Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Oh most likely. The quoted post of mine in Phils reply in post #735 was referring to the Hornby power cars, not the Mk3 so that may be where the confusion started.

Sorry for the confusion - I was referring to the MK3 coaches, not the Power cars

Oh most likely. The quoted post of mine in Phils reply in post #735 was referring to the Hornby power cars, not the Mk3 so that may be where the confusion started.

The Batman wouldn't make these mistakes, I thought that Superman would see right through them

John

I am certainly holding off from buying anymore Hornby Mk3s. It is Hornby's loss that they did not bring the Mk3 up to modern standards. 

I am sure in time (and I am in no rush or ill-patience) the HST semi-permiant raked Mk3s shall appear in classic BR and modern liveries. (Ideally GWR without that disgusting gloss finish Hornby seem hell bent on producing).

If you look back, Oxfords have show HST semi-permiant raked Mk3 tooling and I do recommend getting in-touch with them if interested in the project at all. I shall just say, good times are coming for us modern modeller! 

I just hope that the new Oxford Mk3 coaches do indeed match the Hornby HST power cars, that would be great, as they are a very nice model.
If this is not to be, then I further hope that Oxford do go on to produce power cars that match and are of equal,if not better quality than the Hornby version.

Oxfords held a poll when first announced, as to whether modellers would prefer colour batched to the necessary locomotive made by another manufacturer or to match the true colour. The result was reported at the time, that the vote was overwhelmingly for true colour rather than rival matching, seeing as for many Mk3s there is more than one rivals product which could be a suitable locomotive. Though during the consultation I voted and made comments that if I was to depart with my First Great Western Mk3s, it would have to match the Hornby HST, even though Hornby's attempt at FGW blue is woefully inadequate. Ironic!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oxfords held a poll when first announced, as to whether modellers would prefer colour batched to the necessary locomotive made by another manufacturer or to match the true colour. The result was reported at the time, that the vote was overwhelmingly for true colour rather than rival matching, seeing as for many Mk3s there is more than one rivals product which could be a suitable locomotive. Though during the consultation I voted and made comments that if I was to depart with my First Great Western Mk3s, it would have to match the Hornby HST, even though Hornby's attempt at FGW blue is woefully inadequate. Ironic!  

Perhaps one way forward would be for Oxford to colour match their HST Mk3 versions to Hornby, but go their own way with the loco hauled variants? More complicated and with more potential for mistakes to be made though.

They are in a lose-lose with colour matching.

Some would prefer to have something which matches existing locos.

Others would prefer to have colours matched to BR.

As with most paint, the real thing would have faded over time anyway (especially the red stripe) so who could say what is right or wrong?

I didn't realise until looking at some modern video of GWR HSTs how much the vehicles have been modified from original build structure. Obviously this example can be painted onto a "traditional" bodyshell  https://photos.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk3-HST-Trailers/401xx-Series-Mk3-TSMB-GN2G/i-jr3K5Lm/0/c86d8fb0/XL/40114_BristolTM_010510%20%287%29-XL.jpg

But the modifications to the vehicles fitted with the disabled area would need a new mould or serious plugs

https://photos.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk3-HST/Mk3-TS-423xx/i-5qJPJxx/0/326e4198/S/42310...16-01-08-S.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on when the MK3's will be with us and also are they fitting lights to the carriages? Many thanks Chris

Chris,

I can answer the first bit, as I have been in touch with Oxford today.  They are currently awaiting production slots, so no definitive date of release yet.

I emailed the other day regarding the Virgin liveried models and they couldn't yet give a time as Virgin group hadn't signed off samples.

By coincidence I heard a similar comment about the Dapol N gauge HST re-run, on the Dapol stand at the International N Gauge Show. At least the RevolutioN Pendolino got past the hurdle and looked brilliant running at the show.

I spoke to a gentleman from Oxford at the Great Dorset Steam Fair a couple of weeks ago (shhhh don't tell anyone in DEMU I went). The rep I spoke to was still suggesting they would be released this year... but maybe that's changed in the last two weeks?

He also suggested that they would be produced without lights.

Guy

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Premium

Concerned by this, I've just contacted Oxford and got the following very quick reply:

"We’re still mulling it over – I’ll announce the formal decision on the website once we decide."[/size]

Dave

This seems to have gone on for sometime now. I remember back at Model Rail Scotland the guy said then that they were considering lighting. It does appear we have come no further forward since then. Come on , what's the delay on this?

