Fireless Loco(s) at Huncoat Power Station near Burnley, Lancashire

Interesting video.  I particularly like the cover over the RSH's slidebars, I wonder why it was fitted?  I know the L&Y Pugs were so fitted but they tended to run on docks and road sides etc.  The fireless locos don't seem to have one fitted and they have a far more complicated set of rods.  I might think about fitting them to my RSH to provide a talking point.

From the photos I have seen, all the colliery locos had the covers, presumably to stop coal dust getting in. The only loco not so fitted was the NORI bricks loco, which ended up on the colliery line, but I don't think it was used that much. The fireless locos were primarily for the power station, and don't think they got to other side of Huncoat.

There is a good article in an old issue of Railway Bylines. I have it somewhere.

I have an old map(1940s) of the area, which shows how extensive the system was, as it linked the collieries and the brickworks, and there was a second junction with the mainline half way to Accrington, and this was mainly for the brickworks as far as  can tell.  Much of the lower line route still exists as a path, even its slight detour to avoid the cricket pavilion!

Edited by rue_d_etropal

The best answer that I have had about the covers over the slide bars on the colliery locos is that it was because of working to the coke ovens at Altham. Coke being very abrasive and the problems with dust would have caused considerable wear.

There were four locos on the system that I Know of.

The one at the CEGB power station.

One at the colliery and another for a single loco at the coke works.

There was another at the Nori brickworks.

There could well have been another at Whiney Hill Brickworks as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting video.  I particularly like the cover over the RSH's slidebars, I wonder why it was fitted?  I know the L&Y Pugs were so fitted but they tended to run on docks and road sides etc.  The fireless locos don't seem to have one fitted and they have a far more complicated set of rods.  I might think about fitting them to my RSH to provide a talking point.

I've just come back to this thread.

Thanks for the information on the steam feed.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

My Grandfather worked in the weighbridge at Whinney Hill for a short time after he retired as a teacher. As small boy of about 10yrs old I was let loose in the place! Just be careful what health and safety? this was In the mid 1950's. I do remember going for a ride on the Whinney Hill shunting engine , was it something like an L&Y pug? I also remember the continuous tramway from the quarry to the crushing plant. This was a continuous chain that picked up in a slot in a bracket on each end of the tubs. But the whole place was fascinating. They even produced hand made interlocking bricks in the "Terracota" Hope this is of help.

• 7 months later...

The Oakwood Press published a 94 page book on 'Fireless Locomotives' by Allan Baker and Allen Civil in 1976. It is Locomotion Papers No.97. I can't find an ISBN number so it may pre-date the system.

The book includes chapters on each of the builders plus lists of the locos built by Andrew Barclay, Hawthorn Leslie/RSH and Bagnall's. There are also nine drawings of various examples including Huncoat No.3.

Just wondering if it is worth getting a copy at a high second hand price, as Stenlake are now in charge of the Oakwood book collection, so might republish at some time. I want to see if I can convert a Liliput 060F into Huncoat no 3,by building a new body on the chassis. 

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Just wondering if it is worth getting a copy at a high second hand price, as Stenlake are now in charge of the Oakwood book collection, so might republish at some time. I want to see if I can convert a Liliput 060F into Huncoat no 3,by building a new body on the chassis. 

One supposes, it depends on how much you want it........................

I have this book, and there is no better source of reference currently available, describing every fireless loco built in the UK, and those imported.

However, if it's images you want, there are any number of industrial railway books and magazines, which generally skate over the subject in limited depth.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

The book is often advertised at relatively high prices, but with a little patience you can get it quite reasonably. It is certainly worth buying if you have an interest fireless locos.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...