Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Strange that OR can sell their one for this price and the Bachmann one comes out at £17.95?.

Or (just to avoid knocking a single manufacturer)  £18 for the forthcoming Hornby SR ones (all Hatton's prices; they also have Bachmann's dire "sawn-off" representation of the LMS style for £15.26 - about 20 years overdue for replacement with one made to scale length). Price hasn't stopped me buying four of the Bachmann BR standard wagons in the past, though I don't need any more, and it won't put me off the Hornby models. I will be buying the OR one in addition, not instead.

Oxford Rail are the new kids on the block and lower prices are one way of getting their foot in the door.

I also suspect that the ownership and structure of the company creates certain economies that might not be achievable for Bachmann and Hornby in their current forms.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I'm confused having read this thread !!! :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

So given the debate as to how long these wagons survived if I'm modelling 1956 to 1960 they are no use to me ?

Depends whether they are 9' or 10' wheelbase. The latter survived in small numbers until 1961/2 but the swb version seems to have become extinct before nationalisation.

I'm not yet clear whether Oxford's BR version will reflect this or if I'll need to rebuild the chassis as I had to when I built the Parkside kit.

If they are only doing one chassis, they should, logically, pick the 10' version which is appropriate for LNER or BR eras rather than the 9' which would only be so for LNER days.

J.

Hopefully someone has communicated this to Oxford, i.e. about the better underframe length?

From a brief chat with a company representative at Glasgow exhibition sounded like they had been advised to avoid reading forums.  If so they will not have read the sensible views on here.  (No, I couldn't remember the details about this when I spoke with him).

I reckon at somepoint, the unfitted example and much desired 10ft will be done. Whilst I hope it won't be long before a 10ft comes out, I'm just happy to see Oxford finishing off the cattle wagon scene following Hornby's SR Maunsell and Bullied Cattle wagon annoucement last year...

In the meantime, we've got to patient and wait. At the end of the day patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait no matter how long it takes...

Edited by Garethp8873

behaving like a grumpy academic is no help to anyone..

Being handed your research on a plate is, though. If someone wants to do my job for me, they can be as rude as they like to me in the process.

I'm sure Adrian has suggested elsewhere that the sides are identical instead of handed, which if it is the case reflects rather poorly on the designers. I haven't seen one yet, though, so that remains no more than hearsay.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon at somepoint, the unfitted example and much desired 10ft will be done. Whilst I hope it won't be long before a 10ft comes out, I'm just happy to see Oxford finishing off the cattle wagon scene following Hornby's SR Maunsell and Bullied Cattle wagon annoucement last year...

In the meantime, we've got to patient and wait. At the end of the day patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait no matter how long it takes...

Just a couple of points:

[1] if Oxford Rail intend doing one in BR bauxite livery, branded XP (as per their own advance photos) it needs to be the 10' wheelbase version. The 9-footers (of this body style) didn't survive long enough to receive BR paint. 

[2] There is no decent LMS cattle wagon available r-t-r; Bachmann's is wrong in almost every respect and the new Parkside kit, whilst lovely, is not the diagram I want more than one of. It is also the same one produced in whitemetal by David Geen.

John    

Edited by Dunsignalling

ABS has been deluging them with eamils  according to his posts on  LNER Forum. He says he never gets any replies .

Perhaps you could substantiate that statement? I have not been able to find where he has stated this.

I am assured that Adrian has contacted OR on two occasions only about their products - and never about their LNER cattle wagon.

It would appear that this conversation, concerning someone who cannot respond in person, is in danger of entering the realms of fantasy; (as Captain Mainwaring would say)!

Why not contact Adrian directly via the LNER Encyclopaedia if you wish to comment on his postings, rather than on a group where you know he cannot correct you personally?

.... and while I'm on my soapbox, why do some members feel the need to demonise Adrian concerning his acquisitions?

As I have stated before, Adrian spent his resources acquiring defunct ranges rather than see them lost forever. The masters still exist as a consequence, even if the kits haven't been reintroduced. Otherwise, they would now be buried in landfill!

I understand that Adrian was banned because members objected to his sometimes lengthy criticisms of new products. So - he's gone; why then continue making one-sided swipes at him?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you could substantiate that statement? I have not been able to find where he has stated this.

I am assured that Adrian has contacted OR on two occasions only about their products - and never about their LNER cattle wagon.

It would appear that this conversation, concerning someone who cannot respond in person, is in danger of entering the realms of fantasy; (as Captain Mainwaring would say)!

Why not contact Adrian directly via the LNER Encyclopaedia if you wish to comment on his postings, rather than on a group where you know he cannot correct you personally?

.... and while I'm on my soapbox, why do some members feel the need to demonise Adrian concerning his aquisitions?

As I have stated before, Adrian spent his resources acquiring defunct ranges rather than see them lost forever. The masters still exist as a consequence, even if the kits haven't been reintroduced. Otherwise, they would now be buried in landfill!

I understand that Adrian was banned because members objected to his sometimes lengthy criticisms of new products. So - he's gone; why then continue making one-sided swipes at him?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's not for us to necessarily know why Adrian was banned but unfortunately his manner of criticism was not exactly - how shall I put - always polite.  In addition I received an extremely rude PM from him when questioning something he said, hardly necessary to behave in such a way - even in private correspondence.  I don't doubt his enormous fund of knowledge but, with due respect to anyone in such a position, there are ways and means of conveying such information to others and a blunt approach might not necessarily always be the best one.  (And, lest it be overlooked, he has made some superb kits and castings over the years - often way ahead in accuracy & quality of anything else on the market.)

