• RMweb Gold

Edwardian,

The figures do look good.  The good thing about Stadden figures is that they are so good they are quite easy to paint. Yu are not having to fight with oversized eyes, faces mouths etc., etc., to get a good looking modle at the end

Argos,

I still use enamels.  Two reasons, I am used to them and know how they will work although almost every colour from Humbrol behaves slightly differently, and I have at least half their range.  I have some Vallejo acrylics as well, and I think, I did not write it down, that I painted the uniforms of my station staff with the dark grey.  It is probably because I do not know how to use them but I find that acrylics dry too quickly on a small brush.

Hi,

Just found this wonderful thread and i would like to say .. I am so Very glad I have. You have a fantastic talent in creating some of thee most delightful & nostalgic buildings.

May i please ask.. Do i detect a colonel Stephens flavour to this railway project?. I myself am a huge fan of light railways and just couldn't help myself in asking the question. No matter whether it is or is not, i certainly look forward to seeing more of your modelling adventure unfold.

Kindest Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Edwardian,

The figures do look good.  The good thing about Stadden figures is that they are so good they are quite easy to paint. Yu are not having to fight with oversized eyes, faces mouths etc., etc., to get a good looking modle at the end

Argos,

I still use enamels.  Two reasons, I am used to them and know how they will work although almost every colour from Humbrol behaves slightly differently, and I have at least half their range.  I have some Vallejo acrylics as well, and I think, I did not write it down, that I painted the uniforms of my station staff with the dark grey.  It is probably because I do not know how to use them but I find that acrylics dry too quickly on a small brush.

I think you can buy a product called and extender which added to the paint will extend the drying time. 

Small world!

might we see some more northern influence in your modelling?

Durham coal and wild moorlands? 

There is enough modelling inspiration up here for many lifetimes, so, I hope, 'yes'.  I'd love to model Barnard Castle, for a start, probably early-mid Edwardian, with even the goods classes in green.  

However, whereas Brad Pitt got 7 years in Tibet, I got 7 years in the Fen, and I suppose that Castle Aching and Fenmarch are the two 'legacy' project ideas from my time in the east of England.

Found a stray bit of childhood Code 100 track in a box recently unpacked!

I have finished, for now, tinkering with the rolling stock.  The transfers I had did not work well for the coach, I suppose that I will replace them if something more suitable comes along.  Otherwise, I think I'll leave it; it is an odd, odds and ends, vehicle and I could tinker forever and yet not make it any more of silk purse. The verandah railings are from 4mm scale plastic Great Western spear-tip railings.  Steps use staples as brackets.  Oil lamps and buffers are MJT.

(No brakes!)

post-25673-0-04568900-1459162996_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-76117400-1459163020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

Hi,

Just found this wonderful thread and i would like to say .. I am so Very glad I have. You have a fantastic talent in creating some of thee most delightful & nostalgic buildings.

May i please ask.. Do i detect a colonel Stephens flavour to this railway project?. I myself am a huge fan of light railways and just couldn't help myself in asking the question. No matter whether it is or is not, i certainly look forward to seeing more of your modelling adventure unfold.

Kindest Regards

Dan

Dan,

Apologies; I had intended to answer your kind post, and then it slipped my mind.  Thank you for your comments, and I am particularly interested to note that you are in the Isle of Wight, for reasons that will become apparent.

The answer to your question is both 'yes' and 'no'.  Neither of the railways I have planned are technically light railways, in that both pre-date the 1896 Light Railway Act.  They are small independents, and, though modest, tend to be built a little less lightly than your average Colonel Stephens railway and they tend to be a little more prosperous!  That said, there is a lot of 'light railway' in them, I think, and I can presently think of no more appropriate label.

The Isle of Eldernell is, like the Isle of Wight, an island, albeit in the fens, rather than the sea.  It is almost a fenland version of the Isle of Wight system.  Little 1860s 2-4-0Ts with rakes of short 4-wheel Oldbury coaches.  Also similar to Isle of Wight is the use by the Isle of Eldernell and the West Norfolk Railways of turntables as a run round facility, as well as for access to the shed.  The similarities between the two are, perhaps, accounted for by the influence of a retired military personage, who has an interest in both lines.  

BTW, I love the device of using a turntable at the end of the run round loop.  It is a lovely Victorian feature, found not just on the Isle of Wight, but in places as far afield as Rothbury in Northumbria and North Woolwich.

