...ooh! Please can I play the poster game too:

attachicon.gifSaltburn.jpg

book through LNER holiday returns from Castle Aching? 

certainly this Teeside seaside is cheaper to reach from Barnard Castle

:jester:

dh

What is "LNER"? asks a bemused passenger of the Castle Aching station master, sometime in the early 1900s!

Great posters.  I have particular admiration for the GW's sheer nerve in producing the "Great Similarity between ..." poster.

What might a West Norfolk Railway poster proclaiming "There is a Great Similarity between Norfolk and ...." poster be like?

• Like 1

There is a Great Similarity between Norfolk and Mecklenberg-Vorpommern.

(if you don't believe me, go and check for yourselves)

Or, ........

There is a Great Similarity between Norfolk and Provence.

(It's true!! Both are noted lavender-growing areas.)

• Like 3

Appeals Day!

I think I would like to set Castle Aching in the spring/early summer, say May, and to catch some blossom, and I have been asked by the Directors to put the following appeal to the readers of this topic:

Dear Sirs

By the time you read this, I shall be up-country with a hunting expedition in deepest Botsobeleland killing (increasingly) rare animals in large numbers, so will be quite unable to attend to the affairs of the West Norfolk Railway.

As we approach the kinder seasons of the year, I wonder whether, in the event that any kind readers were to find themselves in the environs of Norfolk armed with a portable means of photographic reproduction, they would kindly consider passing on any plates capturing:

(a) Seasonal flora, particularly blossom, together with field margins, hedgerows, roadsides, verges, cottage gardens, copses etc.

( b ) Views of the countryside, such as may provide a suitable visual reference for the creation of a 'backscene' to be placed behind the burgeoning community of Castle Aching.

I am greatly obliged to you for your assistance in this matter,

Colonel Knap-Flint-Outhouse, Rtd

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What is "LNER"? asks a bemused passenger of the Castle Aching station master, sometime in the early 1900s!

Great posters.  I have particular admiration for the GW's sheer nerve in producing the "Great Similarity between ..." poster.

What might a West Norfolk Railway poster proclaiming "There is a Great Similarity between Norfolk and ...." poster be like?

If you run your 'puter's mouse pointer across the ones I posted the date will appear.  They are all about right for castle Aching's timeframe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Appeals Day!

I think I would like to set Castle Aching in the spring/early summer, say May, and to catch some blossom, and I have been asked by the Directors to put the following appeal to the readers of this topic:

Dear Sirs

By the time you read this, I shall be up-country with a hunting expedition in deepest Botsobeleland killing (increasingly) rare animals in large numbers, so will be quite unable to attend to the affairs of the West Norfolk Railway.

As we approach the kinder seasons of the year, I wonder whether, in the event that any kind readers were to find themselves in the environs of Norfolk armed with a portable means of photographic reproduction, they would kindly consider passing on any plates capturing:

(a) Seasonal flora, particularly blossom, together with field margins, hedgerows, roadsides, verges, cottage gardens, copses etc.

( b ) Views of the countryside, such as may provide a suitable visual reference for the creation of a 'backscene' to be placed behind the burgeoning community of Castle Aching.

I am greatly obliged to you for your assistance in this matter,

Colonel Knap-Flint-Outhouse, Rtd

May I suggest that although taking photos of blossom might be easy, it might be more difficult to obtain pictures suitable for Edwardian Norfolk.  What I mean is that there has been a lot of hedge grubbing up, in the 50s I think, and that large fields,, or worse, large fields full of rape, would not be an ideal Edwardian backscene.  Smaller fields with either, wheat, cattle, sheep or turnips I think might be better.  I am likely to be going up to Norwich in the next month or so but as I will be carrying radioactives up there and a colleague both there and back it might be a little difficult to stop.

