What sort of an act have the Ladies of Washbourne schooled these orphans to perform?

I ask on behalf of The Impressario of The Grand Palace of Varieties, Paltry Circus, who feels that something mawkishly sentimental, involving a troupe of pail waifs, might just fit into the later part of the evening bill, between the unicycling jugglers, and the big rousing finale.

Kevin

..-- --..

If its anything like the 'Mayfair' Music Hall at the top of Smithdown Road, Liverpool 8 then 'something mawkishly sentimental, involving a troupe of pail (shurely shome mishtake) waifs' could only be staged as a tasteful 'tableau''.

The Management always insisted that such ladies would not be permitted to move while the curtains are open.

:O

dh

Highly enigmatic posts?

On leaving the Airport on Barra (which, incidentally, only operates when the tide is out) you are faced with two signs, one pointing to the left reading 'A888 Castlebay' and one pointing to the right reading 'A888 Castlebay', the A888 being the only road on the island!

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend producing a history of any fictional layout, as it gives you a direction and also limits your buying of unnecessary bits of kit (which you then try to justify with increasingly unlikely stories). For both Sarn (see thread) and Nantcwmdu (still bare baseboards) I have a "history" which helps me with the setting, the buildings, the rolling stock etc. In both cases I have bent history a bit (not much, honest) to provide a reason for a line being built which was not actually ever started. In one case (Sarn) it easily could have been, and in the other I have created an extra South Wales valley, in a specific place on the map, which gives me the connection to the real main line and defines the company which owns it. Castle Aching falls into the second category, I suspect.

I have not got as far as Chris in creating characters, though I am minded to.

Jonathan

• Like 2

And while I like the musical theme, you had better not put up the words of The Slow Train.

J

No need for such wistful melancholia, in the days of Good King Edward Dr Evil was not yet a glint in his father's eye. 

• Like 1

I have taken a break from architecture to paint up some figures.  It has been a while since my war-games painting efforts and I confess I looked upon painting up civilians to a reasonable standard with some trepidation.

As yet unpainted are my Staddens, who, with a handful of others, are intended to form the mainstay of Castle Aching's population.  I have never seen, or worked with, such excellent sculpts and, to be frank, they intimidate me somewhat.

So, enter the Aidan Campbell and Mike Pett figures I collected some time ago for the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway layout project, which was to be a model of Fenmarch station.  I feel that I am likely to attempt a model of this station at some point.  In the meantime, it struck me that I might attempt to 'get my hand in' by painting these up. It would be useful practice before attempting the Staddens.  Having painted them, I think that I may be able to use a handful on Castle Aching, but we will see.  I have posted each batch in the 4mm Edwardian Figures topic, but here are all the painted figures so far:

post-25673-0-29968600-1459089206_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-29968600-1459089206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Edwardian,

Those figures look superb, I would be happy if my 7mm ones turned half as good.

You might have already answered this one, but what paints do you use?

I had a play with artists acrylics but didn't like them and went back to enamels.

The problem being enamels take ages to dry. This is ok when there are large blocks of colour such as rolling stock, but really slow the process down when painting small items many colours such a figures.

You are too kind, Argos, but thank you nevertheless.  They look a bit ropey in the close ups, but these show them several times life size, and in the flesh, the paint-jobs look adequate from normal viewing distances.  What I must do is try to ensure strict quality control.  Despite the charm of many of the figures I have collected over the years, in terms of style, height, heft and quality of sculpting, only a handful of can go anywhere the Staddens. 

I just went out in the garden to try my luck in the afternoon light, in the (very) brief interlude between the rain ceasing and the wind getting up, I snapped off a few more shots.

To answer your question, water-based acrylics all the way.  I prime both metal and plastic figures with Halford's grey spray primer because it's very good value and does the job.   Everything else is done with water-based acrylics.  It is very controllable with water and it means that you don't have to wait very long before the next coat.  Thus, you have a chance to do 2-3 top highlighting or dry brush coats while you can still remember what colour you're using!

When painting war-games figures some years ago, I had started with Games Workshop acrylics, not the most value-for-money hobby company in the world, it must be said, but I got used to their colours, how they mixed and the effects I could achieve.  After a painting hiatus, I returned to a GW shop to buy some replacements only to discover that they had entirely changed their paint range.  Faced with having to learn a new range of paints, I decided that this did not need to be GW's, so I took the opportunity to start with Vallejo paints, of which I had heard a good deal.

At the moment, I am using a mix of the two, but all new and replacement colours will be Vallejo, something made easier by the somewhat surprising fact that they stock Vallejo paints in Boyes department store, Barnard Castle!

post-25673-0-48264700-1459094321_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-75842700-1459094342_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-48264700-1459094321_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75842700-1459094342_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I do like those figures, you have been very busy, and produced just the right sort of people to be hanging round for the daguerreotype operator to duck under his black duster and hold the pose for a while. Nearholmers picture, post 351, "sentimental, pail", I would add: "bricks, water". Total shock from animal lovers. No, not "orphan", - "Orphean" i.e. Trying to be like the Greek God who beguiled us with his music and poetry. The O.E.D. says "Orphic" is the adjective, but the then rector of Washbourne when approached for advice by some of his choir members, and being a stalwart supporter of Wycliffe, and King James of course, thought the former more English sounding than the Greek derivative. If I can explain to the ladies that changing at East Croydon and Shoreditch, maybe pausing at the hostelry outside Paltry Circus for refreshment, isn't too tiring, then they might come on the bill, but I'm afraid you won't be getting a chorus of "She stood on the bridge at midnight".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Edwardian,

I think acrylics are the way to go, I probably made a mistake in using artists acrylics, there were just to thin to get even coverage, I found they dried patchy. 