Best,

James

• Like 2

Indeed, as would be a traverser!

I am really impressed with Alston.  I feel strongly that I want to make a model of it.

The WNR may have one or two tender engines of its own, and certainly could have visiting tender engines.  The IOE&MR was a tank engine only line.  Nevertheless, it had proper turntables.  The Victorian sense of propriety of its Directors forbad running bunker first as the height of vulgarity.  Not until some point in the 1920s did the practice of turning tank engines lapse on the line.

• Like 2

There is enough modelling inspiration up here for many lifetimes, so, I hope, 'yes'.  I'd love to model Barnard Castle, for a start, probably early-mid Edwardian, with even the goods classes in green.  

However, whereas Brad Pitt got 7 years in Tibet, I got 7 years in the Fen, and I suppose that Castle Aching and Fenmarch are the two 'legacy' project ideas from my time in the east of England.

Found a stray bit of childhood Code 100 track in a box recently unpacked!

I have finished, for now, tinkering with the rolling stock.  The transfers I had did not work well for the coach, I suppose that I will replace them if something more suitable comes along.  Otherwise, I think I'll leave it; it is an odd, odds and ends, vehicle and I could tinker forever and yet not make it any more of silk purse. The verandah railings are from 4mm scale plastic Great Western spear-tip railings.  Steps use staples as brackets.  Oil lamps and buffers are MJT.

(No brakes!)

I see the West Norfolk is really at the cutting edge of technology fitting its wagons with four brake shoes each. Such extravagance when all other railways were only using two (4 shoes became compulsory for new build after 1912 but older wagons were allowed time to catch up; many never did) – perhaps they are economising by not providing brake levers?  :-)

• RMweb Gold

I do like your carriage, it has real character.  Probably ought to have brakes though as through braking was compulsory by the 1890s, probably earlier.  (Sorry cannot remember exactly.)  The veranda and steps are excellent.

Just had a thought.  If you are worried about painting Stadden figures could you get a pack of the sitting down ones and then put a few inside.  No pressure then to get them looking amazing.

Hi James,

My apologies for my delay in reply too, have been busy in very demanding job.

Many thanks for your reply.. My living on the Isle of Wight .. well I have lived here most of my life, I had moved off for around 6 years and lived and explored the delightful sunny and wet Devon & Cornwall. But there is just something magical that grips you about the island. So much so I returned again, It's just a beautiful island and having a fab historically rich steam railway here on my very doorstep .. well that's just the cherry on the cake.

Your railway project is just Fab, now having been awoken to the Isle of Eldernell and the West Norfolk Railways .. I shall certainly look into that great railway, especially being so similar to the island, thank you.

May I ask what make are your coaches or did you scratchbuild them?.

I only ask as my next layout project is going to be my own little interpretation of a scenic BLT based on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway .. ever since I saw Toby the tram as a small boy .. I was totally hooked and in ore of that tram engine and someday .. I am going to get one of them I told my father and grandfather.

Well some years on and Not such a small boy anymore .. just last week I have completed building (scratch built tops on Bachmann chassis) my 5th tram .. so what better reason do I need to build a place to run my little creations. And having seen your coaches there are almost identical to those that were running on the Wisbech.. hence my keen interest.

Bembridge's turnplate at the end of the station loop was indeed clever and creative idea, I was under thee impression that it was thee only one of its kind, so pleased to find out it wasn't.

Many Thanks & Kindest Regards

Dan  :imsohappy:

• Like 2

Ah, the Wisbech & Upwell.  I lived quite close to the route until recently and have often wanted to model it.  The days when it still had a passenger service, preferably pre-WW1 with the tram engines chocolate brown and Prussian blue.

I believe that post-amalgamation with the Isle of Eldernell Steam Traction Company, the Mereport Canal and Harbour Board had the loan of at least one of the GER tram locomotives!

I certainly plan to run them on Castle Aching.

As for coaches, I have 2 of the D&S etch brass kits.  They came as a pair.  Mine came as largely built, though a mistake in the build is mounting the buffer beams too low.  I shall have to contrive a fix as these kits are rare and beyond my present meagre budget.

The Bachmann Henrietta will probably super-detail as a fair representation.

Track back through the pages of this topic and you will find some learned contributions on these and other UK verandah coaches.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Hi James,

yeh there is a certain romance to the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway and especially lovely how the canal played a good part as well. But the main reason i chose to model it was one day i was researching the different liveries of the Y4 & Y6 trams and a fab picture of the different trams on Wisbech came to light.