May I suggest that although taking photos of blossom might be easy, it might be more difficult to obtain pictures suitable for Edwardian Norfolk.  What I mean is that there has been a lot of hedge grubbing up, in the 50s I think, and that large fields,, or worse, large fields full of rape, would not be an ideal Edwardian backscene.  Smaller fields with either, wheat, cattle, sheep or turnips I think might be better.  I am likely to be going up to Norwich in the next month or so but as I will be carrying radioactives up there and a colleague both there and back it might be a little difficult to stop.

Thanks, Chris.  I take your point, but I can adapt.  The intention is not to use photographic back-scenes, but to attempt something 3D.

When I was pondering a model of Fenmarch on the IOE&MR 2-3 years ago, I had to think about how to do backscenes involving the totally flat landscape of the Fens.  I realised that I would need a series of low-profile flats, each representing one in a series of receding fields.  When considering a GWR layout in Devon, I thought of those rounded hills as a series of low relief hills.

I find there is an article on this very subject in this month's RM

As I build towards the back of the Castle Aching village scene, I want to include a low-profile 3D backscene of the countryside beyond (the sky can come later as the backscene proper or traditional 2D backscene).

What would help would be views of suitable bits of Norfolk countryside to base it on.

Imagine, if you will, a series of receding hills, fields, hedgelines, copses etc, that could sit behind the village composition, taking us up to the horizon. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You also want to think about how flora have changed - loss of elms for example. I am having the same issue for mid Wales in the 1930s. I am getting 'Trees' in the New Naturalist series from the library tomorrow, as it is one I do not have. There are several good books on the English countryside such as Oliver Rackham's 'Trees and woodland in the British landscape'. In the NN series others are L Dudley Stamp's 'Britain's structure and scenery' and the same author's 'Man and the land'. All well worth reading and a good way of filling time when modelling is not possible. Another useful reference, though probably a bit late for you as you have many of your buildings complete is 'Brick building in R W Brunskill's 'Brick building in Britain.

I was recently bowled over by the backscenes to Tollesbury Quay in the latest Model Railway Journal. It is almost impossible to see where the transition comes between three and two dimensions.

Jonathan

• Like 3

Worth also looking at the Norwich school of water colourists: Crome Cotman Stannard

even, dare I suggest, that TOWIE painter Constabule.

They were all really good at big characterful trees against great skies, well worth ripping off as receding/diminishing silhouette flats.

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fellow's a damned fool! Why doesn't he take an interest in his own countryside, eh? I'll tell you why, sir, if he stuck his nose outside his front door, he'd get served with a paternity suit, that's why! All the blithering idiot can do is tool off in the jungle shooting polar bears, that's what Britain has come to. The bounder had better not show up in Washbourne, we'd throw him in the duck pond, damme, yes! Do you know, he's the sort of person who'd ask you why is the Poppy line called that?post-26540-0-02156700-1461574694_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-02156700-1461574694_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

One has to be a bit careful as spring seems to come somewhat earlier than in the past. For May probably the most dominant feature in the May blossom although well maintained hedges don't usually show that much the odd bit allowed to grow will do. Primroses will still be in flower and the Bluebells will be coming out also Milkmaids (the plant I mean) and Lady's Smock.

Don

• RMweb Gold

One has to be a bit careful as spring seems to come somewhat earlier than in the past. For May probably the most dominant feature in the May blossom although well maintained hedges don't usually show that much the odd bit allowed to grow will do. Primroses will still be in flower and the Bluebells will be coming out also Milkmaids (the plant I mean) and Lady's Smock.

Don

And don't forget too that agriculture has changed significantly since the Edwardian age with different crops being grown and different crop rotations being used, different animals (different types of cattle for example), and if you are near a river with an inclination to flood the management of water meadows was a very seasonal related process.

• RMweb Gold

What would help would be views of suitable bits of Norfolk countryside to base it on.

Imagine, if you will, a series of receding hills, fields, hedgelines, copses etc, that could sit behind the village composition, taking us up to the horizon. 

Am I missing something here ?  Norfolk & hills ?

