• RMweb Premium

Flag Fen, 2010.

(1) A somewhat intimate feel to the re-enactment arena

(2) Were my children ever that small?

1. That looks very like the same set of kit the West Stow Jutes had...

2. Disturbing, isn't it?

• RMweb Gold

I have a packet that was opened over 4 years ago. In preparation for a house move shortly after that it was resealed and placed in an empty 1ltr ice cream tub. It is still perfectly OK and in regular, if somewhat sporadic, use.

Jim

That is what I am hoping Jim. The unopened pack was over ten years old  so I could advise that with confidence.

Chris I think you are hoping for too much if it is not sticky how will it adhere to the figures? If it is too soft it will not hold a shape whilst being worked on. If there is no mixing it would probably have to be air drying and if it is air drying there is a risk of it setting if poorly stored.

Don

Seeing those chain mail tunics reminds me of a former colleague who is a member of the Ermine Street Guard, a Roman reenactment group. He used to commute from Leicester, and was famed for sitting at a table in first class, bending loops of thick iron wire and interlacing them to make mail ...... a bit like those (largely disappeared) ladies who used to knit all the time on trains, but more macho!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:  

Many years ago Mrs S & I were visiting an English Heritage site - Old Wardour Castle.  At the time there was a re-enactment group providing additional atmosphere.  I got roped into doing an impromptu troop inspection.

Walking along the line of troops, all dressed in their very authentic-looking uniforms, I was wondering how to make my inspection more 'involved'.  I then spotted one trooper with a shoelace undone.  I casually mentioned this to the accompanying Captain and moved on.  A second later I jumped a mile as he let forth a tirade at the trooper for being poorly dressed on parade. He really did have a go at him and I felt rather guilty about pointing out his lace.  I'm still not sure to this day how much was acting and how much was real anger...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

:offtopic:  

Many years ago Mrs S & I were visiting an English Heritage site - Old Wardour Castle.  At the time there was a re-enactment group providing additional atmosphere.  I got roped into ding an impromptu troop inspection.

Walking along the line of troops, all dressed in their very authentic-looking uniforms, I was wondering how to make my inspection more 'involved'.  I then spotted one trooper with a shoelace undone.  I casually mentioned this to the accompanying Captain and moved on.  A second later I jumped a mile as he let forth a tirade at the trooper for being poorly dressed on parade. He really did have a go at him and I felt rather guilty about pointing out his lace.  I'm still not sure to this day how much was acting and how much was real anger...

Some people take their hobbies very seriously!

How can you be off topic; this is Castle Aching!

• Like 3

Sometimes they do let their emotions run high.

I remember one 15th Century re-enactment at Middleham when one of the "soldiers" got a real bawling-out (sort of national service circa 1956 but in 15th Century dress) while "Anne Neville" (Richard of Gloucester's wife) was reduced to real tears by her "husband's" comments.

I couldn't help but think it was a bit OTT and borderline overacting.  :no:

• Like 2

Sometimes they do let their emotions run high.

I remember one 15th Century re-enactment at Middleham when one of the "soldiers" got a real bawling-out (sort of national service circa 1956 but in 15th Century dress) while "Anne Neville" (Richard of Gloucester's wife) was reduced to real tears by her "husband's" comments.

I couldn't help but think it was a bit OTT and borderline overacting.  :no:

She probably just got the hump

The only time in my life when " the red mist" descended on me was during a reenactment. Somehow I got knocked (knocked fairly lightly, not hit) with a pike staff, and for some reason I momentarily "lost it", and set about the opposition in earnest. It was a good job that I was only armed with a "mop", which is a stout pole about eight feet long that is used to clean a cannon barrel out with; if I'd had something sharp, I'd possibly still be looking out through a small window with bars across it. To this day I still don't know why I went into a fury!

So, edging forward from the Dark Ages, to post-Conquest Britain, the settlement at Castle Aching owes its existence to the Norman stronghold established there. 

I quote from the Victoria County History, A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume II, ed. William Page (London, 1906) (abridged):

Originally a wooden keep atop the motte, construction soon after the Norman Conquest, the castle was substantially rebuilt in stone in the 1130s-1140s.

