Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Or is it the other way round, and Hornby are deliberately targeting Oxford Rail?

Since Hornby already have Mk3 coaching stock in their range, I'm mystified by your question.

Paul

The current scale length Hornby Mk3 isn't regarded as being up to modern standards, and more importantly they have chosen to use Lima tooling for the TGS and Sleeper when they would have been better starting with new tooling and increasing the range with a loco hauled Buffet with correct Windows and roof vents.

But what seems strange now is why the two big manufacturers haven't bothered with a new Mk3, it's almost like they knew someone was going to jump in and have been waiting for this day....

At the risk of being the voice of negativity I worry that this will affect Rapido's planning. They're doing the prototype HST and hinting at matching coaches. If they did the prototype Mk.3 then I had hopes they'd do a wider range of Mk.3 models but I think they'd be brave to do that if they would be competing against a new Oxford model as well as the existing Hornby/Limby tooling which are still decent models for the lower end of the market. Based on the Adams radial and the North American models I have from Rapido I just think a Rapido release would be the one to hope for.

I echo your concerns. I really welcome these new Mk3 coaches. However when it comes to HST variants it will be a bit of an issue as they will have to see what Hornby makes. It may or may not affect Hornby's sales. Hornby's current offering isn't bad at all. If Rapido do it they will do the prototype ones which I believe are different. My only worry is what liveries Oxford will release. They have to either look at Hornby or Bachmann and release something according to that.

Or is it the other way round, and Hornby are deliberately targeting Oxford Rail?

Well I'm guessing you said that on a light note...But these kind of posts are absolutely pointless and just starts a whole bunch of pointless arguments as to who is duplicating who and we will never know who did. Unnecessarily accusing one manufacturer or targeting another is just a waste of time and forum space. One can already see this thread going off topic.

Cue wishlisting for 87s and other similar locos with coathangers on top...........................

I just hope they don't do any yellow Mk3s

Cheers,

Mick

Well they have to do something that matches loco hauled Mk3s for sure. Class 86, Class 87, (Im sure they can get a Class 90 out faster than Bachmann) etc.

• Like 1

The Engine Shed video was the one that had the Peckett tucked away in the background as well. The main topic was new southern coaches. It doesn't really give much away apart from the vestibule end doors may have the correct little Windows.

Cheers

Shane

Just my opinion, but Hornby have had a fine monopoly on mk3 and mk4 vehicles and have slept on it. These are way off the pace compared to the best coaches in their and Bachmann's ranges, and similar stock in HO.

Competition is good, and I suspect Oxford Rail have taken on board the criticism of their launch products. If the Dean goods' EP appearance is representative of where they are aiming, then better things are on the way.

I certainly welcome that someone is going to do mark 3s to modern standard.

Liveries of course will present some bug bears. There will be some slight difficulties in two different manufacturers getting colour perfectly matched between them. The older BR ones will be easier in this respect than more modern ones, but even a basic BR blue has shown great differences between one make and another.

More modern liveries pose author rights. If a Hornby or Bachmann have exclusive rights, that will be one batch missed.

But very happy they are doing these.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

Are those drawings meant to be giving us a clue as to which types they will be producing with the different window sizes?

That looks like a composite drawing covering many options - including a TGS. Various roof and underframe details as well all overlaid on each other

Are there any major catering Mk3 variants not covered by the drawing?

That looks like a composite drawing covering many options - including a TGS. Various roof and underframe details as well all overlaid on each other

The 3 windowed TRUB/TRFB doesn't seem to be catered for in those drawings which is somewhat strange since it was very common.

And I don't think that the 4 windowed TRUK/TRFK is depicted either (though may be wrong) which wasn't so common but that would preclude the original formation for ECML rakes being modelled plus the ECML Pullman HST rakes. Prototype links of both sides given below for comparison:

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p746052712/hd739ff3#hd739ff3

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p746052712/h1002d956#h1002d956

But it's early days and we have no idea whether the drawing is even meant to be complete.

I asked in an email about liveries and options like Royal coaches. I received a reply thanking me for the livery suggestions saying they are seeking views on those. Also hinted that they have a modular design which could allow for Royal coaches etc at some stage if considered viable. Sounds like good news to me. I've put in my request for fag packet to save the homemade option or crazy eBay Lima prices!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully they do accurately model the Royal Train coaches at some point, complete with the double doors on HM The Queens saloon. Would save a great deal of conversions. Possibly the Mk3 coaches for the Royal Scotsman train too? One can but hope.

Hopefully they do accurately model the Royal Train coaches at some point, complete with the double doors on HM The Queens saloon. Would save a great deal of conversions. Possibly the Mk3 coaches for the Royal Scotsman train too? One can but hope.

I'm pretty sure the Royal Train coaches would sell. I hope they do that. If they do the Royal Train coaches I would surely buy a set as I have the Hornby Class 67 to go along with it.

Well that was unexpected...

I may well invest in some LHCS once it becomes available. May leave my Lima Mk3s on HST duty though.

Difficulty will be the colours - do they match other manufacturer liveries which were sometimes totally wrong (looking at Hornby's Intercity Exec light grey/beige) or do the correct colour and risk them not matching Hornby's HST power cars etc?

Edited by sub39h

Doesn't look like the BFO is catered for

i found this announcement by chance.  amazed its not been discussed more given the myriads of threads over the years calling for updated Mk3s..........

the time is right for new Mk3s of modern tooling with hopefully some decent gangway connectors (that sit inside the coach ends (like Jouef managed to do nicely) not just plastic outer gangways stuck onto a flat end) that touch on straight track, correct tinting of the glazing, disc brake wheel inserts, correct roof details, pre and post CDL versions unlike the N gauge Dapol Mk3 that comes as a CDL only.......hopefully sleeper models will follow too and an ability to be fitted easily disassembled so they can be detailed inside and fitted with lights.

Id say the key loco hauled liveries are the blue/grey, scotrail, executive and virgin.  Oxford Rail have a hell of a job on their hands here though given all the variants and so many more liveries.

I wonder how detailed the interiors will be? 

what you want also is joined up thinking about releasing matching sets ie; not just say first class of one livery and a buffet in another with a 3 year wait in between to buy others to make up a rake.

I'm pretty sure the Royal Train coaches would sell. I hope they do that. If they do the Royal Train coaches I would surely buy a set as I have the Hornby Class 67 to go along with it.

Over the years Oxford's diecast range has included a wide range of cars owned or used by the Royal Family. Some are from deep in the past, and others within the reign of our Queen. I would be surprised not to see Royal Train Mark 3s in the Oxford Rail range.

• RMweb Premium

what you want also is joined up thinking about releasing matching sets ie; not just say first class of one livery and a buffet in another with a 3 year wait in between to buy others to make up a rake.

Surely no brand would be that daft?! Next you'll be saying you'd like all coaches in a rake to actually match livery. Rather than a lucky dip approach to roof colouring...!