You do know that the Hastings Line could only be used by rolling stock of restricted dimensions, because some of the tunnels were very tight, as a result of having to be reinforced after the contractor skimped/bodged them?

I don’t know whether or not the Moguls fitted, and I don’t know whether or not the particular birdcages modelled by whoever-it-is fitted, but you might be safer making it a Reading-Redhill-Tonbridge Train ( until someone pipes-up that the moguls didn’t work those until ...... etc etc etc)

All good stuff, and a very nice picture, but I’ve just realised we’re talking about it on CA thread, when it is neither East Anglian, nor Edwardian.

K

Yes it is highly improper, and only because the gentle and kind nature of Edwardian himself.

I do have feeling however that he would excuse my impudence where it is a salutary lesson in how people can become or are in fact muddled!

I also thought the N class always fitted the Hastings line, as did the Birdcage stock, but await correction.

That headcode also suits main line trains via Dartford Loop, which might provide relief from the strictures of discovering facts.... 

I have taken the liberty of editing the pic a few pages back, message 7245 with 810 and Birdcages, so embarrassed am I. I will cease putting my pictures and associated muddlemnt here.

cheers,

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

James had better be careful: he has imitators!

Looking on a Facebook page at a new Stanier 2-6-4T For Train Simulator, I noticed a comment about it, and his profile picture exactly matched that of our much beloved and cherished J. E. Dwardian

Or maybe he is really Jedward Ian...

James had better be careful: he has imitators!

Looking on a Facebook page at a new Stanier 2-6-4T For Train Simulator, I noticed a comment about it, and his profile picture exactly matched that of our much beloved and cherished J. E. Dwardian.

The Men in Ultramarine have been notified, and have notfied the Men in Umber, Lake, Malachite, Pea Green, Wainwright, Apple Green and Copper. Mr Drummond (CME for the Men in Pea Green, Men in Blue and the Men in IEG (Highland Division)), whilst Mr Stirling has notified those manning the East Coast and South Eastern divisions that an imitator is wandering the fens and North Downs...

The imitator will be tracked down, and disposed of as you see fit, SIR!

DISMISSED...

I THINK I TOOK THAT A BIT FAR... OH WELL!!!

Horse-whipped on the steps of his club, I should think.

Yesterday, we had snow.  It was lunchtime before we managed to get the kids to school.

Overnight we had more, much more, snow.

Today would be the day I am due at a monthly Board meeting.   In London.

So, out at 5am with shovels.

post-25673-0-24586400-1516264547_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-16147000-1516264655_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-26529900-1516264792_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-10703600-1516264926_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have chosen Tunbridge Wells and Hastings branch via Orpington Loop.

The scene is generic setting, so it's not accurate, it is modified from a choke gasp LMS Compound photo  but don't tell anyone.

attachicon.gif810_SECR_N_country2_4ab_r1200.jpg

Summer 1918 on the Hastings line...      darkest deepest Kent...   SECR and all that. 

preliminary    :)

edit;  sorry to have been ambiguous about 'having a picture of an N class' etc., as it is a picture of my own creation from a generic scene, whereby I have illustrated GWR and LMS and even BR Standard Britannias.  It was originally a Midland line scene with a Compound, location unknown.

edit 2.     I am already writing out my lines.  I must not be so impulsive, I must not be so impulsive....

You best relocate that picture to East Kent the N where to big for the Hastings line Route 0 which is why the N1 where built

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have chosen Tunbridge Wells and Hastings branch via Orpington Loop.

The scene is generic setting, so it's not accurate, it is modified from a choke gasp LMS Compound photo  but don't tell anyone.

attachicon.gif810_SECR_N_country2_4ab_r1200.jpg

Summer 1918 on the Hastings line...      darkest deepest Kent...   SECR and all that. 

preliminary    :)

edit;  sorry to have been ambiguous about 'having a picture of an N class' etc., as it is a picture of my own creation from a generic scene, whereby I have illustrated GWR and LMS and even BR Standard Britannias.  It was originally a Midland line scene with a Compound, location unknown.

edit 2.     I am already writing out my lines.  I must not be so impulsive, I must not be so impulsive....

An earlier version on the Hastings line  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/82590-sec-cl-d-440-no-145-on-hastings-car-train/

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope our chappie has had the good sense to drive the jolly old pony and trap over to Kirkby Stephen and get the good old Midland, eh? sir, If he goes on that Doncaster rigmarole all the bally wires are down, what? Then it’ll be Shanks’ Pony and we’ll have to get the old St. Bernard out looking for him, damme if we don’t.

Well, we did our best.  Gritting last night in preparation.  Out at 5 with shovels.  I thought we'd done enough, but, no sooner had I posted that last post, the Memsahib called from the top of the drive, stuck.

I have just returned from more shovelling, gritting and pushing, aided by the farmer, but, alas, to no avail.  Within sight of the summit of the lane, we have had to abandon the attempt.  No one is going anywhere today.

