Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I can confirm that  OR76DG002 is in stock at Hattons - I picked mine up in person this afternoon. The pre-production photographs on the Hatton's website are pretty much 'what you get' - the only difference I have spotted yet is that the whistles have been swapped to be the right way round. There are no smokebox numberplates fitted as is the case in the Hatton's photo.

Andy.

Excellent; makes reliverying to GWR wartime black easier!

But in all seriousness, is this prototypical?

CoY

Probably. Swindon was slow to fit front numberplates to old locomotives with limited life expectancy and many went to the breakers in the early 1950s never having received BR front numberplates. (CJL)

As CJL states, many ex GWR engines did not receive their smokebox numbers as imminent withdrawal was looming.

I am curious about the shorter tender used with the early 1900’s combined filler dome unit. There were still a few of these about, but very rare by the 1950’s. 2516 was withdrawn with hers but be cautious before reaching for the 247 numberplates list. The images of other numbers I have looked at do not have the short tender, but the longer version as seen with the old Mainline model. 

Mike Wiltshire

As CJL states, many ex GWR engines did not receive their smokebox numbers as imminent withdrawal was looming.

I am curious about the shorter tender used with the early 1900’s combined filler dome unit. There were still a few of these about, but very rare by the 1950’s. 2516 was withdrawn with hers but be cautious before reaching for the 247 numberplates list. The images of other numbers I have looked at do not have the short tender, but the longer version as seen with the old Mainline model. 

Mike Wiltshire

I hadn't realised the BR black version has a short Tender. I can see now why John G. at YouChoose said there could be problems fitting a Zimo 645 sound decoder and it may have to be a 648.  I have a Dean Goods on order and I have nothing against gutting Tenders until there are only the outer walls and then building a new top go go around the DCC gubbins. I await its arrival.

Edited by coachmann

Guest 7007GreatWestern

All,

I'm going to retract my posting yesterday when I said that there is no difference between the production version of OR76DG002 and the prototype version as seen on Hatton's website. It does appear that the thickness of the cab side-sheet under the rain strip is significantly deeper than both the pre-production model AND the recent GWR lined green production model!

Judge for yourselves from this photo that has now appeared on Hereford Models website:-

Production model BR Black.......

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_471&products_id=9996

....compared to production model GWR lined green:-

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_471&products_id=9751

....and compared to the Pre-production photo:-

http://www.hattons.co.uk/173656/Oxford_Rail_OR76DG002_Class_2301_Dean_Goods_0_6_0_2409_in_BR_Black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Yep definitely different from the lined green version. Well spotted! I wonder if this is the improvements asked for by Locomotion being applied to the main run locos. Still want to get an unlined green one

Guest 7007GreatWestern

All,

I'm going to retract my posting yesterday when I said that there is no difference between the production version of OR76DG002 and the prototype version as seen on Hatton's website. It does appear that the thickness of the cab side-sheet under the rain strip is significantly deeper than both the pre-production model AND the recent GWR lined green production model!

Judge for yourselves from this photo that has now appeared on Hereford Models website:-

Production model BR Black.......

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_471&products_id=9996

....compared to production model GWR lined green:-

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_471&products_id=9751

....and compared to the Pre-production photo:-

http://www.hattons.co.uk/173656/Oxford_Rail_OR76DG002_Class_2301_Dean_Goods_0_6_0_2409_in_BR_Black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

Regards,

Andy.

....in fact, if my eyes aren't deceiving me the washout plugs are now above the handrail line as well!

I've had mine around 24 hours now. Initial impressions are generally good. It got off to a dodgy start - the first one ran well on DC but was uncontrollable on DCC! A quick return journey down the M62 to Hatton's was necessary. They dealt with it in their customary courteous and professional way. The replacement works fine. It's grown on me. It's surprisingly petite, and fine details such as the outside pull-rods for the brake rods are really fine! The gearing is low so it will run happily at very low speed. The motor is a little noisy though it is improving the more it's run. The running is not quite as smooth as my best locos though better than most.

How you view this model will depend on your familiarity with the prototype and your expectations. There are some very knowledgable folk on RMWeb who will still find this model unsatisfactory and I bow to their greater experience. For me, it's a pleasing rendition that captures the spirit of a handsome and distinctive prototype and fills a significant gap in my collection.

Andy.

• Like 3

I'm still waiting for some pics to be posted, but I fear that my wallet is starting to cower in the corner.

From looking at the pics on the Rails of Sheffield site, it does look as though the wash out plugs might be above the handrail now, but then the handrail does also look to drift down once it has passed through the last handrail nob, so who knows.

I await a selection of photos with interest

• 2 months later...

Yes the loco was reboxed and posted back to  Hattons. And it looks nice to this Aussie ! will report the eventual outcome when that occurs.

Regards,

David Head

I returned the loco, got a refund, immediately ordered another, being a non-fussy Aussie no idea how different it is tot he original one I ordered.

This 'new' one works, moves, and makes noise. I am happy. Thankyou Oxford Rail and Hattons !

Regards,

David Head

Melbourne Australia

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I got one of these for Christmas, but mine has a slight tight spot which is evident at slow speed. Before I take it back to the retailer, I wonder if anyone has seen this issue before, and if there is a straightforward fix? I tried

loosening the keeper plate slightly, but it made little difference.

• RMweb Premium

I think I will wait for the earlier, round top firebox version with Indian red wheels and frames. When will that happen, do you think ?

The same year that Birmingham City win the Premier League? :jester:

Keith

Santa delivered a BR Black Dean. Before repainting GWR green, I made a modification to the tender connector. 

Haulage wise, it was not to clever on my incline and slipped considerably on just three plastic coaches (no issue on the level). On stripping down, I found there was little room for extra weight in the loco. The tender frames are die cast and here is where i figured the challenge was. The weight of the frames added to the weight of the train. 

The GWR used to sit the tender on the rear of the cab frame, so I trialed doing in the same. Out of scrap brass and a track pin I made the two connectors as below. I opened up the retaining molding for the front and middle wheels to stop the frames sitting on the front tender wheels and they now carry no weight a all. They now free float as the frames are now suspended from the back of the loco cab. The weight of the tender frames now pushes down on the  rear loco wheels and the weight now acts in downwards adding to adhesion.

This Dean now starts a five coach train on an incline with no slipping.

post-9992-0-92860500-1514992129_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-73688100-1514992121_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-78959000-1514992134_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ian Allan in Brumm have both non DCC sound models marked down to £70.00!!

There are other Oxford discounts as well, but not the new Toad.

Neal

Already in the "Bargain Hunters Mk2" thread

Keith