• RMweb Premium

Just found this on the design of the new bridge for the Ordsall Chord. I understand there are mixed feelings on the topic of the Chord it's self, that is not the point of this thread  only the building and design of the chord.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ordsall-chord-feature-groundbreaking-bridge-10851655#ICID=nsm

Thanks

Steve

• RMweb Premium

So has he tried to stop it AGAIN?  The last I heard, his appeal had been overturned and it was at last going ahead, but from that MEN article it sounds as though he hasn't given up yet!  He's already delayed it by several years, i believe.

The link and bridge are fine. Sorry to see the museum link severed, but I believe it is rarely used (as a link).

What bothers me (as an occasional user) is the 2 track bit through Deansgate / Oxford Rd & Piccadilly. This is very busy & congested now. Man Picc (platforms 13 & 14) are chaos in off peak times. Victoria is on the wrong side of town (for me).

Anyway, great to see investment 'up ere !!

Brit15

The link and bridge are fine. Sorry to see the museum link severed, but I believe it is rarely used (as a link).

What bothers me (as an occasional user) is the 2 track bit through Deansgate / Oxford Rd & Piccadilly. This is very busy & congested now. Man Picc (platforms 13 & 14) are chaos in off peak times. Victoria is on the wrong side of town (for me).

Anyway, great to see investment 'up ere !!

Brit15

I agree it is VERY congested. There will be two new platforms at Piccadilly

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/northern-hub/projects/manchester-oxford-road-piccadilly/

and all the freight will not be using it when the new Barton container terminal opens as most will travel via Warrington or Milesplatting/Ashton/Stockport.

Mike Wiltshire

Not sure it is extra lines just better stations with more capacity and of course less if any freight activity.

The two platforms from Oxford road are being widened to four platforms/four tracks. Freight activity will be minimal as Trafford Park Container depot is being closed and redeveloped, once the move to Barton/Port Salford has been completed, and as above, would not use this route for access.One of the considerations for the electrification of Manchester-Warrington. Electrified route to WCML already open from Barton.

http://www.portsalford.co.uk/#intro

Mike Wiltshire

Oxford Rd has 5 platforms currently, one will be lost in the redevelopment, the other platforms are being lengthened to take 8 coach trains,

Piccadilly has two through platforms to which two additional platforms will be added on a new section of viaduct.

There is no mention of the viaduct extension going all the way to Oxford Rd, that would increase capacity by much more than 4 trains per hour and you would still get a problem between Oxford Rd and Deansgate Junction. That corridor is already built up, it would be a massive undertaking to fully extend the viaduct.

Port Salford will be visible to me from the back of my house, I am hoping they use sensible lighting!!.

Luckily I am also the right side of the Ship Canal.

AFAIK the only freight traffic through Oxford Road are the freightliners, which then go through Piccadilly and the Styal loop.

How will the freightliners access the rest of the rail network from the new terminal?

Regards

New line to the Chat Moss route with a triangular junction allowing services to go East or West (and then anywhere via the WCML).

Not Many, only some TPE Anglo Scottish services

There are so many changes going on in Manchester, I would assume the entire TPE service will be re-cast and have to be radically altered.

For example, now the Chat Moss route has been electrified to be followed by the route to Leeds how will this impact upon the Warrington Central route.

Then are all the via Guide Bridge TPE services going to become via Victoria.

Please could we get the terminology right.  This should be known as the Ordsall Curve.  A chord is a straight line between two points on a circle or a curve. The diameter of a circle is a special case of chord which passes through the centre of the circle.  Network Rail's continued usage of chord is simply incorrect and confusing.

Peterfgf.

I don't suppose for an instant that there's ANY intention to electrify Manchester-Sheffield? After all, it used to have two routes and one was electrified in the 50's...... It's not like the trains aren't packed, either.

Archived