Like this, you mean, Peggy?

Greenwich Park, which was what prompted me to ask about urban.

It’s a seriously good job they aren’t 0 scale tin, otherwise I’d be in trouble. One can get a tin terrier in this livery, and about one a week I get very tempted, because it would nicely ‘complete the set’ with the LBSCR and LSWR ones, but then it would need a train like the others have, and my ‘engine budget’ would be overdrawn (again!).

post-26817-0-09103800-1527068155_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

I will be ordering one on Friday... double the price of my Wills 1027, but I can resist it no longer! And, more to the point, I can just about scrape together enough for 178.

All this talk of me being an international criminal is truly laughable! I mean, I am merely a draughtsman for multiple minor railway companies in East Anglia and Sussex, it seems now part of the Euphonium section of a few bands, two in Sussex and now one in East Anglia (Castle Aching Silver Band, no less!) and a quiet member of the Castle Aching Parish Council. How could I possibly be responsible for any form of espionage.

My namesake at this date is merely an employee of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway...

Now, follow each  of them and find out all they know. If they know too much you have permission from me to dispatch them to Brookwood. That Mr Dunkley appears to know something, as does that Dwardian fellow. I hear this latter has already retreated, in fear, to County Durham, and the other has resided in the Midlands for some time now. Find Them, or else you're up for the chop yourself...

Mwahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh...

Now, they look very pretty indeed!

But, given how famously modest the performance of the real things is, deeply sub-terrier, what work do you have in mind for them? Are we looking urban, or rural?

Surely not the death of a thousand razor-saw cuts to make them into something West Norfolkian.

Luckily Lord Erstwhile had Robert Francis Fairlie over in one of his shooting parties; a chamber maid handed this rough sketch over to the Housekeeper apparently on the flyleaf torn from a bedside bible in one of the guestrooms:

post-21705-0-64014900-1527075330_thumb.jpg

it doesn't bear much close examination

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, Tim. That is not the book I asked for for Christmas.

Neither is "Railway telegraph insulators".

And I thought books about the Bishop's Castle Railway were obscure!

Come to think of it there is not really a lot of difference in names between Bishop's Castle and Castle Aching. However, I have a feeling that the members of CA parish council will be more successful in their efforts to attract railway promoters than were the burghers of Bishop's Castle.

Back briefly to Llandrindod Wells, it was certainly in Victorian times and just after a Very Posh Place. But I was under the impression that that was also the slogan for CA. None of your riff-raff wanted. they can go to Sheringham or Cromer. Rather like the distinction between Frinton and Walton.

And to be serious for a fleeting second, the Ps are very nice but a problem with any 4 mm/ft model in SECR livery (other than the grey one) is that the lining has to be seriously over-scale to be seen. Remember that on the prototype lines could be as thin as 1/8th inch, which scales down in 4 mm/ft to virtually nothing. 

Still they look very, very nice and it is as well that I am not modelling any line which could possible have acquired one.

Jonathan

• Like 3

And to be serious for a fleeting second, the Ps are very nice but a problem with any 4 mm/ft model in SECR livery (other than the grey one) is that the lining has to be seriously over-scale to be seen. Remember that on the prototype lines could be as thin as 1/8th inch, which scales down in 4 mm/ft to virtually nothing.

Still they look very, very nice and it is as well that I am not modelling any line which could possible have acquired one.

Jonathan

Since when has THAT stopped anyone from purchasing a desirable loco?  Rule 1 and all that!

*wheedles*

Go on, you know you want one. Or two. Or.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Luckily Lord Erstwhile had Robert Francis Fairlie over in one of his shooting parties; a chamber maid handed this rough sketch over to the Housekeeper apparently on the flyleaf torn from a bedside bible in one of the guestrooms:

attachicon.gifWNR Fairlie.jpg

it doesn't bear much close examination

dh

It'll be interesting to see the track after its been around the first curve.....

• Like 1

In these circumstances, I have taken to using my Natal Day as an excuse for an indulgence.

This year ....

All I can say is... Snap!

post-793-0-33860000-1527078763_thumb.jpg

Yes, the lining might be slightly overscale, but it seems to all be there... and have you ever tried suggesting to a 2mm finescale modeller that they omit lining on, say, a BR green loco because it'll be overscale? *Runs for cover*

Seriously, though, the lining breaks up what would otherwise be large expanses of block colours, and can drastically affect the appearance of the whole thing, so in my case, I'd rather have it overscale (but not *too* overscale...)!

Besides, aren't they just gorgeous?

