Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge 6-plank wagons

MGR Hooper!

This picture shows the inner floor modified to accept the new Vs and the original and modified brake shoe mouldings, also the 'plain' brake lever modified with a hole through the end to accept the cross shaft, which I made from a piece of paper clip wire.

attachicon.gifP1010893.jpg

How did you manage to get the inner floor out?  I assume it's just glued to the body but, on my example, extremely well glued, so that I was risking damage to the headstock or solebar when trying to prise it away with a screwdriver.  Maybe some are easier?

Pull the buffers out, that should release the chassis.

Marvellous! - easy when you know how - thanks for that.  I would never have spotted that.  When I was trying to prise the inner floor out earlier, the fact that it was beginning to bend alarmingly suggested that it must be glued at either end but, as you say, it's just the buffers keeping it in place.  Being able to separate the inner floor will make adding more weight to an empty wagon easier.

• RMweb Premium

Here's what the old Three Aitch kit looks like inside. Not exactly a primary source, but I'd guess it was surveyed from a surviving vehicle. Note the multiplicity of washer plates in the corner: the big one at the top is clearly meant to be a single item, but split in the kit. There's a very narrow strip protecting the top of the door, but it's on the outside only and doesn't fold over the edge. The top plank is however tapered slightly.

I clearly forgot to paint the interior orange before I weathered it with dust.

post-6813-0-47145500-1472901486_thumb.jpg

post-6813-0-24226800-1472901497_thumb.jpg

This late survivor in Paul Bartlett's photo has gained late type capping strips on the top plank:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/h1744777e#h1744777e

• Like 1

Here's what the old Three Aitch kit looks like inside. Not exactly a primary source, but I'd guess it was surveyed from a surviving vehicle. Note the multiplicity of washer plates in the corner: the big one at the top is clearly meant to be a single item, but split in the kit. There's a very narrow strip protecting the top of the door, but it's on the outside only and doesn't fold over the edge. The top plank is however tapered slightly.

I clearly forgot to paint the interior orange before I weathered it with dust.

attachicon.gifStudio_20160902_184542-1024x576.jpg

attachicon.gifStudio_20160902_184325-1024x576.jpg

This late survivor in Paul Bartlett's photo has gained late type capping strips on the top plank:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/h1744777e#h1744777e

That is a good example to look at, as the broken plank shows the vertical alongside the door is a double strip of steel held apart by the bolts. This does suggest the 3H model is correct.

This has capping strips and shows the re-inforcement at the top of the door. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/eec700e2

This http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e12de462b http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e167ecdd5 shows the inside of the door and that there is no re-inforcing of the inside of the corner.

Paul

That is a good example to look at, as the broken plank shows the vertical alongside the door is a double strip of steel held apart by the bolts. This does suggest the 3H model is correct.

This has capping strips and shows the re-inforcement at the top of the door. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/eec700e2

This http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e12de462b http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e167ecdd5 shows the inside of the door and that there is no re-inforcing of the inside of the corner.

Paul

I now have it on good authority that my photos are showing the only internal steel work that existed - they didn't have corner plates internally only washer plates. This is from GAs as well as photographs used to produce a model a very long time ago. The 3H model as shown appears incorrect if it was like that originally.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The 3H model as shown appears incorrect if it was like that originally.

Paul

It was -the interior ironwork is as moulded. I wonder if it was copied from the 3H LMS D1666 open, which has identical interior ironwork at the corners? Plate 129 in Vol. 1 of LMS Wagons (Essery, OPC 1981) shows the interior of D1666 and the caption references the ironwork, which is substantially correct in the 3H model, if a little heavy.

Unlikely to be a copy of the LMS open arrangement, as this model was released much later than the LNER open: to its considerable benefit, as for this vehicle they went for a bevel fit at the wagon body corners. I'd only assembled half a doz. and the 3H range abruptly went unavailable. (What happened, does anyone know? Good products, I should like to have purchased and constructed more.)

It was -the interior ironwork is as moulded. I wonder if it was copied from the 3H LMS D1666 open, which has identical interior ironwork at the corners? Plate 129 in Vol. 1 of LMS Wagons (Essery, OPC 1981) shows the interior of D1666 and the caption references the ironwork, which is substantially correct in the 3H model, if a little heavy.

