The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Oak Hill post number 2000!!

A confessional.............

For some time now Oak Hill has not worked, trains have not run, except in very small sections that have been sorted as and when needed, and even these have not been permanent fixes. Electrical problems have been evident at every turn throughout the layouts life, and on more than one occasion it has nearly led to the scrapping of the layout!! :scared: Some of these events have been quite recent.

You've got all of my sympathy on this one, Gary! When I remember how easy it was for us as eleven-year-olds to connect up circles of battered train-set tracks with twisted fishplates and run locos with filthy wheels over them for hours without a hitch, it's a mystery why we can't do the same with all our high-tech equipment now. Sometimes I wonder whether clockwork should be brought back!

But hang on in there, because your stock and scenery both look amazing. Once you've whipped those pesky electrons into shape, it will be an amazing layout!

P.S. Many congratulations on reaching 2000 - here's to many more interesting posts!

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1

How long until James spots the lack of bogie brakes...

The moment I return from a week based in hospital!

IIRC the model of La France is in a livery applied in 1913.  Bogie brakes were removed a little later (1914-16?  I'd have to go back to Bradley to check). 

It is not wrong, I think, to have this livery variation without bogie brakes, it just moves the date back a bit.

• RMweb Premium

What's a "14XX"?!?

I think you both mean "4800"!

No idea what you're on about there. I was talking about George Armstrong's Wolverhampton-built four-coupled passenger tank engines of Lot D onwards, which I understand were referred to as the 517 Class in later years - I doubt Mr Armstrong knew them as such.

An essential engine for my MR/LNWR/GWR West Midlands c. 1903 mish-mash?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

No idea what you're on about there. I was talking about George Armstrong's Wolverhampton-built four-coupled passenger tank engines of Lot D onwards, which I understand were later referred to as the 517 Class in later years - I doubt Mr Armstrong knew them as such.

The 4800 Class was the original name for the 14xx. Not trying to make you sound dumb obviously Compound, so sorry if that's what it sounds like, but I'm not sure how else to respond.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

No idea what you're on about there. I was talking about George Armstrong's Wolverhampton-built four-coupled passenger tank engines of Lot D onwards, which I understand were referred to as the 517 Class in later years - I doubt Mr Armstrong knew them as such.

An essential engine for my MR/LNWR/GWR West Midlands c. 1903 mish-mash?

It was Red and Linny who used "14XX". 

As usage it's too modern for me to cope with; generally I get dizzy thinking about anything after 1914, but I can contemplate the Great Western up to about 1935 on the basis that it's a pre-Grouping company. 

Can I just say everyone, that coming back online to see the support I have received while working on Oak Hill has been great!! You lot have put a smile on my face once again!!

Gary

Good to see you back and doing.

• Like 1

For some time now Oak Hill has not worked, trains have not run, except in very small sections that have been sorted as and when needed, and even these have not been permanent fixes. Electrical problems have been evident at every turn throughout the layouts life, and on more than one occasion it has nearly led to the scrapping of the layout!! :scared: Some of these events have been quite recent.

Don't be put off by electrical glitches!  We all suffer from them.  Kirkallanmuir was plagued with dry joints at the crossings when we moved here.  I suspect that was down to a) my being a bit mean with the solder, in order not to interfere with the fitting of cosmetic chairs, and b)it being bounced around in my daughter's horse box trailer en route.  I just discovered last night that one is still giving problems resulting in the entire colliery branch headshunt being 'dead'.  Trying to get rails soldered to pcb sleepers after the track has been painted without gumming up the flangeways is not easy!

Stick with it.  The layout is too good to scrap.

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The 4800 Class was the original name for the 14xx. Not trying to make you sound dumb obviously Compound, so sorry if that's what it sounds like, but I'm not sure how else to respond.

I was playing dumb. Incidentally, some of the later Lots of the Armstrong four-coupled tank engines were numbered in the 14xx series, so I wonder if that's partly what motivated the renumbering of the replica engines from the 48xx series.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can contemplate the Great Western up to about 1935 on the basis that it's a pre-Grouping company. 

