Make your BMRA 2018 award nominations here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

ordsall chord

bridge design building

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 QWILPEN

QWILPEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:14

Just found this on the design of the new bridge for the Ordsall Chord. I understand there are mixed feelings on the topic of the Chord it's self, that is not the point of this thread  only the building and design of the chord.

http://www.mancheste...51655#ICID=nsm

Thanks

Steve

• Informative/Useful x 1

#2 Zomboid

Zomboid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:00

It's hard to decouple the bridge from the controversy, but its highly appropriate for the bridge to be a world first as that article indicates.
  • Agree x 1

#3 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:27

They have been talking about this chord since the 70s and it was always known that the best route would cut through Liverpool road.

Just one man is standing against this and he has just won an appeal to overturn his right to appeal the last judgement.

#4 31A

31A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:42

So has he tried to stop it AGAIN?  The last I heard, his appeal had been overturned and it was at last going ahead, but from that MEN article it sounds as though he hasn't given up yet!  He's already delayed it by several years, i believe.

#5 APOLLO

APOLLO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationNear Uncle Joe's Mintball factory !!

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:47

The link and bridge are fine. Sorry to see the museum link severed, but I believe it is rarely used (as a link).

What bothers me (as an occasional user) is the 2 track bit through Deansgate / Oxford Rd & Piccadilly. This is very busy & congested now. Man Picc (platforms 13 & 14) are chaos in off peak times. Victoria is on the wrong side of town (for me).

Anyway, great to see investment 'up ere !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO, 07 February 2016 - 10:49 .

• Agree x 2

#6 4630

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:18

Edited by 4630, 15 November 2016 - 13:58 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#7 Coach bogie

Coach bogie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:22

The link and bridge are fine. Sorry to see the museum link severed, but I believe it is rarely used (as a link).

What bothers me (as an occasional user) is the 2 track bit through Deansgate / Oxford Rd & Piccadilly. This is very busy & congested now. Man Picc (platforms 13 & 14) are chaos in off peak times. Victoria is on the wrong side of town (for me).

Anyway, great to see investment 'up ere !!

Brit15

I agree it is VERY congested. There will be two new platforms at Piccadilly

http://www.networkra...oad-piccadilly/

and all the freight will not be using it when the new Barton container terminal opens as most will travel via Warrington or Milesplatting/Ashton/Stockport.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful x 3

#8 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 13:20

Not sure it is extra lines just better stations with more capacity and of course less if any freight activity.

#9 Coach bogie

Coach bogie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 13:32

Not sure it is extra lines just better stations with more capacity and of course less if any freight activity.

The two platforms from Oxford road are being widened to four platforms/four tracks. Freight activity will be minimal as Trafford Park Container depot is being closed and redeveloped, once the move to Barton/Port Salford has been completed, and as above, would not use this route for access.One of the considerations for the electrification of Manchester-Warrington. Electrified route to WCML already open from Barton.

http://www.portsalford.co.uk/#intro

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful x 1

#10 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 13:41

Oxford Rd has 5 platforms currently, one will be lost in the redevelopment, the other platforms are being lengthened to take 8 coach trains,

Piccadilly has two through platforms to which two additional platforms will be added on a new section of viaduct.

There is no mention of the viaduct extension going all the way to Oxford Rd, that would increase capacity by much more than 4 trains per hour and you would still get a problem between Oxford Rd and Deansgate Junction. That corridor is already built up, it would be a massive undertaking to fully extend the viaduct.

Port Salford will be visible to me from the back of my house, I am hoping they use sensible lighting!!.

Luckily I am also the right side of the Ship Canal.
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:10

Man Picc (platforms 13 & 14) are chaos in off peak times

If you think it's chaos at off-peak times, God knows what you make of it in the rush hour!

Jim
  • Agree x 2

#12 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:22

Nothing beats that 5:00pm crush when you are trying to get from Piccadilly to Oxford Rd to catch a Liverpool stopper.

I think from April these will actually be extended beyond Oxford Road, I hope so as its freezing stood on Oxford Rd in the winter.

#13 JeffP

JeffP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationScunthorpe. (Someone has to live there!)

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:32

the other platforms are being lengthened to take 8 coach trains,

You have EIGHT COACH TRAINS on that side of the country???????

• Like x 1

#14 PenrithBeacon

PenrithBeacon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationHarrow

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:38

AFAIK the only freight traffic through Oxford Road are the freightliners, which then go through Piccadilly and the Styal loop.

How will the freightliners access the rest of the rail network from the new terminal?

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon, 07 February 2016 - 14:39 .

#15 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:40

Not Many, only some TPE Anglo Scottish services

Edited by woodenhead, 07 February 2016 - 14:41 .

#16 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:43

AFAIK the only freight traffic through Oxford Road are the freightliners, which then go through Piccadilly and the Styal loop.
How will the freightliners access the rest of the rail network from the new terminal?
Regards

New line to the Chat Moss route with a triangular junction allowing services to go East or West (and then anywhere via the WCML).
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#17 APOLLO

APOLLO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationNear Uncle Joe's Mintball factory !!

Posted 07 February 2016 - 15:24

Plan of Port Salford here showing rail links, from Coach Bogie's post above. Scroll down for plan

http://www.portsalfo...nts/#new-page-2

Lots happening up here at last !!.

Brit15

#18 D854_Tiger

D854_Tiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 19:23

Not Many, only some TPE Anglo Scottish services

There are so many changes going on in Manchester, I would assume the entire TPE service will be re-cast and have to be radically altered.

For example, now the Chat Moss route has been electrified to be followed by the route to Leeds how will this impact upon the Warrington Central route.

Then are all the via Guide Bridge TPE services going to become via Victoria.

#19 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 21:27

TPE looks to be getting an IEP variant, it'll have better stock than Cross Country.

#20 peterfgf

peterfgf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:17

Please could we get the terminology right.  This should be known as the Ordsall Curve.  A chord is a straight line between two points on a circle or a curve. The diameter of a circle is a special case of chord which passes through the centre of the circle.  Network Rail's continued usage of chord is simply incorrect and confusing.

Peterfgf.

• Agree x 1

#21 lankyphil

lankyphil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:30

Yep!

Only 4 pacers coupled together though! ;)

• Funny x 5

#22 LMS2968

LMS2968

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationWigan

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:45

Mathematically, a chord is as described, but in long-standing railway terminology it refers to a section of road joining two legs of a junction.

• Agree x 10

#23 JeffP

JeffP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationScunthorpe. (Someone has to live there!)

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:50

I don't suppose for an instant that there's ANY intention to electrify Manchester-Sheffield? After all, it used to have two routes and one was electrified in the 50's...... It's not like the trains aren't packed, either.

• Like x 1

#24 Zomboid

Zomboid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:37

The Hope Valley might be in line for consideration after the MML electrification gets through to the ECML, but I don't think it's imminent.

#25 Suzie

Suzie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:15

Perhaps the Ordsall chord should have been elevated a bit more to retain the museum link and provide flying junctions at both ends. It will be hard to update later.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bridge, design, building