing raids started in 1940). http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hFyqorvd_Fs/VVLRMCCfzyI/AAAAAAABNUw/khQ5upY5kus/s1600/Southern%2BRailway%2B3%2BAspect%2BSignal%2B1930s.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Cobbled together a SR like signal from a Train Tech kit, plastic card, heat shrink and Peco Track Pins as photoed in the thread on my layout

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127304-warmington/

Anyone know what font was used for the identification board?

It's not just the font but also the identification letter system you need to get right as the three SR Divisions numbering systems identified which division the signal was on ;) 

It's not just the font but also the identification letter system you need to get right as the three SR Divisions numbering systems identified which division the signal was on ;)

WW1 then for it! The kit to build WW2 fell through the postbox today, one with a left feather which will need more serious hacking and added on bits to look like those photoed earlier in the thread.

Until about the mid-1960s, each Southern signal box with colour light signals was allocated a specific letter code which bore no resemblance to the box name, the very first codes had a single letter, then two letter codes were used, then (on the Eastern Section) a few three letter codes. 

Colour light signals controlled by boxes on the Eastern Section just used the appropriate letter code (noting that two or three letter codes never started with an A, C or W) followed by the lever number.  Fully automatic colour light signals on the Eastern Section used the letter A followed by a number unique on the section.

Colour light signals controlled by boxes on the Central and Western sections used the appropriate letter code prefixed with a C or W and followed by the lever number, there were in effect no single letter codes on these sections. Fully automatic colour light signals on these Sections used the letters CA or WA followed by a number unique on the section.

Semi-automatic signals used the appropriate signal box code followed by the lever number but also carried a "SEMI" plate.

Edited by bécasse

• RMweb Gold

Until about the mid-1960s, each Southern signal box with colour light signals was allocated a specific letter code which bore no resemblance to the box name, the very first codes had a single letter, then two letter codes were used, then (on the Eastern Section) a few three letter codes. 

Colour light signals controlled by boxes on the Eastern Section just used the appropriate letter code (noting that two or three letter codes never started with an A, C or W) followed by the lever number.  Fully automatic colour light signals on the Eastern Section used the letter A followed by a number unique on the section.

Colour light signals controlled by boxes on the Central and Western sections used the appropriate letter code prefixed with a C or W and followed by the lever number, there were in effect no single letter codes on these sections. Fully automatic colour light signals on these Sections used the letters CA or CW followed by a number unique on the section.

Semi-automatic signals used the appropriate signal box code followed by the lever number but also carried a "SEMI" plate.

One minor point, a typo perchance? - Western Section automatic signals were prefixed 'WA'

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't an old OHLE structure - the only ones used as signal posts were used in situ, and, although they proved long-lived, I believe that the last one (east of Clapham Junction) was replaced quite some time ago.

I am not even convinced that there is very much secondhand rail in its construction, some or all of the uprights perhaps. It has all the hallmarks of having been a one-off Southern Railway design for the specific location, the detail design of the deck, for example, corresponds closely to the designs used for the mid-1930s resignalling out of Waterloo. Assuming that is the case, it was brought into use on 17 May 1936 - still a long time survivor from the Herbert Walker era, though. He certainly knew how to deliver value to the SR's shareholders (and customers).