So after 2 oakwood press and 1 middleton press books and lots and lots of research .. got me started on building my small fleet of trams. I did buy a Bachmann Henrietta, but to my discovery .. they are Ho scale. So my next thoughts turned to heavily modifying Ratio 4 wheel coaches, but after seeing your coaches.. they were just ideal. I must confess that my kit brass works have all been terrible, so on the air of caution i have tried to avoid all brass kits since.. saved alot of monies too.

The GER tram with its blue livery on the side plates, was by far thee most attractive of the trams of its time.. but isn't it a shame that there are only 2 steam trams left in existence in the uk today, both being of the same Y6 LNER type .

Thanks for the advice on the coaches.. will do.

Many thanks & Kindest regards

Dan

• Like 2

Broadsword calling Danny Boy ......

Things aren't so dire on the steam tram front as you believe.

I can think of a few more in the UK:

- Two Kitsons from Portstewart, one at Cultra museum, one in a museum in Hull (why, I've never been sure!);

- an ex-NZ Beyer Peacock that is sometimes at Crich, but I think actually belongs to Manchester Science Museum;

- a Belgian Cockerill that wanders about a bit. I rode behind it at Northampton.

And, the Glyn Valley Tramway preservation group are having a replica built IIRC. And, and, you might count "Jane" from Wantage, although she is more an engine that ran on a tramway than a tramway engine.

Kevin

PS: the loco at Hull is posed with the Grapes car from Ryde Pier, so has an IoW connection.

Edited by Nearholmer

Dan,

I would not despair of the Bachmann Henrietta.  OK, it probably won't be scale perfect, but the fact that it is nominally HO is unlikely to be a problem.  The W&U coaches were tiny.  See Post 191 on page 9 of this topic.  Ignore the fact that the buffer beams are set too low, a mistake on the part of my predecessor in title. The size comparison remains.

My son has one of the Bachmann Henriettas from his 'Thomas' days, though I have no idea where it is now and, so, cannot draw a direct comparison.  In the photo below, the right-hand coach is HO.  My cream and green coach is also HO (see page 9 again), it has the sides raised, but also the roof profile lowered, and only slightly larger wheels, so it is approximately its original height.

Unless and until you can find the D&S kits, or plans and scratch-build, I reckon that with some work refining the Bachmann 'toy' and you've got a creditable stand-in.  In the future, funds permitting, I would certainly consider Bachmann Henriettas as the basis for freelance light railway verandah coaches. 

Incidentally, I remember getting the Bachmann Toby for my son.  The Hornby Toby was huge.  Again, I have not placed the Bachmann Toby next to my whitemetal C53 (J70), but I suspect the two would be of much the same size.  Moreover, unlike the somewhat ragged toy mechanisms in the Hornby Thomas range, the Bachmann locomotives run ever so sweetly.  Even if you don't use the body, the Bachmann Toby has to be a great way to get a powered chassis for a G15 (Y4), or a C53 (if you don't mind a hidden 4-wheel unit.

D&S, I think, also did a set of etches for the G15/Y4, one of which I am fortunate to have stashed somewhere, but, really, there have been several kits, plus the Bachmann Toby and, aside, perhaps, for the cow-catchers, it would probably be one of the simplest scratch-builds possible, especially as you can stick almost anything underneath to power it. Revd. Awdry published an article, with 4mm drawings, of his Toby-build.  He, of course, knew them well.

J

post-25673-0-32849700-1459328829_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

- Two Kitsons from Portstewart, one at Cultra museum, one in a museum in Hull (why, I've never been sure!);

PS: the loco at Hull is posed with the Grapes car from Ryde Pier, so has an IoW connection.

Just about my favourite film there, Kevin!

Dan, here is the Northern Irish Kitson tram locomotive and the Ryde coach that Kevin refers to.  Neither of which would appear to have any business in Hull, separately or together!

post-25673-0-38832900-1459336565.jpg

post-25673-0-55026800-1459336582_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I suspect my C53 is the K's kit, also on a 4-wheel chassis!  At 1903, it is too modern for my Isle of Eldernell project (1897), in any case, it was G15s that the GER lent to run on the Mereport quays.

I had not known of the difference in traffic handled by the two classes.  It makes perfect sense, though.