Pretty, though.

post-25673-0-76486200-1516269333_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-74285400-1516269637_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-17490900-1516269898_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-23735800-1516270119_thumb.jpg

Nick

I think even the N1 were restricted to remain north of Grove Junction, but I'm going to look in the Sectional Appendix for 1935 this evening to check which classes were cleared for the Grove Jct to Crowhurst section. Wikipedia says they were used for the full route, and that is presumably lifted from an authoritative source, but I like to go straight to the contemporary sources if possible.

I can't for the life of me find a picture on the web of a steam-hauled goods train on the Hastings Line pre-BR, but I suspect that may normally have been hauled by O class with old-style cabs.

Engines with pagoda cabs worked the Bexhill West branch, but they could get there via Rye, so didn't need to squeeze through the thinnest of the tunnels.

Edwardian - should we move this arcana elsewhere?

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nick

I think even the N1 were restricted to remain north of Grove Junction, but I'm going to look in the Sectional Appendix for 1935 this evening to check what classes were cleared for the Grove Jct to Crowhurst section.

I can't for the life of me find a picture on the web of a steam-hauled goods train on the Hastings Line pre-BR, but I suspect that may have been hauled by O class with old-style cabs.

Engines with pagoda cabs worked the Bexhill West branch, but they could get there via Rye, so didn't need to squeeze through the thinnest of the tunnels.

Kevin

SEMG site suggests the N1 where converted to R0 restriction

As to freight there must have used something to serve the Gypsum mine at Mountfield

Mountfield_halt.gif

pictures dated 1936  no idea what it is though ?

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/File:Mountfield_halt.gif

anyway enough of this lets get back to  Norfolk

Nick

edit to add picture

Edited by nick_bastable

Nick

I think even the N1 were restricted to remain north of Grove Junction, but I'm going to look in the Sectional Appendix for 1935 this evening to check which classes were cleared for the Grove Jct to Crowhurst section. Wikipedia says they were used for the full route, and that is presumably lifted from an authoritative source, but I like to go straight to the contemporary sources if possible.

I can't for the life of me find a picture on the web of a steam-hauled goods train on the Hastings Line pre-BR, but I suspect that may normally have been hauled by O class with old-style cabs.

Edwardian - should we move this arcana elsewhere?

Kevin

All contributions to the SE&CR traffic on the Tonbridge cut-off (which includes much Hastings traffic) topic (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130022-secr-traffic-on-the-tonbridge-cut-off/), will be gratefully received!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As to freight there must have used something to serve the Gypsum mine at Mountfield

Mountfield_halt.gif

pictures dated 1936 no idea what it is though ?

anyway enough of this lets get back to Norfolk

Nick

edit to add picture

It is a C Class. The O1 doesn't have a sandbox on the middle splasher

Gary

• Like 1

Mountfield_halt.gif

pictures dateHTHd 1936  no idea what it is though ?

anyway enough of this lets get back to  Norfolk

Nick

edit to add picture

Not clear "what it is" refers to. Kevin has addressed the loco, if you mean the location of Mountfield Halt it is between Robertsbridge and Battle, opened in 1923 and closed 6 October 1969

HTH

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not clear "what it is" refers to. Kevin has addressed the loco, if you mean the location of Mountfield Halt it is between Robertsbridge and Battle, opened in 1923 and closed 6 October 1969

HTH

dh

the location is known and credited  in the link   I dismissed it been a 0 or 01  as the tenders for them had outside springs on the tank sides  above the running plate ( probably the wrong terminology used    :dontknow: )

Nick

Lots of long faces on the School Buses round here.  no snow to frolic in not even a sprinkling, no excuses!  just lessons !  

Well, the our kids' school never closes, even for snow, because it's primarily a boarding school, but I hear that very few day pupils made it in; certainly no one from 'up dale'.

I suspect most people spent the morning digging out their sheep.

No more snow fell today, but it is still there and more is forecast overnight.  Fortunately, I have at least a case of wine left in the house after Christmas, so we are in no immediate danger.

• Like 6

Which is also the easy way to distinguish a B1 from an F1, IIRC

Although probably true for the F1, some O1s were paired up with ex LCDR tenders, which had their sprIngs below the footplate. This was due, mainly, to the old SER tenders developing leaks. However this was only a short term measure, mainly for a few years in the twenties, although one did run until 1947, as sound ones became available as O's were scrapped.

I have discovered that the true path lies with standardisation.

post-7929-0-62053500-1516311441_thumb.jpg

I do hope the weather becomes kinder, Edwardian.  My condolences from where it is somewhat warmer.

Actually, although it bears no relevance to CA I have discovered that these days it is hard to find a pristine 9F to photograph!

Lest you become snowbound for too long, which is quite hard to imagine from the heat of the NZ summer, I can only wish you can survive with all due comfort, even if it is all very difficult.

Edited by robmcg

I have discovered that the true path lies with standardisation.

attachicon.gif92192_9F_portrait20_1abcd_r1200.jpg

Ahh... a worthy contender to challenge Stubby's Monorail ..... a 2-10-0 in gauge Zero ... a triumph ! no sleepers to worry about ... FB or BH arguments prevented, DC or DCC circumsizednavigated  (only two wires? pah! no wires here! ) What's not to like?

• Like 3