• Like 2

Norfolk has lots of rolling hills, often gently undulating, some more pronounced.  At times driving through it, I have even been reminded of Devon.  The similarity may, by some strange unfathomable means, account for why they have a west country accent in Norfolk!   

About 5-6 years ago I was working in a locum post in Wisbech (Cambridgeshire (just)), but my secretary was from Norfolk.  A lovely lady who hammed up her accent to say "they makes fun o' me 'ere, 'cos I's a bit Norrrrrrrfolk!"   

I suspect that a lot of people know Norfolk as the Broads, which I grant you is flat, but the real flatlands are the Fens, and they are found in North Cambridgeshire and South Lincolnshire.  That's were you will find people who, generation after generation, have never completed a tax return or married outside their immediate family (and you, hear that warning banjo playing in your head)!  

So, perhaps not hills as we have them here in County Durham, but definite contours!

post-25673-0-14306500-1461588967.jpg

post-25673-0-22841700-1461588980_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-98960900-1461588992.jpg

post-25673-0-04357300-1461589003_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-49280100-1461589013_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-19631000-1461589030.jpg

post-25673-0-02635500-1461589044_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Didn't know whether to do an agree for the topography or a funny over the accents!  Here in Spalding it's seriously flat, and sometimes very, very windy.  A cycling friend said, "O'course you know the wind comes straiiight orf them Russian urinals................"

I have been away (Germany, Ireland, Paris) over recent weeks and wonder if you still wanted the Cycle Shop info for your vacant shop premises?

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

Lovely town, Spalding.  Yes, please, an Edwardian cycle shop would be a great feature. 

The shots below were taken in Maytime, albeit not in Norfolk, but in the Cambridgeshire Fens.  These were taken in anticipation of my Fenmarch station model (to be set in May 1897), and I hope you will agree that, much as I love my hills, there can be beauty without contours too! 

post-25673-0-19327000-1461593004_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-27884100-1461593063_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-62349800-1461593115_thumb.jpg

Note, in particular, if you will, the state of the hedge, which would have been laid about February-March of that year as I recall.  

post-25673-0-22971900-1461593037_thumb.jpg

The wind comment (very funny) reminds me of why there are rings around Saturn.

post-25673-0-19327000-1461593004_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-22971900-1461593037_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-27884100-1461593063_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-62349800-1461593115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

What you would call a hill in Norfolk wouldn't pass for a mention round here. Someone said about cliffs in Norfolk I couldn't remember seeing any. It turned out he meant Hunstanton compared to the Exmoor coast (highest  sea cliffs in England I think) I hadn't registered Hunstanton as having cliffs. I recognise the view of Weybourne  from Kelling Heath area. Kelling Heath in June is colourful all that Purple heather and is somewhat raised. Most of my shots are more costal.

Don

• Like 2

What you would call a hill in Norfolk wouldn't pass for a mention round here. Someone said about cliffs in Norfolk I couldn't remember seeing any. It turned out he meant Hunstanton compared to the Exmoor coast (highest  sea cliffs in England I think) I hadn't registered Hunstanton as having cliffs. I recognise the view of Weybourne  from Kelling Heath area. Kelling Heath in June is colourful all that Purple heather and is somewhat raised. Most of my shots are more costal.

Don

You should see what they call a "hill" in the fens!

End of our lane was "Chapel Hill", for which read "Chapel Pimple"

I once heard a story that when telegraph poles were first erected in the fens, people had to lie down in order to be able to see them, because, if the brain isn't trained in infancy to be able to recognise verticals, the relevant neural networks never form.

But, the story may not have been completely true.

K

When there is nothing, I mean nothing, but sky visible behind a nearby hedgerow of modest height, and, for all your senses can perceive, the world simply ends the other side of it ...

When you stand by a river and look downhill to the farmland below ...

When you look at an iron post nine feet tall and realise that its top was ground level in the 1850s and that the adjacent ECML was not on an embankment when it was built ...

I tell you, living in the Fens plays with one's perceptions of reality!

Either that or it's the medication, I suppose ....

• Like 5