(and as for those push-pull coaches Nearholmer posted... I think I need to try to clear some time in my schedule and dust off the CAD software again...)

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 6

All I can say is... Snap!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180521_180344014.jpg

Yes, the lining might be slightly overscale, but it seems to all be there... and have you ever tried suggesting to a 2mm finescale modeller that they omit lining on, say, a BR green loco because it'll be overscale? *Runs for cover*

Seriously, though, the lining breaks up what would otherwise be large expanses of block colours, and can drastically affect the appearance of the whole thing, so in my case, I'd rather have it overscale (but not *too* overscale...)!

Besides, aren't they just gorgeous?

(and as for those push-pull coaches Nearholmer posted... I think I need to try to clear some time in my schedule and dust off the CAD software again...)

Well, you made your point that it might not be possible to produce T W Worsdell's lining absolutely to scale on a Gauge 5 loco, so in 4mm, you have to do/choose what looks best.

post-25673-0-71281800-1527079711_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-00856200-1527079759_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Like this, you mean, Peggy?

Greenwich Park, which was what prompted me to ask about urban.

It’s a seriously good job they aren’t 0 scale tin, otherwise I’d be in trouble. One can get a tin terrier in this livery, and about one a week I get very tempted, because it would nicely ‘complete the set’ with the LBSCR and LSWR ones, but then it would need a train like the others have, and my ‘engine budget’ would be overdrawn (again!).

That's the one. I had an idea it was at Greenwich Park, but I wasn't quite sure. I think that train would make an absolutely delightful model. 

(As an aside, I just can't drum up any enthusiasm for the BR filth period, which makes me a heretic. Something like a 'P' in full SECR livery sends me into a state not far removed from ecstasy.)

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

Interesting - looks like Hattons have forgotten the red lining inside the wheel tyres, while the Bluebell have forgotten to line the wheel centres!  :jester:

Can't trust the prototype to get it right......  :no:

In these circumstances, I have taken to using my Natal Day as an excuse for an indulgence. 

Likewise, though as mine is actually suitably wrapped, I won't see it until the weekend. So no photos.

And thanks to Y##el bending the package in two, I won't have my "finescale" track mini-layout for it to run on! 

IIRC, there were 2 such sets.  The other motor trains were made from converted 6-wheel stock.

Now.........

There's an idea!  All I would need is some inexpensive 6-wheel stock.

Hmmmm.....

Now.........

There's an idea!  All I would need is some inexpensive 6-wheel stock.

Hmmmm.....

There are drawings of both the short bogie trailers and a typical 6-wheel motor-fitted 3-set in Mike King's book on Southern push-pull coaches. 

All I need is a friendly soul with a laser or Silhouette cutter .....

Linny clearly needs some coaches to go with his ...

hint ...

hint ...

• Like 2

I thought that, when LCDRsix wheeler stock was converted to become PP, the middle axles were removed, although I think I might have in mind SR conversions.

Were some done earlier and remained six-wheelers?

The bogie ones look like ratio midland stock conversion territory, to me.

• Like 3

I thought that, when LCDRsix wheeler stock was converted to become PP, the middle axles were removed, although I think I might have in mind SR conversions.

Were some done earlier and remained six-wheelers?

The bogie ones look like ratio midland stock conversion territory, to me.

I was thinking that for the FWB stock, a couple of Ratio GWR 4 wheelers might suffice.....

• Like 2

There are drawings of both the short bogie trailers and a typical 6-wheel motor-fitted 3-set in Mike King's book on Southern push-pull coaches. 

All I need is a friendly soul with a laser or Silhouette cutter .....

Linny clearly needs some coaches to go with his ...

hint ...

hint ...

I still haven't managed to successfully produce a working 6-wheeled chassis yet, though I've had some ideas... I am currently aiming for any of my coach kits to go around 2nd-radius curves, especially the shorter stock. This sounds draconian until one remembers setrack points, the favourite of those short of space! Rest assured, there is ongoing work here.

The bogie trailers on the other hand... There's a possibility there!

• Like 4

I still haven't managed to successfully produce a working 6-wheeled chassis yet, though I've had some ideas... I am currently aiming for any of my coach kits to go around 2nd-radius curves, especially the shorter stock. This sounds draconian until one remembers setrack points, the favourite of those short of space! Rest assured, there is ongoing work here.

The bogie trailers on the other hand... There's a possibility there!

Sorry, shouldn't nag!

My preference is for the 6-wheel stock.  It's squared beading LCDR style, IIRC, so simple enough that I might tackle it, but it's not worth doing so if you make a version, which would be my preference.

