Hornby Class 56 Lighting

JCClark

Hi everyone

Had another problem with lighting on one of my 56s again!

Anyway, decided to bite the bullet and see if the Express Models Dapol/Hornby 4 function lighting kit would fit in the latest model.

Removed all the PCB in the loco and fitted some Stripboard from Maplin and soldered track and motor wires to the Stripboard .

Fitted Express Models lighting kit (soldering wires to Stripboard as per instructions) and carefully drilled all the light apertures as per instructions.

All wres carefully taped alongside body internals and able to keep rear bulkhead in cabs but removed the drivers console.

All works brilliantly with not only brighter lights but all lights separately controlled.

Well worth the effort.

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, never thought of using Express Lighting Kit.

Although I've a few 56s which need cab interiors, which incorporate the lights, and needless to say Hornby don't sell them as spares (but do for the 31, 60, HST & 153).

So thinking about how to get around this issue!

Hi Rich

You are totally correct about the spare cab consoles being unavailable for the 56 as I trawled the web looking for them.

Also, with the difference in positive and negative wiring on the non sound/sound chassis things are made even more difficult.

I bought the Express models lighting kit out of frustration not knowing whether it would work or not! Delighted that it fitted OK and the high intensity light is really bright! The best part though is being able to work the lights independently with the DCC function controls.

Regards

John

Hornby Class 56 have several iterations of pcb boards, which affect the way the lighting works so giving the pcb the elbow seems like a good solution to me.

I fitted a Hornby Sapphire decoder to my DCC fitted R6245X and some of the Sapphire lighting SFX were not recognised.

Querying this with Hornby Customer Care gave the answer that there had been changes to the pcbs and not all models would support special effects.

I have Express Models lighting kits fitted to many of my models and apart from the odd one where the directional logic was reversed (probably a decoder fault rather than Exp-Models) I think they are really good (apart from the price, which is peanuts if you gather the bits and assemble them yourself, else around 15 quid ready to install from Exp-Models).

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've found Stickyswipe on eBay also now produces lighting kits for Hornby Super Detail Class 56.

I highly recommend these from Jason, especially if your after independent control of lights. The kit I got from him I requested warm white LEDs for the markers and cab lights which in my opinion looks a lot better than the original Hornby bright white.

Archived