I've said it before but that won't deter me from saying it again: the big four Groups had only a thin veneer of modernity and the first tentative steps towards standardisation by the mid-30s - in most places except for the crack expresses the atmosphere was predominantly Midland, North Western, North Eastern, etc. The crash of 1928 contributed to this. If you want the LMS in its full Stanier glory, it's the 1950s you're wanting. I can't really understand wanting to model a Great Western branch line in the 30s - it's practically the same as in Edwardian days, but shabbier. If it's shabby you want, go 1950s again...

EDIT: I'll put that another way. The Golden Age of the railways in Great Britain and Ireland was undoubtedly the period between the Railways Act of 1889 and end of the Boer War: then the decline (in profitability, etc.) began... But there was a Silver Age: the early nationalisation period, when both passenger and freight traffic were at unprecedented levels - as were the operating losses.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bring you good news!!!!

Much soldering has happened, and for what may be a first, the entirety of Oak Hill is electrically sound!! Every bit of rail has been cleaned, almost every dropper has been re-soldered, but it now works!!!

There are still a few parts of the layout that need attention due to constant de-railing, and then the layout will need a clean, followed by making good all the damage that has been done or will be done while cleaning, but it works!!!!!!!!!!! :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced:

Gary

• Like 12

I've said it before but that won't deter me from saying it again: the big four Groups had only a thin veneer of modernity and the first tentative steps towards standardisation by the mid-30s - in most places except for the crack expresses the atmosphere was predominantly Midland, North Western, North Eastern, etc. The crash of 1928 contributed to this. If you want the LMS in its full Stanier glory, it's the 1950s you're wanting. I can't really understand wanting to model a Great Western branch line in the 30s - it's practically the same as in Edwardian days, but shabbier. If it's shabby you want, go 1950s again...

EDIT: I'll put that another way. The Golden Age of the railways in Great Britain and Ireland was undoubtedly the period between the Railways Act of 1889 and end of the Boer War: then the decline (in profitability, etc.) began... But there was a Silver Age: the early nationalisation period, when both passenger and freight traffic were at unprecedented levels - as were the operating losses.

The Golden Age for the Grouping Era was the Mid-Late Twenties in the case of the Great Western, with the fastest train and the most powerful locomotive. LMS and LNER did not peak until mid-late thirties.  Southern didn't peak at all, it just electrified.

But there is a certain late, last, glamour to the GW's Centenary year that still holds an attraction for me. All down hill after that!

I cannot see that same glamour in the dumbed-down Western Region, overwhelmed by summer traffic in that period between long-distance rail travel becoming truly universal and private motor car ownership becoming widespread.  Just a lot of dirty engines working too hard on too many late running trains.    

Anyway, what a nonsense generalisation concerning GW branch lines.  True, the much vaunted Ashburton branch was the haunt of superannuated 517s until '36, and was threatened with closure in the mid-'30s, but next door, as it were, you have the Kingsbridge branch; a brace of Prairies and a brace of B sets with a regular 70' through coach from London; two in the summer.

Most locomotives on the GW might have been unlined by this period, but at least they weren't black!

That and the endlessly insane variety of GW coaching stock and there is plenty of romance for those with a soul!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Most locomotives on the GW might have been unlined by this period, but at least they weren't black!

GWR green “fades” to black with exposure to sunlight and oily rags.

Anyway, what’s wrong with black - provided it be lined and glossy... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bring you good news!!!!

Much soldering has happened, and for what may be a first, the entirety of Oak Hill is electrically sound!! Every bit of rail has been cleaned, almost every dropper has been re-soldered, but it now works!!!

There are still a few parts of the layout that need attention due to constant de-railing, and then the layout will need a clean, followed by making good all the damage that has been done or will be done while cleaning, but it works!!!!!!!!!!! :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced:

Gary

Good work and well done there Gary.  I always thought Oak Hill was a nice layout and it's good that it's being brought back to life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

LNWR livery does particularly suit smaller tank engines - the lining isn't "lost" to the great expanse of black as on say, a Stanier tender. That said, the ease with which the lining can follow curves or bring together an irregular shape means that it's also very effective on a Standard Class 4 2-6-4T.

Midland red travels less well - it's really not suited to very large engines*, as the Princess Coronation pacifics bear witness. That said, I imagine IEG wouldn't work so well on them either - such a vast expanse of locomotive needs a subdued colour such as black or dark green.

*Now there's a red rag to the Derby-baiters!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2