The Anglo-Norman family of Fitz Aching held the fief.  Fitz Aching is patronymic, as the prefix 'Fitz' derives from the Latin filius, meaning "son of".  It is believed that 'Aching' is a corruption of Acaris, who was the son of Bardolf, a son of Odo, Count of Penthièvre.

The castle is now ruinous and uninhabited, and the later history of the Fitz Achings is obscure.  In modern times, the local landowning family has been the Erstwhiles of Aching Hall.

Such was the situation at the time the layout is set.  As for these 'modern times' I can offer readers a more up to date view: 

post-25673-0-07689700-1496847313_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The only time in my life when " the red mist" descended on me was during a reenactment. Somehow I got knocked (knocked fairly lightly, not hit) with a pike staff, and for some reason I momentarily "lost it", and set about the opposition in earnest. It was a good job that I was only armed with a "mop", which is a stout pole about eight feet long that is used to clean a cannon barrel out with; if I'd had something sharp, I'd possibly still be looking out through a small window with bars across it. To this day I still don't know why I went into a fury!

Careful now, you might very well have sealed his knot!

As before, several posts submitted before this one should appear at various points further up the page or on the previous page. 

• RMweb Premium

It was worth coming here today, just to learn that.

And, having computed where Feltwell is, I'm feeling a tour coming on ...... Bury st Edmunds, to revisit the rather mad houses built into the old abbey walls; feltwell; and, Ely Cathedral, which never ceases to amaze me. Will the offsprings (and my good lady) stand for that much "old stuff" in one day, without lynching me, that is the question.

PS: consider also the village pump. Not the village pimp, as the ever perspicacious Kippers would have you believe.

And you are scarily close to my gaff while you are visiting these places...

Fancy a look at a slab of concrete where a signal is going?

Andy G

• Like 2

Oh, quick question while I remember - I have left room in the undergrowth in the angle between the houses (see post 3813)with the thought that I might raise chickens there.  I have an idea what chicken sheds should look like, but I wonder what a chicken run might be fenced with in 1905?

I'm guessing fairly conventional wooden fencing (probably patched with allsorts), rather than wire mesh. 

As there is a danger that I might get onto it this weekend, I wondered if anyone could help with suggestions for appropriate Edwardian chicken fencing?

post-25673-0-64723300-1496943941_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

James,

When you paint what do you do about holding figures?  The advice I have been given is to attach something so you hold that and your greasy fingers do not go all over them.  I have attached card to the feet but not wanting it to stick to hard have used latex glue and basically it is not very good.  What do you do?  I wondered about latex/vynil gloves.

• Like 2

James,

When you paint what do you do about holding figures?  The advice I have been given is to attach something so you hold that and your greasy fingers do not go all over them.  I have attached card to the feet but not wanting it to stick to hard have used latex glue and basically it is not very good.  What do you do?  I wondered about latex/vynil gloves.

Hi Chris,

Wargamers stick theirs to bottle tops or old Humbrol enamel tins, I notice.  But they have bases, which facilitates this, and which railway figures tend not to.   

I'm afraid I just use my greasy figures!  I use acrylics, and am usually painting more than one figure, so that by the time I need to handle the painted part of a figure, it's usually touch dry. 

That said, I have recently taken to sticking them to card with UHU in order to spray undercoat, and I have left a few attached for painting; it has made it easier.

With the chickens, could they be scratching around in a small orchard? Sorry, more work, but less hassle in making a convincing "run"

Good idea, like that.  It might be that I have not left enough room for an orchard in this location, but, if not there, it is a great idea and I shall plan for its inclusion.

BTW the image in post 3884 represents my first attempt at Photoshop - lost a storey, reversed to mirror image and removed several people and extensive railings (don't tell Health & Safety!)

"...... suggestions for appropriate Edwardian chicken fencing?"

Well, if you can find a book called 'Harmsworth's Self Educator', it contains all that you need to know ........ unfortunately, I gave all 20 paving slab sized volumes away about ten years ago, and for the past 9 years and 364 days have regretted the fact.