It's not for us to necessarily know why Adrian was banned but unfortunately his manner of criticism was not exactly - how shall I put - always polite.  In addition I received an extremely rude PM from him when questioning something he said, hardly necessary to behave in such a way - even in private correspondence.  I don't doubt his enormous fund of knowledge but, with due respect to anyone in such a position, there are ways and means of conveying such information to others and a blunt approach might not necessarily always be the best one.  (And, lest it be overlooked, he has made some superb kits and castings over the years - often way ahead in accuracy & quality of anything else on the market.)

I wouldn't disagree with any of this - but to discuss him in his enforced absence is equally disrespectful.

Adrian is no longer here - so he shouldn't be brought into discussions when he can't participate.

Seems simple to me !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just a couple of points:

[1] if Oxford Rail intend doing one in BR bauxite livery, branded XP (as per their own advance photos) it needs to be the 10' wheelbase version. The 9-footers (of this body style) didn't survive long enough to receive BR paint. 

It needs to be the 10' version in order for the model to be accurate. However, there's nothing to stop them doing an inaccurate model, and selling thousands of them to the (quite large) section of the market that doesn't really care too much about this. I also wonder if the lower price is a reflection of less time being spent of research, and reworks of the design to get things like this right. Ultimately it's their business decision, and it might not be the same one that I'd make if I was in that position. 

.... and while I'm on my soapbox, why do some members feel the need to demonise Adrian concerning his acquisitions?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It was a statement of fact ,as it had already been mentioned on here about contacting Oxford re the LNER Model. If you read the thread on LNER Forum you will read there as anyone else can quite easily.

If ABS hasn't had any success why would anyone else have any other different result. I  am not aware of anyone else contacting Oxford re models faults or otherwise. It was not a swipe at him. If people think that that is their choice not mine.

I do wonder why anybody posts on this forum about anything at times.

It was a statement of fact ,as it had already been mentioned on here about contacting Oxford re the LNER Model. If you read the thread on LNER Forum you will read there as anyone else can quite easily.

If ABS hasn't had any success why would anyone else have any other different result. I  am not aware of anyone else contacting Oxford re models faults or otherwise. It was not a swipe at him. If people think that that is their choice not mine.

I do wonder why anybody posts on this forum about anything at times.

I do read the LNER Encyclopaedia thread - and nowhere can I find any statement from Adrian that he has contacted OR about the cattle van.

Adrian cannot respond here to any statements made about him; therefore here is not a reasonable forum to discuss him.

I am sure that Adrian will happily correct you if you care to post misinformation on the LNER Encyclopaedia thread !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10487

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11367

edit 

Re: Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models
  •  
  •  

Postby adrianbs » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 am 

Hi all and Jwealleans Do you really want to know ??, Past experience in "another place" seems to bring an almost immediate ban from a topic and now a complete ban for 22 years by which time my comments might be a little out of date. I have found about 30 errors on this new Oxfordrail wagon, most of which are not present on the Bachmann product. I have notified Oxfordrail of 13 before the additional pictures appeared but have not even had an acknowledgement to date.
Edited by micklner

I have followed both links, but have still failed to find any evidence that "ABS has been deluging them with eamils according to his posts on  LNER Forum".

Perhaps you could be more specific?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

May I pleae ask that we return to the specific topic of the wagon itself rather than off topic discussions regarding other forums and parties.

To save my diodes there might be a high probability that any such further OT posts may be removed although no whales will be harmed.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it'd be nice to think they'll have sorted out the errors with the brake gear before putting it into production.

In what sense is it wrong on the sample illustrated on their website?

It's a small photo but it looks pretty much the same as my Patkside ones. 

J.

• RMweb Gold

The configuration brake gear looks OK to me in the photos on the Oxford website... But to my eye at least it looks to be more 9ft wheelbase than 10ft...

According to Tatlow (LNER wagons, 1977, pages 122-123), these wagons were 21ft over headstocks, and the door was 5ft wide, so it would be possible to have a guess based on that. He goes on the say "plate 265 shows one of the rare examples with a 10ft wheelbase. About a dozen were converted to the increased dimension and seven built new was such; but by 1937 when this photograph was taken cattle traffic had dropped so dramatically that no more cattle trucks were built by the LNER and surplus fitted vehicles were converted to 'Conflat Vs' "

Numbers 150878, 150927 and 150969 were definitely 9ft.

Z.G.

P.S. Edited to point out that Dunsignalling has already given this info and added more on page 2 of the thread. Please go and have a look at that - apologies for double posting.

P.P.S. Edited again... Tatlow's LNER Wagons volume 4b 2015 on page 295 states "in 1937 the move was made to a 10ft wheelbase.... ..... With the construction of 700 vacuum braked cattle wagons to diagram 122". These were numbers 195967-196666, confirming Dunsignalling's information.

Edited by Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Premium

In what sense is it wrong on the sample illustrated on their website?

It's a small photo but it looks pretty much the same as my Patkside ones. 

J.

From what I've read elsewhere, I had been given to understand that the brake gear is the same on both sides of the model, which is not the case with the real wagons.

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/oxford-rail-dean-goods-and-wagons-t1452.html

However I hope this will not be the case when the production models appear.

From what I've read elsewhere, I had been given to understand that the brake gear is the same on both sides of the model, which is not the case with the real wagons.

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/oxford-rail-dean-goods-and-wagons-t1452.html

However I hope this will not be the case when the production models appear.

So long as they provide two V hangers, it won't be beyond the wit of man to remove a left hand one on one side and the bar connecting the two hangers :no: