Collaboration between railway modeller and artist

After all the discussions on artists inspired by model railways and vice versa, here is the result of a

collaboration between an artist and a railway modeller:.

24980447025_6d00721541_z.jpgFreight train passing by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

For the TT scale model scene in the foreground, I kitbashed the interlocking tower using a German

prototype kit from Auhagen. It does now hardly resemble the original model. The background picture

was provided by virtual reality artist Anthemios who is well-known for edited in-game screenshots.

This picture is a cutout of a bigger screenshot from a Beta version of the game 'The Division'.

Here is a link to the original picture on the Flickr page of Anthemios: flic.kr/p/DBwn4D

Joern

Edited by jpachl
  • Like 13

• 6 months later...

Here is another piece of collaboration with virtual reality artist Anthemios. The foreground is a heavily rendered photo of a model scene in TT scale (1:120). For the background picture, I used a screenshot Anthemios took from the video game 'Mad Max'.

28588062433_5bc40754e0_z.jpgMad Max on rails by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

The compilation below shows how the picture was created. On the left side is the model scene arranged for taking the photo on the balcony of my apartment. The upper picture on the right shows the photo how it came out of the camera. The lower picture on the right is the final result.

28953391180_1a57e78c94_z.jpgThe making of a picture by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think the combination of photo backscenes and micro layouts has massive potential that has yet to be fully realised. With decent software to produce the backscenes and low-relief buildings, and a generic trackplan it should be relatively straightforward to change location and create loads of atmosphere.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the meantime, I finished another piece. It's again a collaboration with Anthemios. The background picture is a screenshot from the computer game 'Fallout 4'.

In another forum, this photo got a critical comment because of the appearance of the brick wall below the model train. Now, in a remastered version of that picture, I reworked this wall area to make it look more realistic. Also, this is my first picture in which I applied a filter from the new Flickr editor.

Joern

36160821582_7a829da51d_z.jpgLeaving the City I - remastered by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This collaboration is great! My illustrator daughter may collaborate with me on some small dioramas, but ours will possibly be more rural. Good to see artistic backdrops which can often be more flexible in interpretation.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

@Marly51

You are happy to have an illustrator in your family. Today, the biggest problem for collaboration with artists is the copyright issue. In case you have nobody on hand, you need to find somebody willing to grant you right for the use of his/her work.

@Marly51

You are happy to have an illustrator in your family. Today, the biggest problem for collaboration with artists is the copyright issue. In case you have nobody on hand, you need to find somebody willing to grant you right for the use of his/her work.

Yes, I am very aware of copyright issues. My daughter watermarks her digital illustration work, but likes to keep moving forward developing her style. Clients often purchase the copyright for commercial work, but there is always the option where a client pays for a one-of use of an image. I have generally found that people are very generous and happy for an image to be used for non commercial or community projects, so long as the appropriate permission has been obtained and credits are in place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Joern,

This is a fascinating thread, and some intriguinig scenes. Thanks for posting.

While the original was good, I think your improvements to the brickwork in the foreground of one of the photos definitely improved it.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 months later...

In the meantime, another artist, in-game photographer Xanvast (https://www.flickr.com/photos/xanvast/), granted me the right to use his screenshots for my railway pictures. Here is the first outcome, again based on a screenshot from 'Homefront: The Revolution'.

Joern

40586865114_32a1e2740f_z.jpgSwitching at the shipyard by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

• Like 3

• 1 month later...