Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Excellent move by Oxford Rail, though IMHO the Hornby offering wasn't so bad, I think getting some really good detailed ones was a good thing. I look forward to seeing these. Only 2 things worry me - price and liveries. Though by Oxford's history price should be more than just competitive. In terms of livery I wonder what they'll do? matching stuff for Hornby or Bachmann?

Excellent move by Oxford Rail, though IMHO the Hornby offering wasn't so bad, I think getting some really good detailed ones was a good thing. I look forward to seeing these. Only 2 things worry me - price and liveries. Though by Oxford's history price should be more than just competitive. In terms of livery I wonder what they'll do? matching stuff for Hornby or Bachmann?

Great news! i had not picked up on the fact that Oxford Diecast were making moves into the model railway market. I've always been a fan of their model vehicles and have been greatly impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm of their staff (who I have met at various events) for their products.

I think picking up on the MK3's is a good move on their part. I would agree that by and large the Hornby/Lima offerings aren't all that bad. But the forum is rife with comments about inaccuracies in currently available offerings and from a more personal point of view, the current legacy models overlook any real detail in the carriage ends and coupling mechanisms.

On the down side I have about fifty or so Mk3 carriages in four different liveries and covering the usual TGS, Buffet and sleeper variants. Knowing my penchant for falling in love with the better model, should Oxford Rail make a good job of their own Mk3's, it could turn out to be an expensive time!!!!!!

If they follow their track record from their POs they will be cheap with nicely moulded detail only appropriate for late in the life of the prototypes and painted in liveries never carried by the coaches the models represent.

Edited by asmay2002
  • Like 1

That's an unexpected announcement! The only question is which livery variations do they start with as there have been so many over the years. Perhaps this is where some of those companies who like to commission special editions can step in with commissions for the some of the more obscure liveries such as on the Pullmans or the Scotrail Push Pull coaches.

Edited by bennyboy

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being the voice of negativity I worry that this will affect Rapido's planning. They're doing the prototype HST and hinting at matching coaches. If they did the prototype Mk.3 then I had hopes they'd do a wider range of Mk.3 models but I think they'd be brave to do that if they would be competing against a new Oxford model as well as the existing Hornby/Limby tooling which are still decent models for the lower end of the market. Based on the Adams radial and the North American models I have from Rapido I just think a Rapido release would be the one to hope for.

• RMweb Premium

Rapido could still do a Mk3 . I think they are likely to do one for the prototype HST . I can't imagine anyone just producing the power car. They could do a very highly detailed one at a price, catering for that market (Rapido can have low production runs which would probably cater for the High Fidelity market). I see the Oxford one as competing for the Middle market , where people like running trains and are not too bothered at pipes underneath etc . It will have to be competitively priced given the relative low cost of Hornby versions, especially when sold in Bundles direct by Hornby

The prototype HST mk3s have a lot of differences compared with Production sets. Indeed 21st century survivors have differences compared with BR days.

This is welcome, although Oxford has no apt locos to run with them.

No lights however, which I am certain Rapido's HST prototypes will have ( if they are like their LRC coaches).

• RMweb Gold

without wishlisting, i hope they do the chiltern electric plug door variety, would be quite a change in the tooling though

Jim I have literally an hour ago emailed them to express my interest in exactly those coaches. Received a reply as well and they want info from potential customers on what liveries to cover. Punt them an email.

I now expect Hornby will hint at new mk3s in their next Engine Shed blog thingy. :devil:

They already have: a video a few weeks ago appeared to show Mk3 ends.

It almost looks like Oxford Rail are deliberately going head-to-head with Hornby. Wouldn't be my strategy for breaking into this market, but what interesting times.

Paul

It almost looks like Oxford Rail are deliberately going head-to-head with Hornby. Wouldn't be my strategy for breaking into this market, but what interesting times.

Paul

Or is it the other way round, and Hornby are deliberately targeting Oxford Rail?

• RMweb Premium

Didn't Oxford rail state their range would be joined up such as matching coaches with loco. Does this mean they are looking at a modern loco to match?

Cue wishlisting for 87s and other similar locos with coathangers on top...........................

I just hope they don't do any yellow Mk3s

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Paul

Out of question, which video is that? The only one I can see a few Mk3s appearing in the background is the Q6 one - those Mk3s appear to be the standard release ATW Mk3s.

Cue wishlisting for 87s and other similar locos with coathangers on top...........................

I just hope they don't do any yellow Mk3s

Cheers,

Mick

Or FGW ones... ;)

More specifically FGW buffets............

Or the TSD, Ex Buffets, Ex MML, 408 series or Mini Buffet I might have just completed! At least we know Oxford are more likely to actually produce a Mk3 Buffet which will have the Catering Roof Vents included. I rather hope that we'll see at least 3 catering vehicles from Oxford, the 4 Window TRSB, 3 Window TRFB and an RFM or two. Unlike the scratch ex Limby effort from Hornby.

Out of question, which video is that? The only one I can see a few Mk3s appearing in the background is the Q6 one - those Mk3s appear to be the standard release ATW Mk3s. ...

An Engine Shed video. Can't find it at the moment (am on the iPhone rather than at home), but it was also much discussed on here at the time - it may indeed have been the Q6 one. The question is indeed whether they are a new tooling or more of the same.

I guess we'll find out shortly.

Paul

An Engine Shed video. Can't find it at the moment (am on the iPhone rather than at home), but it was also much discussed on here at the time - it may indeed have been the Q6 one. The question is indeed whether they are a new tooling or more of the same.

I guess we'll find out shortly.

Paul

Indeed so. Although if it is the Q6 one, they appear to be more of the ATW release Mk3s, as well as a forthcoming Blue Grey one lurking in the background. Probably on the test circuit to run with the forthcoming ATW 67 (although hopefully it wasn't being expected to provide ETH, if the real 67003 is anything to go by!)

Since Hornby already have Mk3 coaching stock in their range, I'm mystified by your question.

Paul

I wasn't referring specifically to Mk3 stock (so apologies if that was a little off topic) but more to the duplication that has already happened (and I am aware that other companies were looking at the Adams Radial) - if Hornby announce a Dean Goods I think we have the basis of a conspiracy theory....,

Edit to add: my original remark was being a little bit flippant, but....

Edited by sp1