My own preference is no lights and much cheapness. But an option to fit lights would surely please most folk .

As they haven't as yet decided whether or not to fit lights , it must mean there is no production slot booked for them, from which I suspect we are still some way away.

In some respects I'm glad these are being delayed.... when they were initially announced I ordered one blue grey and one intercity rake.... they the second release announcement had Scotrail livery, which somehow, ended up being pre ordered to complement my 47/7's..... recently I'd started to get slightly worried that both release announcements would end up becoming one production batch all arriving at the same time and the resulting damage to the credit card..... at least now I kind of know they'll all arrive at the same time and I can save and prepare for there eventual arrival....

seems to have rocketed along to painted sample stage and now we're in total contraflow mode over the lighting. I dont get it.  If its so difficults then fit all the pick ups into the bogies and leave it at that. folk are often ranting about not wanting lighting and dont want to pay for it when they dont want it.  How about a Dapol light bar type of option or at least with pick ups fitted modellers can build their own.

Personally I feel the coaches should come dcc and non dcc so that they have some commonality with the new Bachmann Mk2f range which lets face it some people are going to mix up with these Mk3s but having some coaches with lights and some without is not the ideal in a rake.  Having seen the Bachmann video showing the new coaches it clearly goes to show how good the coaches would look.   People have layout with colour light signals, street lights, platform lights, lit up buildings, lights on engines and in cabs and it seems the last piece of thejigsaw for those who like to depict night and day scenes having coaching stock without interior lighting doesnt really add up.

I would be surprised if the extra cost is more than a tenner per coach in mass production.

I say this on the basis that if should only be done if done right and Bachmann looks to have set the bar on coach lighting so 3 x LEDs stuck to the inside of the roof is not going to cut it.

• RMweb Premium

My suspicion , and it's only that , is that the delay is probably more due to pricing . These are very attractively priced at £29.95 . This has been going on so long now that I've forgotten when announced but I think it was before the Brexit referendum, when the value of the £ dropped. I'm wondering if they are trying to figure out ways they can deliver this model within the existing price and whether they need to reposition it in the market.

As to lighting , I still think this is a gimmick. Fair does for those that want it , have an option to install. For those that don't let's keep the price down. Frankly I'd rather have Bachmann Mk2 DBSO without the extra complexity of DCC and all the gubbins. I just want a coach for the end of my push pulls that I run in daylight.

We'd all understand if the price was to rise to keep the lighting and set a realistic target. Bachmanns price for the Mk.2's is rather higher yet having seen some samples I think would be worth it.

The danger is that Oxford having set the bar so high and aimed for a great model, now devalue those efforts.

My suspicion , and it's only that , is that the delay is probably more due to pricing . These are very attractively priced at £29.95 . This has been going on so long now that I've forgotten when announced but I think it was before the Brexit referendum, when the value of the £ dropped. I'm wondering if they are trying to figure out ways they can deliver this model within the existing price and whether they need to reposition it in the market.

Announced January 2016, pre-referendum. 

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they should just do a poll on here..

Do you want them with lights, yes /no.

Would you pay an extra (whatever) for them with light yes/no.

To me lights is a big yes.

I've been disappointed that Hornby appear to have dropped it (to the point I canceled buying the blue/grey rake and I'll keep my Bachmanns.).

Not sure how lights will work on DC on the new Bachmann coaches, but if they will I'm in the market, if not, I'm not so sure.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how you do these poll things , but seems like a good suggestion.

I'm a definite no for lighting , and make them as cheap as possible. The £29 quoted from Rails ( I think £34.95 from Oxford) will do me just fine. I'd be severely hacked off if the price jumped a tenner because it's got lights that I really don't want . Accepting they should be made light compatible for those that do want lighting.

To me this is one of the disadvantages of DCC. Bells and whistles (probably literally) are being added just because you can , but it's significantly driving the cost up for those who don't want it and it increases complexity (inter unit connections for instance so one DCC chip can suffice)Just give me a nicely decorated, scale model .

Edited by Legend

Personally, I would definitely want lights.

If they don't come fitted with lights or at least readily convertible, I'm not sure I would replace my Hornby ones, as even the finer detail of the Oxford ones wouldn't be a sufficient step up to justify replacing at least five rakes, especially given the sentimental value of my Hornby Mk3's, having spent many hours respraying and improving them.