I love Tin Tabernacles, and I think they've cropped up here in the past.  IIRC, they were produced from the mid-Nineteenth Century onward.  Given the right location, the date of 1905 is fine.

In Nancy Mitford's novels, every time Uncle Matt experiences a financial crisis he buys himself a new car.

I fully understand the psychology of this.  Last weekend, fuelled by posts on Tin Tabernacles and a glass of the sort of New World vin rouge that I can still afford, I ordered a book.

It came today, and I was not disappointed .... !

post-25673-0-42916500-1506013999_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Uax6

Why?

Are you thinking of founding a sect?

Compound

Grim up north, or what?

One of Emmett's drawings shows a group of retired guys, fisherman living in upturned boat etc. The railwayman is living in a lovely old brake van, with flowers on the verandah etc ....... he clearly isn't getting his pension from the L&Y

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm a long way from founding a sect... at the minute at least!

I've been interested in pre-fab buildings for years, and I like to see the nuts and bolts of these things...

Rev Andy G

• Like 2

Uax6

Why?

Are you thinking of founding a sect?

Compound

Grim up north, or what?

One of Emmett's drawings shows a group of retired guys, fisherman living in upturned boat etc. The railwayman is living in a lovely old brake van, with flowers on the verandah etc ....... he clearly isn't getting his pension from the L&Y

K

Evidently the ex-railwayman was forced to follow the architectural rules of the district......

• Like 1

In Nancy Mitford's novels, every time Uncle Matt experiences a financial crisis he buys himself a new car.

I fully understand the psychology of this.  Last weekend, fuelled by posts on Tin Tabernacles and a glass of the sort of New World vin rouge that I can still afford, I ordered a book.

It came today, and I was not disappointed .... !

Does it have the one in Whipcord Lane, Chester in it?

... it's only because his pension won't run to this.

"pension"?

pension?

What's one of those?!?

I will die in the traces.

Now that looks like an interesting book that I should have on the shelf, whats it like inside? I hope is has constructional drawings etc?

Andy G

No scale drawings.  Lots of photographs and fairly intelligent text.

Plenty of inspiration for the modeller...

post-25673-0-68378400-1506063513_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-87347500-1506063551_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-57366000-1506063598_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61043700-1506063675_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-95503000-1506063724_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-62187900-1506063778_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Those repros of period adverts are a delight.

I was particularly interested in the glimpse in the top corner of one of the pics at a Liverpool advert. Their premises were on Spekeland Rd which borders the southwest edge of the Edge Hill railway yards (beside the tunnels down to the original L&M Crown Street terminus).

One can imagine an industrious business sourcing the inventories for their buildings from across the kingdom and combining items into waggonloads being dispatched to fulfil orders.(did the spires come as standard or could you order encrusted Castillean gothic on an expensive impulse?)

Australians as well as settlements around the Caribbean built with cast iron building components from Liverpool. Adjacent to St Michaels, Aigburth was the Cast Iron Shore (St Michaels church itself is very heavy cast iron dating from the Napoleonic years) . A specialty of the shore was elaborately decorated baconies- many are still to be found in Melbourne and New Orleans.

So at the end of the century it seems possible this activity had spawned a lighterweight pre-fab buiding industry - both adjacent to the docks (Herculaneum) and Edge Hill railway yards for inland destinations. The south end of the city was the Protestant end - more particularly Welsh non-conformist - so that might be the slant of the advert.

dh

Reminds me of the old Patent Office Library off Chancery Lane, where I spent a lot of time in the 1970s and 1980s.  St Michaels has better stained glass, though...

patent-office-old-photo.jpg

Excellent.

Less ironmongery, save for the galleries, but in days past I spent an unconscionable amount of time here:

post-25673-0-80612300-1506158628_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Actually, there is, now, a base board.

That's only taken 17 months.

I now have to think about track laying.  DonW's excellent Templotting means I have to hand-build all the points.

Gulp.

Now, finally, we can clearly see the plan unfold.

The station is set at an angle to the wall/boards, as this increases the length and brings it to the foreground.  The element of genius (ahem) is in having the very end of the line over-lap the door frame slightly.  This allows the viewer the opportunity to sit on the stop-blocks, as it were, and look right down the line, under the overall roof and see the rest of the scenic portion curve away behind, with the keep of the castle right at the back.. That is the 'vision' or mental picture that started the project.

I find, much to my delight, that it is even possible to view the far side of a train obliquely from this position.

I suspect the thing to do will be to de-mount the station board and bring it into the house for track-laying in due course.

post-25673-0-23111800-1506251297_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-66151100-1506251393_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-64259600-1506251425_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-19960800-1506251460_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-90237700-1506252051_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-60980300-1506252240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18