I am looking to use etched W irons, with integral brake shoes, and cast axle-box/springs for coaching stock - I am awaiting some before starting your Stroudley 4-wheelers (the buffers arrived yesterday, so Chris Cox evidently has replenished his stock) - so would make my own arrangements for 6-wheelers. I have to do so for a number of planned 6-wheelers in any case, so another 3 isn't a major drama.

In other words, I'd be content for a body kit.  After all, this is what Diagram 3D provide: http://diagram3d.com/

That is not to say I wouldn't take the bogie set in due course (I do have 2 Ps, after all!).

• Like 4

For them as wants just the bodies, feel free to drop me a PM, I'm sure we could come to some arrangement... Good to hear Chris is still getting buffers out; I hope I haven't swamped him with too much work!

I have quite a few hours this weekend with little to do and no internet connection (visiting the family down south) so I may find myself doodling some SECR coach bodies. If you're making your own chassis, that certainly saves me some work (although I'll need them for my own coaches, but I can get the bodies done first)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, shouldn't nag!

My preference is for the 6-wheel stock.  It's squared beading LCDR style, IIRC, so simple enough that I might tackle it, but it's not worth doing so if you make a version, which would be my preference.

I am looking to use etched W irons, with integral brake shoes, and cast axle-box/springs for coaching stock - I am awaiting some before starting your Stroudley 4-wheelers (the buffers arrived yesterday, so Chris Cox evidently has replenished his stock) - so would make my own arrangements for 6-wheelers. I have to do so for a number of planned 6-wheelers in any case, so another 3 isn't a major drama.

In other words, I'd be content for a body kit.  After all, this is what Diagram 3D provide: http://diagram3d.com/

That is not to say I wouldn't take the bogie set in due course (I do have 2 Ps, after all!).

I've been sorely tempted by their  mid 1800's 'O' gauge LNWR coaches.  I'm still keeping a small but hopeful candle lit for an 'O' gauge light railway at sometime in the future.

For them as wants just the bodies, feel free to drop me a PM, I'm sure we could come to some arrangement... Good to hear Chris is still getting buffers out; I hope I haven't swamped him with too much work!

I have quite a few hours this weekend with little to do and no internet connection (visiting the family down south) so I may find myself doodling some SECR coach bodies. If you're making your own chassis, that certainly saves me some work (although I'll need them for my own coaches, but I can get the bodies done first)

Thanks, Linny.  You can consider this a PM, if you would be so kind!

I was very tempted to build the Stroudleys as supplied, but I am trying to standardise everything, so I'm trying to develop a single, uniform, method for 4-wheel and for 6-wheel coaches.  The latter will have a slight variation to reflect the difference GNR- and RCH treatment of the centre bearings, but otherwise I'm trying to standardise all the moving bits! 

Boring WNR stuff, not immediately relevant to you, I realise, but I have planned WNR, GER, GNR and MR 6-wheelers planned, and, so, I am likely to apply the same solution I adopt for these to the ex-LCDR 6-wheelers.

Likewise, I have WNR, GER and E&MR 4-wheelers planned, and I'm aiming to apply the same methodology to the Stroudleys.

• Like 5

If you want to build just one Stroudley as supplied, the body and the underframe are completely separate units, and the buffers should be a push-fit into the bufferbeams, so with the possible exception of some pinpoint bearings (and even these could probably be left loose, held in place by the wheels) you could build up one card chassis.Just don't glue any non-card bits to the chassis, and don't glue the body to the underframe... Go on, give it a go! 

If you want to build just one Stroudley as supplied, the body and the underframe are completely separate units, and the buffers should be a push-fit into the bufferbeams, so with the possible exception of some pinpoint bearings (and even these could probably be left loose, held in place by the wheels) you could build up one card chassis.Just don't glue any non-card bits to the chassis, and don't glue the body to the underframe... Go on, give it a go! 

I'll have to look at them again, but I am assuming that I use the chassis, but just substitute the card W irons and springs/axle boxes for etched/cast ones. So, I would use the sole bars, headstocks etc supplied.

Oh, that reminds me, I need to source something for the gas tanks - that had quite slipped my mind - a pair for 3 of the coaches, the full brake remains oil-lit. 

I've been sorely tempted by their  mid 1800's 'O' gauge LNWR coaches.  I'm still keeping a small but hopeful candle lit for an 'O' gauge light railway at sometime in the future.

And now available in 4mm.

Perhaps the WN should purchase one?

• Like 4