I'll give the Vellejo paints ago, they seem to have a good reputation, I certainly rate their filler, it's very fine and ideal for a final skim.

I agree about Halford's primer, it's great stuff, I've yet to find a material it would not coat (brass, nickel silver, resin, 3D printing plastic, styrene, card, filler, white metal.....) , and goes on thin enough not to drown out the detail.

I didn't realise you were in Barnard Castle, A bit of change from the fens!

I know the town well having been to boarding school there (we lived in the middle east at the time).

It was at the schools model railway club I got introduced to the joys of Peco Streamline track and building models out of card.

We started a model of Barnard castle and Romaldskirk on the Middleton Line.

I remember well measuring up the old crossing keepers cottage (built pre-NER) that is still standing out on the road to the golf course.

From memory it was the only bit of the railway that had survived.

• Like 1

......whilst searching for orphans, I instead came across what I believe to be a picture of the Washbourne Orpheans.

There you go squire - a very 'tasteful tableau' indeed.

We'd certainly book them in to the Mayfair Music Hall, top end of Smithdown Road, Liverpool 8 ( just above the old Crown Street terminus of the L&M)

They'd fit nicely in between M'seur Money with his quick comic charcoal sketches routine and Madame Ridefski's singing borzoi dog choir.

dh

PS

I'd certainly go the Halfords primer + acrylics route to such painting - so much quicker and thus more responsive to one's muse than enamel.

I went right through a Fine Art course over the last decade using nothing but acrylics - mostly  from 'The Works'. I used their acrylics with a thickener (I'm sorry I cannot lay my hands on it at present) which delivered every mood - down to painting using a knife.

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Gold

You might be right about the turntable,

It's been 30 odd years since I last looked at the trackplan for the station.

I do recall the pub as being the Red Lion though........

My mistake, It's the Red Well.

Edited by Argos

• RMweb Gold

You are too kind, Argos, but thank you nevertheless.  They look a bit ropey in the close ups, but these show them several times life size, and in the flesh, the paint-jobs look adequate from normal viewing distances.  What I must do is try to ensure strict quality control.  Despite the charm of many of the figures I have collected over the years, in terms of style, height, heft and quality of sculpting, only a handful of can go anywhere the Staddens. 

I just went out in the garden to try my luck in the afternoon light, in the (very) brief interlude between the rain ceasing and the wind getting up, I snapped off a few more shots.

To answer your question, water-based acrylics all the way.  I prime both metal and plastic figures with Halford's grey spray primer because it's very good value and does the job.   Everything else is done with water-based acrylics.  It is very controllable with water and it means that you don't have to wait very long before the next coat.  Thus, you have a chance to do 2-3 top highlighting or dry brush coats while you can still remember what colour you're using!

When painting war-games figures some years ago, I had started with Games Workshop acrylics, not the most value-for-money hobby company in the world, it must be said, but I got used to their colours, how they mixed and the effects I could achieve.  After a painting hiatus, I returned to a GW shop to buy some replacements only to discover that they had entirely changed their paint range.  Faced with having to learn a new range of paints, I decided that this did not need to be GW's, so I took the opportunity to start with Vallejo paints, of which I had heard a good deal.

At the moment, I am using a mix of the two, but all new and replacement colours will be Vallejo, something made easier by the somewhat surprising fact that they stock Vallejo paints in Boyes department store, Barnard Castle!

Excellent work with the painting. I particularly like the subtle highlights.

For many years I used standard artists acrylics for the figures on Granby but on the recommendation of an artist internet friend in Australia I switched to Chroma's Josonja ......matte flow acrylic. They are extremely effective. Real depth of colour, quick drying, dont flake or chip and being matt they create a much more realistic finish. I have far too many porters with shiny trousers using the old paints! If the are available in the UK they are worth a try (usual disclaimer)

Best wishes from Vancouver

John   

I didn't realise you were in Barnard Castle, A bit of change from the fens!

I know the town well having been to boarding school there (we lived in the middle east at the time).

It was at the schools model railway club I got introduced to the joys of Peco Streamline track and building models out of card.

We started a model of Barnard castle and Romaldskirk on the Middleton Line.

I remember well measuring up the old crossing keepers cottage (built pre-NER) that is still standing out on the road to the golf course.

From memory it was the only bit of the railway that had survived.

Indeed, the most excellent of changes.  I am delighted to discover that you an Old Barnardian.  My son attends there, my daughter at the Prep.  He found the Model railway club oversubscribed and was unable to join.

I know the building you mean, it has one of those little black and white Stockton and Darlington Railway shields.

I wonder what happened to your old layout?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Halford's primer doesn't, I am afraid, stick brilliantly to etched zinc carriage sides, I discovered the other week. I think I may have to remove it and try acid etch primer, which was recommended but I do not have or know where to get locally. Probably not a problem for most readers of this thread unless they have some such Trevor Charlton sides stashed away from a few decades ago.

And an oversubscribed model railway club! Send a few of them over here please.

Jonathan

• Like 2