Rocker

I'm not keeping up with the class: where did East Essex come in?

Hi-rail? It possibly is, because that is sometimes defined as "tinplate with near-scale scenery", I think. But if it is, that's very much more by accident than design, because the inspiration wasn't that particular US approach, but modelling as it was c1910 in England.

Kevin

Rocker

Hi-rail? It possibly is, because that is sometimes defined as "tinplate with near-scale scenery", I think. But if it is, that's very much more by accident than design, because the inspiration wasn't that particular US approach, but modelling as it was c1910 in England.

Kevin

I think "East Essex" is a mis-pronounciation of "Cee Ess EX" the well known railroad company

Rocker

Kevin

Strictly speaking, I think to REALLY qualify as "hi-rail" you need to run a 3-rail "Big Boy" on an 8'x4' figure-8..

Ah, I'd forgotten the discussion about Maldon ........ The hill there is indeed, as I think you are suggesting, modest, rather than alpine.

A giant articulated loco with about sixty wheels, flashing lights, bells, whistles, loud chuffing noises etc, hurtling round 18" curves at 200mph, nearly crashing into the caboose of its own train .......... That might actually be more fun than a buttoned-up shunting plank.

K

It is, of course, possible that the East Essex layout might be mis-named and be "Maldon - Market Hall" - but I don't know if it had one of those either! I only know the western part of Essex, around the border with Cambridge-shire, and the A505

Edited by shortliner

Ah, I'd forgotten the discussion about Maldon ........ The hill there is indeed, as I think you are suggesting, modest, rather than alpine.

A giant articulated loco with about sixty wheels, flashing lights, bells, whistles, loud chuffing noises etc, hurtling round 18" curves at 200mph, nearly crashing into the caboose of its own train .......... That might actually be more fun than a buttoned-up shunting plank.

K

Google it, it's on YouTube... Americans don't do things by halves!

Couldn't resist this, acknowledgements to Messrs Sellars and Yeatman

Whan Cnut Cyng the Witan wold enfeoff

Of infangthief and outfangthief

Wonderlich were they enwraged

And wordwar waged

Sware Cnut great scot and lot

Swingi wold ich this illbegotten lot.

Wroth was Cnut and wrothword spake.

Well wold he win at wopantake.

Fain wold he braki frith and cracki heads

And than they shold worshippe his redes.

Swinged Cnut Cyng with swung sword

Howled Witani helli but hearkened his word

Murie sang Cnut Cyng

Outfangthief is Damgudthyng.

Edited by rockershovel

One of the great things about RMWeb is its wide-ranging-ness.....

Thank you for that Rocker - I've never read the book, and started off thinking you'd given us an extract from one of genuine articles.

It was only when I got halfway through that the smell of rat became too strong to ignore.

Kevin

PS: Did something unpleasant happen to you at Maldon?

Edited by Nearholmer

Yes, the "elusive fragment"

"Sing a song of Saxons

In the wapentake of Rye

Four and twenty eaoldermen

To eaold to die..."

Is from the same source

Maldon, not particularly but like a lot of oilfield tramps of a certain age, my heart sinks a little at the mention of the tangled web of oil and gas pipelines, terminals and elderly, deteriorating production platforms between Holderness and the Medway. Eroding cliffs, windswept fire shores and bleak salt marshes; nature activists in those silly South American woolly hats; chronic problems with accommodation, the whole protected by its barrier of slow, clattering trains inhabited by what appears to be a travelling audition for the Jeremy Kyle Show, and congested urban sub-motorway, it's one if those jobs I'm always happy not to hear about unless I'm seriously broke, or playing the interminable politics of contract work in an international industry.

It's the origin of my distaste for DMU and EMU of all kinds, in case you hadn't guessed,

Ben

Edited by rockershovel

Things that did happen this weekend: a football tournament; a family outing to the circus (cold, rather than paltry); a small children's party; extended lunch with mother in law and a walk to feed the ducks; minor tidying of the workshop; ten minutes running a train on the main layout.

Things that didn't happen this weekend: any progress at all on Paltry Circus.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

Possibly the most uninteresting photo ever posted on RMWeb, but it does evidence that two baseboards for Paltry Circus are finished and have had their first coat of grey primer/undercoat.

If I hadn't decided to economise on wood, and use mainly off-cuts that I already had, I could have got to this stage a month ago!

Great indecision still rules as regards the fiddle-yard.

Kevin

post-26817-0-79641900-1457871955_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Monday report:

Er ...... See Post 62.

So far this w/e has consisted of: about ten minutes contributing quips to Edwardian's thread; erecting and dismantling a bouncy castle; two football matches; creating a huge Playmobil scenario all over the study floor (this was nearly like modelling!); a family walk in a downpour; a "sleepover" by an Easter-Egg fuelled small cousin; the aftermath of a game of "scientists", which involved all the "products" in the bathroom being mixed-up in the sink while I was making breakfast etc etc

Currently hiding in the bathroom, drinking coffee and pretending to be having a shower!

K

• Like 1

So far this w/e has consisted of: about ten minutes contributing quips to Edwardian's thread; erecting and dismantling a bouncy castle; two football matches; creating a huge Playmobil scenario all over the study floor (this was nearly like modelling!); a family walk in a downpour; a "sleepover" by an Easter-Egg fuelled small cousin; the aftermath of a game of "scientists", which involved all the "products" in the bathroom being mixed-up in the sink while I was making breakfast etc etc

No doubt greatly appreciated by all concerned!

Late yesterday evening, I spent a while fiddling about with fiddle-yard ideas; cassettes, turntables etc.

This is what I think I prefer. I was concerned about curve radius, but it looks OK, so far as a rough sketch using PowerPoint goes. And, yes, I will round the ends of the turntable off!

I think that battle can now commence, when a "sawing window" appears in my diary.

K

post-26817-0-82289600-1459257722_thumb.jpg

If you intend to reverse whole trains, then I think your design makes sense, but if you are using the fiddle yard as a sector plate, then you will move it through a smaller angle and thus need a less severe bend if you move the pivot away from the edge of it.  (ie to the right)

HTH

Simon