Kevin's Kitson piqued my curiosity, and I repaired to http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/histk.asp where I learnt that the two Portstewart trams were in fact 3' gauge, but that Kitsons had managed to produce as many as 300 steam trams.  No doubt many were standard gauge, and customers included the Leeds (inevitably) and Birmingham systems.  

post-25673-0-32031800-1459358462.jpg

• Like 3

When you're not modelling tram locos you could always slip in a Sentinel?

Hi Northroader, This is very true .. and considering the Model rail magazine have a fab range of little sentinels to which they have commissioned at very reasonable price .. very worthy choice. Thank you for the idea   :imsohappy:

- an ex-NZ Beyer Peacock that is sometimes at Crich, but I think actually belongs to Manchester Science Museum;

- a Belgian Cockerill that wanders about a bit. I rode behind it at Northampton.

And, the Glyn Valley Tramway preservation group are having a replica built IIRC. And, and, you might count "Jane" from Wantage, although she is more an engine that ran on a tramway than a tramway engine.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, That is fab news and I am So pleased to hear that more steam trams have survived .. Thank you :imsohappy:

Dan,

I would not despair of the Bachmann Henrietta.  OK, it probably won't be scale perfect, but the fact that it is nominally HO is unlikely to be a problem.  The W&U coaches were tiny.  See Post 191 on page 9 of this topic.  Ignore the fact that the buffer beams are set too low, a mistake on the part of my predecessor in title. The size comparison remains.

My son has one of the Bachmann Henriettas from his 'Thomas' days, though I have no idea where it is now and, so, cannot draw a direct comparison.  In the photo below, the right-hand coach is HO.  My cream and green coach is also HO (see page 9 again), it has the sides raised, but also the roof profile lowered, and only slightly larger wheels, so it is approximately its original height.

Unless and until you can find the D&S kits, or plans and scratch-build, I reckon that with some work refining the Bachmann 'toy' and you've got a creditable stand-in.  In the future, funds permitting, I would certainly consider Bachmann Henriettas as the basis for freelance light railway verandah coaches. 

Incidentally, I remember getting the Bachmann Toby for my son.  The Hornby Toby was huge.  Again, I have not placed the Bachmann Toby next to my whitemetal C53 (J70), but I suspect the two would be of much the same size.  Moreover, unlike the somewhat ragged toy mechanisms in the Hornby Thomas range, the Bachmann locomotives run ever so sweetly.  Even if you don't use the body, the Bachmann Toby has to be a great way to get a powered chassis for a G15 (Y4), or a C53 (if you don't mind a hidden 4-wheel unit.

D&S, I think, also did a set of etches for the G15/Y4, one of which I am fortunate to have stashed somewhere, but, really, there have been several kits, plus the Bachmann Toby and, aside, perhaps, for the cow-catchers, it would probably be one of the simplest scratch-builds possible, especially as you can stick almost anything underneath to power it. Revd. Awdry published an article, with 4mm drawings, of his Toby-build.  He, of course, knew them well.

J

Hi James,

please forgive my intrusion.. never thought one of my little ideas/passions would cause such a warming interest. Thank you So much for your advice .. in one of my Oakwood press books it actually gives drawings and measurements of mostly all Wisbech & Upwell locomotives, coaches and small coverage of freight wagons.. a very handy thing to have in the treasured and ever growing train book library.

I too own a Bachmann Toby .. could not resist especially as I already purchased Henrietta. I had used the Bachmann Toby as my guide to scratch building my small fleet of steam trams, as I too thought that the Hornby Toby was oversized. I have kind of gone the more expensive route for my chassis under my trams.. I have used Bachmann class 04 chassis and I have fitted them with lenz dcc decoders in to them .. they run fantastically slowly and reliably. The beauty of using these chassis is that they already have moulded side frames and have the sloping cowcatchers on the front and slight one on rear .. for a basic skilled modeller (myself) it suited the purpose perfectly.. and got to spend more valuable time on making the challenging and tricky wooden bodies to fit the chassis.  

More recently I have been making my own 3 link couplings and hopefully hope to fit them to the trams.

Regards

Dan

• Like 6

I'm a big fan of Irish 3ft gauge steam tramways, and am supposed to be creating one in the garden.

But, as you can see, I have an infestation of ballast mites. Here is one, captured in action, not five minutes ago!

K

I had a similar infestation indoors, only mine did this:

post-25673-0-83036600-1459373204_thumb.jpg