The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

If you could tell me the colours of the stripes on the resistor, I could have told you what value it was, but unfortunately if you've painted it black that won't work any more!

Another tip - rather than running chunky wires down your coach, I'd recommend using self-adhesive copper tape (sold for lighting circuits in dolls houses) as it is about as thick as sellotape and can be hidden very neatly inside the sides before you fit the compartment dividers, then disguised with a coat of paint (put another layer of masking tape over the top and the paint won't scratch off leaving shiny copper!). Run the tape under the windows and you won't need to run wires up to the ceiling either, so everything's nicely hidden away out of sight. :)

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

Well it is not very bright! The resistor that is plugged into it came with them for use with track power, I don't know enough to actually tell you what power it is.

As for LV boards, the Brighton used both bards and lamps depending on time of day. I am going to try making an LV board that can be plugged into the hole as well, giving me a full range of options for the back of each rake.

Gary

Hi Gary....

Nice Tail Lamp....

Now then, LV boards, don't make it from brass sheet with pins soldered on....BANG!  :O

:jester:

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the Terrier feature.....the sold on to others locos.

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Sarah!

The aim for the LV boards is to cut them out of 10 thou plasticard on my Silhouette cutter, however it is at the office at the moment so that will need to wait.

I will look out for Model Rail when I am next at the shop.

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Nice to see your conversions.  I have long considered something similar but conversations on my coach thread have convinced me that I need to convert some GWR clerestories into, yes you guessed it, GWR clerestories.  The GWR sent through coaches to the Cambrian from at least two places.  The coaches would have been bogie clerestory composites or more probably brake composites.  Just need to do some more research.  Six wheel clerestories would be fun as well.

I like your tail lamp.  I wonder if it would be possible to do it with shorter wires out the back of it?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Yes shorter wires would be possible, as you can tell all the photos were done while it was still on the workbench. so the wires out the lamp were as long as I could get away with to make playing easier, I have just measured them as 5mm, I would imagine based on the thickness of the carriage wall that it would be quite easy to half that.

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Gary....

>Snipped..

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the Terrier feature.....the sold on to others locos.

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

Update on Model Rail...

Loco Spotlight Stroudley's 'Terriers' Part 2. (The Locos sold by the LBSCR)

Pages 88 - 93.

Pages 88/89

Introduction and large photo of "Freshwater", W8 in Southern Green at IOW Steam Railway.

Pg. 90.

Details of 6 destinations. 3 small BW pics, (K&ESR, L&SWR & SECR) and one colour pic (Newhaven Harbour. Fenchurch 1958).

Pg.91.

Details of 4 destinations. 3 B/W pics. (S&MR, WC&PR & EHLR). Reccomended Reading. What's Next (Details of Part 1backnumber!).

Pg.92.

"Second-hand 'Terrier' walk-round". 7, mainly detail pics, of BR 32670 (Ex K&ESR, with unique modified bunker...)

Pg. 93.

Isle of Wight.The IOW Terriers. 2 BW photos, inluding 1 with Stroudley type coach set 49 (Both 1936). List of details of IOW Terriers.

No bundle deal this month though! :(

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Well for those that haven't seen it I started a new thread dedicated to my narrow gauge efforts. The basic plans for it have been in my mind for a while. So now that I have started to build up stock I have decided it is time to start the thread.

In the meantime while discussion has been on going on there about suitable stock, I decided to do a bit of standard gauge modelling.

Now some will remember that I have a loco to build this year, with it needing finishing by a certain date in November.

So with some brass in hand and a few copies of the drawings work was started:

post-22762-0-79037300-1527115251_thumb.jpg

but being the practical person that I claim to be, I found a loco to steal the boiler from, those of a nervous disposition (of just fans of the LNER may want to look away now)!!

post-22762-0-63237100-1527115321_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-42475800-1527115327_thumb.jpg

Conveniently the smoke box door is also quite a good match for the LBSC one so not a lot to do, although the funnel and dome will need changing:

post-22762-0-18464400-1527115387_thumb.jpg

I am also using the chassis from this loco, which we have seen before, but here it is shown with the drawing to show how close the wheelbase is:

post-22762-0-62869800-1527115633_thumb.jpg

and after a bit of work on the brass, we are starting to get a loco:

post-22762-0-89872900-1527115673_thumb.jpg

and on it's chassis:

post-22762-0-60588200-1527115743_thumb.jpg

and with a Terrier for scale, it is a rather larger tank engine!!

