Photo

Castle Aching

Pre-Grouping Norfolk Light Railway GER M&GN Freelance OO Card Modelling RTR Conversion

• Please log in to reply
9937 replies to this topic

#9926 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • LocationLand of the Prince Bishops

Posted Yesterday, 16:42

Thanks. Yes, I probably was getting mixed-up with SR conversions.

A big diversion for CA, but while we are on it, services that used these SECR conversions?

Looking at the Bluebell history of one of its Ps, I was surprised by how many routes they worked on, all briefly.

Ash-Aldershot; Beckenham Jc - Norwood Jc; Victoria -St Paul’s; Greenwich Park; isle of Grain; Westerham; Sevenoaks - Otford.

Were there more?

1914 Allocations:

Both bogie sets - Greenwich Park

6-wheel 3-sets: Brixton-Moorgate (2 sets, employed one either side of an 0-4-4T, R or R1); St Paul's-Victoria (1 set); Otford-Sevenoaks (1 set); Dover Priory-Canterbury East (1 set); Swanley Junc.-Gravesend West St. (1 set); Birchington-Ramsgate (1 set).

They were also used on Aldershot-Ash

Aside for the Brixton-Moorgate service, these services all seem to have been in the hands of Ps.

The Brixton-Moorgate sets and R tanks were soon transferred to other services: Snow Hill-Crystal Palace and Gravesend Central-Port Victoria. 

It is thought that a set may have been trialled on the Westerham branch (which is my excuse) and on the Hawkhurst branch.

In late 1915/early 1916, a set was trialled on the Bexhill West line.

The 3-sets varied.  The King drawings are of one of the more common formations.  There were a few ex-SER coaches used.

• Thanks x 1

#9927 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationRoyal Wootton Bassett

Posted Yesterday, 16:51

Lord help us, I did post about LCDR push pull conversions a while back, with drawings. Which thread was it ? Who did I do it for? Why am I trying to remember after two pints of Old Rosie cloudy cider (7.8%) at lunch time. Help! (back when my brain clears)
  • Friendly/Supportive x 2
  • Funny x 1

#9928 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,179 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 17:06

The Dover to Canterbury one I would never have guessed, but thinking about it there was a coal rush going on along that section at the time, with, I think, one or two extra stations added as a result, so there must have been quite a lot of local traffic.
  • Informative/Useful x 2

#9929 Compound2632

Compound2632

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted Yesterday, 17:29

Happy Birthday.

• Thanks x 1

#9930 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:42

Lord help us, I did post about LCDR push pull conversions a while back, with drawings. Which thread was it ? Who did I do it for? Why am I trying to remember after two pints of Old Rosie cloudy cider (7.8%) at lunch time. Help! (back when my brain clears)

There was another topic, and I've sent plans to a couple of people here, too!

My copy of King is slightly crinkly, because the Memsahib dropped it in the bath.

It has shiny paper, so survived, and flattens well enough for photocopies and scans!

#9931 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,179 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 17:54

Why was she reading carriage diagrams in the bath?
  • Agree x 4
  • Like x 2

#9932 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:58

One of the insoluble mysteries of life

• Funny x 3
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#9933 Compound2632

Compound2632

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted Yesterday, 18:05

Shiny paper = insoluble. Fortunate!

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#9934 Hroth

Hroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:07

As an inveterate reader, I'll admit to reading anything while doing something essentially non-productive, ie eating breakfast, watching the TV, listening to the radio, in the bath, on.....  Well you get my point! 

So I can understand why the Mem might have a book of carriage diagrams in the bathroom.  

• Like x 1

#9935 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationRoyal Wootton Bassett

Posted Yesterday, 19:53

I’ve found it! (God, I’m thirsty) post 1155.
http://www.rmweb.co....47#entry2862241
Edit more prominence needed: LCDR PUSH PULL COACHES.

Edited by Northroader, Yesterday, 21:20 .

• Like x 1

#9936 St Enodoc

St Enodoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 21:40

Interesting - looks like Hattons have forgotten the red lining inside the wheel tyres, while the Bluebell have forgotten to line the wheel centres!  :jester:

Can't trust the prototype to get it right......  :no:

Standing up for Bluebell, I would point out that 753 (formerly Pride of Sussex) lives not at the Bluebell but the K&ESR, which is where the photo was taken:

https://www.flickr.c...chen/4593319302

• Informative/Useful x 2

#9937 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,179 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 21:45

Well, I think that untangling all that, what it says is that three coach, six wheeler sets remained in use until 1929, which fits with something else i’ve Read, which is that the last six wheelers came out of service with the Sevenoaks electrification. They would have been on the Otford shuttle.

So, I already have a coarse approximation of this train, but run it with a Terrier.

Northroader needs a drink. I need a P.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9EAD07D1-1D5A-4064-A224-6C5CDBB97EFD.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer, Yesterday, 21:46 .

• Like x 4
  • Funny x 3

#9938 St Enodoc

St Enodoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 21:55

Well, I think that untangling all that, what it says is that three coach, six wheeler sets remained in use until 1929, which fits with something else i’ve Read, which is that the last six wheelers came out of service with the Sevenoaks electrification. They would have been on the Otford shuttle.

So, I already have a coarse approximation of this train, but run it with a Terrier.

Northroader needs a drink. I need a P.

"I'll have a P please Bob".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-Grouping, Norfolk, Light Railway, GER, M&GN, Freelance, OO, Card Modelling, RTR Conversion