Yes the same authority explained how different the LMS open was internally and the 3H model was reasonably accurate.

I sold off lots of 3H open kits a year or two back at the Ebor club exhibition.

Paul

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Construction of some batches were contracted out to such builders as Roberts, the first for instance in 1934 at a cost of one hundred and nineteen pounds ten shillings each (that will only get 11 little plastic ones today). Once private companies had the design and experience it must have been beneficial to offer the design to private owners. Whether that is the case I don't know. However

LNER diagram 91 was a merchandise wagon designed to accept barrows  and would not have been ideal for use as a mineral type as in the case of F. J. Newton, coal merchant of Rugley. 

I'm sure Oxford will sell them, it's an attractive livery! 

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know of a resin coal load suitable for these? I have a train of Hornby 5-planks and Bachmann 13t steel-bodies, all of which take the Hornby Skaledale 5-plank coal load. For the sake of uniformity, a resin load would be good, so does anyone know of one that (a) fits without modification, or (b) can be carved into shape?

Cheers,
Gavin

Edit - the wagon's internal dimensions are 68mm x 30mm x 14mm

Edited by Black Marlin

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann load, as supplied in grey with a set of 3 16ton BR minerals I bought recently, should fit.  You may need to pack underneath them to get the right height; they are a resin moulding (and a very good one, too) on a sponge backing.  The wagon needs to look full, as I cannot remember mineral wagons loaded in any other state; never part full or lightly loaded, only full as an egg or completely empty.  Iron ore tipplers look half full but the load is heavier, up to the 21 tons 'gross' rated (16 tons load plus the wagon's 5 tons).

But I use real coal, and recommend it for the sake of appearance, loaded into the wagons which are then flooded with a 50/50 water/pva mix which is left to go off over a day or so.  You can tip them up and handle them without the coal falling out.  They can be unloaded if really needed, and I don't recommend them as loose loads because you are bound to spill one all over the layout however careful you are.  My method is to have two trains, one loaded and one empty; you could extend this to have exactly the same wagons in each train if you want, but then they cannot appear on the scenic part of the layout together.  The real coal, mined by me at Big Pit museum in Blaenafon, gives a nice feeling of deadweight and momentum to the loaded train, though it is limited by the size of my BLT to 11 wagons and is no challenge for any of my locos; a Hornby 42xx is overkill but looks the part!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also use this, just like young Johnster. I will profile the top of the coal, as I presume the colliery used 'trimmers' (labourers to 'trim' the coal load). Last year I used Fros-Yr-Fran seam coal, used off the coal pile at Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway. We create enough dust to last me for the next century or two, so no trouble there.

For foam, look into a builders skip. I use 'closed insulation', which goes by the trade names of Celotex, or Kingspan. You can carve it to any reasonable shape, and I'd guess it's good for scenery as well.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help chaps.

I've found someone making resin loads online whose example intended for the Mainline 16t mineral wagon has the same dimensions, so that will do well. 

As for real coal, I use it too: I have rakes of 20t LNER hoppers and 9-plank wagons that are filled with the stuff. However, while a rake of resin loads looks acceptable, and rake of real coal loads looks very good indeed, a rake that mixes both looks wrong - hence the need to find resin loads for the OR 6-planks.

As for 'building up the load height': in the case of Dapol wagons I just paint the supplied plastic load with glue and sprinkle the real stuff on top; other wagons are built up internally using offcuts of balsa or foamboard depending on what I have to hand.

Regards,
Gavin

As post 65 these are merchandise wagons, rather than mineral wagons. No doubt occasionally used for minerals - plenty of evidence of other merchandise wagons being used for minerals on occasion though. Your train set and all that though!

Does anyone know of a resin coal load suitable for these? I have a train of Hornby 5-planks and Bachmann 13t steel-bodies, all of which take the Hornby Skaledale 5-plank coal load. For the sake of uniformity, a resin load would be good, so does anyone know of one that (a) fits without modification, or (b) can be carved into shape?

Cheers,

Gavin

Edit - the wagon's internal dimensions are 68mm x 30mm x 14mm

• 2 years later...