post-22762-0-35921300-1527115804_thumb.jpg

and finally tonight I have added the second side and attached the body to the footplate, the solder needs tidying up, but all in all not a bad weeks work if you ask me! The footplate isn't nearly as wobbly as it looks in the pictures!!

post-22762-0-32265100-1527115936_thumb.jpg

So we have finally started on "Remembrance" and I think we should see it finished in time for 11/11/18

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 3

I was hoping my putting-off the CAD for this one would lead to this! :jester:

I agree with Alex's observation regarding liquid flux though - that stuff is what lead me to build a brass kit successfully.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone!!

Usually I would agree with you about flux, but in fact I am having a totally different issue with the solder! I have got myself some 60/40 tin/lead solder, and it flows like water, even without flux! I am not used to working with such easy flowing solder and need to teach myself to use less.

Alex, yes it will be works grey, as that is the only livery ever worn by Remembrance in LBSC service.

As for your CAD Sir Eustace! I was hoping that putting this off would bring your CAD forward!!

Gary

• Like 3

Very nice, Gary - I'll be interested to see Remembrance in the flesh this weekend! Did you have any trouble mounting the rear bogie, or did you use the existing screw hole for the rear pony truck on the A1 (no, not the Stroudley one...)? The thing to remember about 60/40 solder is it melts at a lower temperature than lead-free, so it becomes very "wet" more easily.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Linny,

Remembrance shall be waiting your inspection at the weekend! Unfortunately the original hole was in the wrong place for the bogie mount, so the pillar had to be removed and a new hole drilled. Not the hardest job in the world, but it could have been easier

post-22762-0-58994200-1527152378_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Another expensive loco coming! :O

LBSCR Class E1...

Model Rail comission it seems, to be made by Rapido Trains....

The 'E1' model is still some way off, as it is intended for release in 2020. (CJL)

Some info here....

By Graham 'Muz' Muspratt...

https://grahammuz.com/2018/06/05/model-rail-magazine-announce-ex-lbsc-e1-0-6-0-in-00/]/url]

Started by....sem34090...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134706-model-rail-announce-lbscr-class-e1-0-6-0t/

Edited by Sarahagain

More rolling stock news...

Brighton area models from Gaugemaster....

Gaugemaster is making some Limited Edition locos and wagons pertaining to Brighton!

http://www.gaugemaster.com/news/Gaugemaster-Collection-Announcements-11.06

The  Loco is only in O Gauge...Brighton Works A1X Terrier BR 32635....so 1950s early 1960s...

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM7210101

There are two PO wagons...in both pristine and weathered versions.

These are the OO versons, also to be made in O, and N Gauges...

GM4410101 5 Plank Wagon Corrall & Co Ltd 166 Brighton
Only £13.95

GM4410102 5 Plank Wagon Corrall & Co Ltd 166 Brighton Weathered

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM4410102
Only £14.95

GM4410201 7 Plank Wagon South & Gasson 105 Brighton

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM4410201
Only £12.95

GM4410202 7 Plank Wagon South & Gasson 105 Brighton Weathered
Only £13.95

The real wagons are early ones, probably Pre-grouping?

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

GM4410102 5 Plank Wagon Corrall & Co Ltd 166 Brighton Weathered

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM4410102

Only £14.95

GM4410201 7 Plank Wagon South & Gasson 105 Brighton

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM4410201

Only £12.95

The real wagons are early ones, probably Pre-grouping?

I don't have my books to hand but reference to the POWSides website suggests that the red is an early colour for Corrall wagons and the style of larger lettering used by Gaugemaster is later and used on grey painted wagons. But they may well have other photographic evidence. Anyway I'm "sceptical" of the authenticity of a 10ft-wheelbase steel-framed oil-axleboxed wagon with both side brakes as the basis of this model...

Cambrian do a kit - their C49 - for the Gloucester 6 1/2 plank wagon; presumably Gaugemaster are building a batch of these for their South & Gasson wagon?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2