Tim4948's Workbench - Building a LMS buffet car

tim4948

• RMweb Premium

The glazing has now been put in, I used tissue paper behind the glazing to get a frosted effect. The coach is now almost complete, I'm just waiting for the gangway connectors to arrive.

attachicon.gifIMG_6459.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0176.JPG

Tim how on earth did you fit your tanks and retain the cross bracing between the trusses?

Damn fine job on this kit by the way. Just part building one for a mate.

TAB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I presume this OP is no longer involved in RMW or something has happened to him/her? I do hope they are still 'with us'. I would find it quite uncomfortable if they had passed away and this thread was still alive so to speak. Good to have a legacy left on here but it would be useful to know what's what.

Alive and well I believe and found elsewhere. Phew. Await a response to a message.

I have almost finished my part build of this kit and have to say it was most enjoyable.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Phil,

Sorry for not responding sooner, haven’t been on here too much recently due to work commitments, glad that you have enjoyed looking through the thread. I’ll locate the model and take a picture to show how I achieved fitting the tanks with the cross bracing, hope it’s not too late to be of assistance to you.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

Sorry for not responding sooner, haven’t been on here too much recently due to work commitments, glad that you have enjoyed looking through the thread. I’ll locate the model and take a picture to show how I achieved fitting the tanks with the cross bracing, hope it’s not too late to be of assistance to you.

Tim

No worries Tim. Job almost done thanks but if you have the time for that pic it would be useful. I just cut the cross trusses an shortened the Comet castingscas they were too big anyway.

All the best and I do admire your work; very inspiring.

Phil

No worries Tim. Job almost done thanks but if you have the time for that pic it would be useful. I just cut the cross trusses an shortened the Comet castingscas they were too big anyway.

All the best and I do admire your work; very inspiring.

Phil

Hi Phil

I have located the coach and I had the same issue with the comet gas tanks being too big and the cross members getting in the way I tackled it a slightly different way which was to build new tanks from scratch out of plastic tubing and then cut them to fit either side of the cross members which then meant that I didn’t have to touch the cross members.

post-8652-0-07648500-1542582377_thumb.jpeg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

I have located the coach and I had the same issue with the comet gas tanks being too big and the cross members getting in the way I tackled it a slightly different way which was to build new tanks from scratch out of plastic tubing and then cut them to fit either side of the cross members which then meant that I didn’t have to touch the cross members.

attachicon.gif30F7662B-700D-4EE5-92B3-161BD51D89C4.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to do that. 

Did I say that I just made a hole in the X Truss and shortened the original castings as well as 'thinning' them so they threaded through the 'hole' then soldered them in place?

That is actually a design fault in the kit and had Geoff B still been alive I would have badgered him to change the instructions or at least add a note to them.

ATB

P