Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge 6-plank wagons

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

It'll save me having to look for me for any of the rare 3H LNER 6 plank open kits now as well...!! Typical though at the time this was announced I'd just had two of the 3H LNER 6 planks refurbished :D...!!

Cambrian introduced a rather better kit for the LNER 6-plank open two or three years ago. Ref. C.81

J

Nice to see a LNER 6 plank open, normally manufacturers just relivery a 5 plank.

Hope to see Oxford follow up this LNER 6 plank with a new GWR, LMS and SR Open as well at somepoint... certainly looks much better than what Bachmann will be offering to modellers in a few months time.

Yes, it is nice to see Oxford tackling a grouping company proprietary wagon design - along with the LNER cattle wagon this makes two designs.

It would be nice to see them choose a similar subject in the future.

I'd like to see someone tackle one of the GWR "Felix Pole" 20T coal wagon diagrams.  (I know Hornby has something in the 20T GWR coal wagons, but you don't see it offered very often and it would be nice to see one specifically to the mid-1920s design.)  Perhaps these would be synergistic with the Dean Goods (even though the 8-coupled tanks are probably a more common 'fit' for such traffic).

• RMweb Gold

Cambrian introduced a rather better kit for the LNER 6-plank open two or three years ago. Ref. C.81

I've built several of them, typical really :) I guess the LMS D1666 will be next on their list as I still have 3 or 4 of them to build too :D

Really good to see another non-generic open wagon in RTR though rather than the re-liveried tat we usually get offered.

I've built several of them, typical really :) I guess the LMS D1666 will be next on their list as I still have 3 or 4 of them to build too :D

Really good to see another non-generic open wagon in RTR though rather than the re-liveried tat we usually get offered.

I hope so myself as we do need some prototypically correct examples now. Oxford have shown that you don't need to use an old tooling. Good for the price as well when compared to Bachmann's version too :) Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

This introduction was a no brainer. The 6 plank was at one time the most common wagon on the railways numbering in the 10s of thousands!
If you include the 43 which passed from the Cheshire Lines to the LMS there are 6 pre grouping Pre Nationalisation livery variations for the 9' WB version alone.
Nice one Oxford, you're on to a winner with these! No steam layout should be without at least one!!

post-8964-0-32542000-1454087566_thumb.jpg
10' fitted variant.                                                           bog standard                                                Cheshire Lines livery

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

The 6 plank was at one time the most common wagon on the railways numbering in the 10s of thousands!

The LNER 6 plank was the most common wagon built by the LNER but they were vastly outnumbered by several other types on the railways.  For example the Midland's most common design got to 125,000 examples.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to see some of these appear in their very late liveries suitable for 1970s/80s running if they lasted that long.

I somehow doubt that they would have done; I don't think any wagons with wooden solebars would have been in use by then, other than a few restricted Departmental / Internal User ones possibly.

• RMweb Gold

The LNER 6 plank was the most common wagon built by the LNER but they were vastly outnumbered by several other types on the railways.  For example the Midland's most common design got to 125,000 examples.

Hence why the D1666 might be a good next choice for a future release. :)

• 1 month later...

I see Bachmann's attempt at doing the LNER 6 plank Open has now started now appeared on the market. When compared to what Oxford Rail have got planned, I know who will be having my money. I just now hope we see Oxford follow up now with GWR, LMS and SR Opens...

• 2 months later...