Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

I wonder if Oxford have allowed in the tooling for all the possible variants to enable the maximum potential to be obtained from this model ?

i.e. Twin framed; oil burning with oil tank tender and the pannier tanked type used by the military, as well as the inside framed type already shown 

Perhaps some pre-grouping G.W.R. wagons might also follow to match up with the earlier versions.

RB

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't have that volume of the RCTS, but the lining did continue on at least some of those fitted with Belpaire fireboxes. Here is a pre-topfeed example, cationed as ca. 1911: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls836.htm

...and here is one with topfeed and lining, captioned as ca. 1914

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh55.htm

• Like 1

I'm a bit more impressed having seen the photo Andy posted. Maybe I'll consider it instead of restarting my slightly delayed Mainline conversion, now I can see daylight under the boiler. If various fittings are removable it may be easier to backdate to 1905 condition, as I already have the right fittings if they need replacing. The big question then is how easy it will be to convert to EM.

Actually, that looks rather more impressive than the earlier pictures. I observe a fall plate. However, if we drag our eyes away from the daylight under the boiler, do we detect horizontal boiler handrail knobs?

Nice to see the Dean Goods being RTRd again. Agree the EP pic looks far better than the one Oxford posted earlier today… but do I sense a replay of knobgate?

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's more like it.

Oxford have evidently acted on the aspects that attracted criticism on the Radial.

Reckon my Bachmann Dukedog will be getting a playmate..........

The handrails do have a touch of the J15s/700s abut them but I have to admit that, once those are on the layout doing some work, it no longer catches the eye.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the Dean Goods being RTRd again. Agree the EP pic looks far better than the one Oxford posted earlier today… but do I sense a replay of knobgate?

Whilst I agree in principle to having a gentle rise to ones knob as per prototype, I would not be too unhappy should it remain in the horizontal plane.

It comes down to the overall appearance and I would venture that having one's knob at the wrong angle should not detract from the overall effect......

Rub

• RMweb Premium

Stanchions!

OK, Knobs then.

Edit:

Apologies to Mr Rice, (who always learned me through his scribblings that stanchions hold handrails away from boilers - {oo err, Mrs}) but I have had to bow to peer pressure and admit that I like a good knob joke as much as the next man.

On the subject of Mr Rice, I would also like to publicly apologise to him for picking up his colleague's (Simon de Souza'stool at Larkrail without first asking his permission. 

Edited by Tim Dubya

When it's arrives you can play with them to your hearts content, fiddle with them, adjust their angle etc, I dare say people will be playing with their knobs across the country to achieve the most pleasing aesthetics. I wonder who will have the best looking...

Edited by WD0-6-0

I cannot begin to say how pleased I am - one of each of the GW versions then more to modify to round top fire boxes, with different dome positions.

Hopefully daylight under the boiler this time.

Well done Oxford!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If various fittings are removable it may be easier to backdate to 1905 condition, as I already have the right fittings if they need replacing.

What fittings are those?

It looks very much like 2336 photographed in April 1903 apart from the buffers.

Keith

Edited by melmerby