The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Sarah,

I have been watching those, and am tempted by both but I don't expect anything too good to be honest,

Stephen,

The announcement listed Dapol as making the wagons, this makes me think they will be the standard Dapol open wagon, which while I have a few, (including South & Gasson) is very wrong for the era!!!

Dan,

Thanks, if you want a copy of the drawings drop me a PM!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack,

I have been following your N15x, and other build with interest, the M7 looks great by the way!!

In fact having seen your thread looking for N15x info in the Southern Railway Group section I now have lot's of A C Perryman books!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The footplate was cut to be over length so that I had plenty of material to play with, I then used some rollers along with the frames to bend the footplate to shape, soldering to the frames as I went.

As for attaching it to the chassis, there are a couple of places where the chassis has suitable places to put bolts through, so the body will be getting captive nuts for these to screw into.

Gary

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good day everyone!!

How are we all this fine day??

Bad news I haven't done any modelling, I did however have a rather enjoyable time with the Uckfield MRS N gauge layout at the Bluebell Model Railway show last weekend.

I got the chance to meet some more members of the wonderful pre-grouping community in the form of mikenadnel, AVS1998, and sem34090. I didn't take many pictures as there wasn't much in the way of pre-grouping there, you can however have a picture of LB&SCR Terrier number 54 Waddon on the club layout though:

post-22762-0-39311200-1530021353_thumb.jpg

and while that is the only picture from a layout I took, you can all enjoy these 2 photos!!!!

post-22762-0-08154300-1530021454_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-65418400-1530021466_thumb.jpg

Gary

post-22762-0-39311200-1530021353_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-08154300-1530021454_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-65418400-1530021466_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 10

Please note - no hard feelings there! Just one has a rather known track record for pointing out flaws with RTR models, which at the cost they are is only right!

But Gary and I did conclude that the main problem with an Oxford Dean Goods is...

It's a GWR engine.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I am glad we have people like James that are capable of spotting these things and pointing them out, I know I wouldn't notice without being told!!!

I'm not sure that was the Dean Goods biggest problem, that may have been your ability to drive it!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

Yes, that's true!

Though I still blame that on the trackwork... and the fact that being sound fitted meant it took forever to start moving and forever to slow down! Took a lot of getting used to that much inertia!

• Like 2

Of the stock used at the weekend:

LSWR M7 - Didn't derail much.

SECR N - Derailed fairly frequently.

SECR C - Didn't derail too much.

SECR P - Didn't derail at all unless I was a lazy signalman...

LBSCR A1x - Didn't derail at all unless I was a lazy signalman...

LBSCR E4 - Derailed on shunting duties.

LBSCR E2 - Was hopeless, but then again it was mine!

GWR 2301 - Took a disliking to me but was fine with it's owner because he's a Western enthusiast!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No they're not!

Not much of a Western fan, but the 14xx is a lovely little engine and I won't hear a word said against it!

Well, of course: it's a 1930s modernised replica of a rather nice 1860s engine, from Wolverhampton not Swindon. Shame about the ugly cab.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mate,

She stalled after my last update, it has been so long I can't remember why!! I suppose I should get her back out and get on with it!! (3 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days until the deadline!!)

Gary

Hi Mate,

She stalled after my last update, it has been so long I can't remember why!! I suppose I should get her back out and get on with it!! (3 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days until the deadline!!)

Gary

You have my support if only moral, looking forward to seeing remembrance as it had such graceful lines.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Oak Hill post number 2000!!

A confessional.............

For some time now Oak Hill has not worked, trains have not run, except in very small sections that have been sorted as and when needed, and even these have not been permanent fixes. Electrical problems have been evident at every turn throughout the layouts life, and on more than one occasion it has nearly led to the scrapping of the layout!! :scared: Some of these events have been quite recent.

It has effected my mojo, it has caused me to wonder why I even bother modelling railways at times, after all if I cannot build a working layout then what is the point. It has even caused my other layout Hailsham to go on hold for over a year because I couldn't face doing the wiring, it seemed pointless, and has even invited visits from the Black Dog, some of those visits have been very recent.

However each time I come to this forum I see people having the same issues and persevering, I see supportive comments for the things I have done, and most importantly I see friends! This support has always pulled me back, and if has always made me reconsider scrapping the layout.

Some projects I have done have been great fun, The recent narrow gauge work, Brighthelmstone, improving old RTR models such as the Dublo R1, but for a long time any work involving Oak Hill as a layout has not been fun, the layout now sits with unfinished buildings in my living room under a rather thick coating of dust. It has been neglected, and used more as a storage area than anything else.

Well due to the support I have had from people on here I have decided that it is time for that to change!! As of today the layout is going to get a clean-up, get rewired anywhere it needs it, and most importantly it's going to get enjoyed!!

The layout has already been cleared off ready for work. So let's get it done!!

post-22762-0-05178600-1532698726_thumb.jpg

and with the support of you all I know I can get this done and the layout will live!!

post-22762-0-89269700-1532698730_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your support everyone!! I really has meant everything! In fact if I wasn't for you then Oak Hill would have been no more a long time ago!!!

You lot are awesome!!! and I must get an index made for this topic!!

Gary

Here's to the next 2000 posts!!

• Like 3