Chicken breeding was seriously popular pre-WW1, as a low entry cost business with good earnings by potential, so there are quite a few "how to" books from that period that cover it in a lot of detail.

As to breed, I suggest Buff Orpington. They were still quite a new breed, and were very popular because they laid more eggs than anything else around, and were nice and big for roasting.

Kevin

PS: the Bolton Model Poultry Farm in Lancashire had an 18" gauge steam railway!

PPS: seems that wire mesh fencing was invented in Norwich http://www.heritagecity.org/research-centre/industrial-innovation/barnards.htm so if your folk can afford it, not a problem. Otherwise, I would suggest low wattle fencing, made with sticks about a finger-thickness. Rolls of chicken wire often appear as goods in pictures of the KESR, so you can use it as both scenery and cargo!

post-26817-0-97880200-1496961529_thumb.png

post-26817-0-60263400-1496961882_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I presume we are talking about materials to represent the chicken wire my thoughts are some kind of gauze, net curtain possibly starched, etched wire mesh, ladies nylons, plasters cotton scrim ( the modern plastic would be too coarse I feel).

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Wargamers stick theirs to bottle tops or old Humbrol enamel tins, I notice.  But they have bases, which facilitates this, and which railway figures tend not to.   

I'm afraid I just use my greasy figures!  I use acrylics, and am usually painting more than one figure, so that by the time I need to handle the painted part of a figure, it's usually touch dry. 

That said, I have recently taken to sticking them to card with UHU in order to spray undercoat, and I have left a few attached for painting; it has made it easier.

Good idea, like that.  It might be that I have not left enough room for an orchard in this location, but, if not there, it is a great idea and I shall plan for its inclusion.

BTW the image in post 3884 represents my first attempt at Photoshop - lost a storey, reversed to mirror image and removed several people and extensive railings (don't tell Health & Safety!)

James,

Thank you.  How do you find getting the card off when you have finished painting?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another option is to insert a (headless, dress making) pin inside one of the legs. It takes a fine drill bit to achieve this and a steady hand, but once the pin is inserted it can be used for holding the model whilst painting, standing the model whilst the paint dries and eventually to position the model on the layout. The pin hole in the platform, street, etc., is fairly small, so the people can be moved around for variety.

• Like 1

Well, if you can find a book called 'Harmsworth's Self Educator', it contains all that you need to know ........ unfortunately, I gave all 20 paving slab sized volumes away about ten years ago, and for the past 9 years and 364 days have regretted the fact.

My grandmother had a set, which I assume were originally owned by her father (who btw knew Frank Hornby) and I have them still.  Everything you needed to know in 1906 England!

I have the feeling that though they are huge bound volumes, they were originally published as partworks as you never get a complete treatment of any particular subject, but the breadth of subject covered is tremendous, including languages, various branches of shopkeeping, the different opportunities in the civil service, even building and operating railways...  ANd thats what I can remember without popping downstairs to refer to a random volume.

What I do regret is my parents chucking a complete, early, set of Arthur Mees Childrens Encyclopedia.  One of the illustrations I recall is that of "Electricity in the Home", which included a maid ironing in the kitchen and children playing with an electric train set, both powered off ceiling light sockets.  I don't think the train had a step-down transformer either...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All the Harmsworth Encyclopaedia were published as part works. At the end of the 'cycle' (for they were published many times, being updated each time) you could get your loose leaves bound.

I grew up with my grandfathers 1921 (red cover) bound set at home, and I have an earlier set (blue bound) at my place.

Harmsworth was the publisher of the Mirror wasn't he?

Andy G

• Like 4

Brilliant stuff, possibly even unintentionally. Mains. Outage toy trains had a controller that used a lamp as a potential divider, then a rheostat, which was OK until the system was left open circuit, at which point full mains voltage appeared at the trasck!

The Harmsworth has a thread on poultry keeping, and a superbcolour plate showing different breeds. If you use the index/content-list, you can follow a given topic from edition to edition, but it is a bit of a fag.

• Like 2