1:100 Scale  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What locomotives should be available?

• BR Class 08/09
    • BR Class 37
    • EWS Class 66
    • BR Class 47
    • BR Class 101 DMU
    • BR Britannia Class
    • LMS/BR Black 5
    • LNER/BR A1/A3
    • GWR/BR Castle Class
    • SR/BR Unrebuilt Merchant Navy
    • LMS/BR Jinty
    • BR Class 58
    • BR 4MT
    • LNER/BR A4
    • LBSCR A1 Terrier
    • BR Class 121
    • BR Class 42
    • LNER/BR J94
    • SR/BR Schools Class
    • LNER P2
    • GWR 94xx
    • BR Class 43 HST
    • GWR Hall Class
    • BR Class 91

• RMweb Premium

The logic of "restarting" a scale when it has never stopped passes me by. There is an active scale of 3mm/ft ably supported by the the 3mm Society and various traders. To attempt to do something in 1:100 as opposed to 3mm/ft (1:101.2) seems to me to be totally perverse. The differences are within the tolerances normally found in any scale. I don't think you have a chance.

The question of whether there could be British RTR in either 3mm/ft or 1:120 has been well discussed in another thread and is different. I think the premise of the OP that that a major manufacturer couldn't get involved is wrong; a manufacturer could, although they'd think hard and deep about how and why. A major aspect of this is that such a manufacturer wouldn't need to go the whole hog; they could adopt a toe-in-the-water approach. An example: produce a locomotive, two or three wagons and a coach or two. Do it in 3mm/ft and there's a whole range of kits and other components already available to back up that initial offering. If I was the manufacturer I'd go for top quality stuff with a price to match, partly because I think the punters are becoming more discerning, but also because, for a new offering, quality may be more economic than quantity. I think an existing manufacturer who know the ropes is most likely to succeed.

Archived