Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

Reading through the announcement threads, I note a number of good suggestions are made for complementary releases that would represent Oxford continuing to fill in some major gaps left by other manufacturers, for instance, more Grouping and Pre-Grouping company wagons and 1907 RCH opens. 

From a personal perspective, but also bearing in mind the BRM wish list, where these items scored respectably, and thinking of what would complement Oxford's Dean Goods announcement, the choice of RTR GW 4-6-0s, and Hornby's release, finally, of some useable GW coaches, I would put the following into Oxford Rail's suggestions box:

post-25673-0-79048300-1455610154_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-93295000-1455610189_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-17801600-1455610263_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-64648700-1455610291_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-44189000-1455610326_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-90704100-1455610356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 14

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to what they might like Oxford to produce?

My other suggestion is a Brighton Terrier in OO. Very high score in the BRM wish-list poll (and the Hornby one is awfully crude and inaccurate). 

[suggestions don't have to be pre-Grouping or even steam-age (though, obviously, all the best suggestions will be!)]

Well, I’d like someone to produce the three gas turbine locos and the unmodelled AC electrics. (Mouth now washed out with soap.) Probably they’re a bit too “niche” for Oxford.

Perhaps the often-mentioned 1907 RCH open wagon? Certainly in pre-grouping company liveries. Where a pre-grouping goods locomotive exists or is on its way, a brake van for that company would be most welcome. It would be a lot simpler than a coach and such items are very sadly lacking.

Wainwright’s D would be a good companion for Bachy’s C but I have a hankering for Maunsell’s upgrades of SE&C 4-4-0s.

Great Western N32 loco coal / mineral for me please; I believe that 5000 of these were built in the mid thirties so there must be room for a least a couple on every GWR layout.

There have been a lot of nice locos recently produced (and forthcoming) and I would like to see them pulling trains of similar quality.

A smaller "Toad" brake van would not go amiss either, the two big manufacturers seem to think one size fits all.

Pete.

Great Western N32 loco coal / mineral for me please; I believe that 5000 of these were built in the mid thirties so there must be room for a least a couple on every GWR layout.

1830s I presume, or there's no place on my GWR layouts :stinker:.

A decent RCH 21' 6" Over Headstock with 12' Wheelbase chassis that is suitable for use on all sorts of RCH 20t all steel minerals and prewar Private Owner Hoppers as supplied to Electricity Authorities!

Mark Saunders

For GWR, I'd have to go with the Iron Mink. 6000 built, several turned into improvised Gunpowder Vans during WW1 and WW2. Design was also took on by several other companies so also a chance to see a wide variety of liveries come about besides the GWR ones. An added bonus of the GWR modeller would be finally seeing a Iron Mink with the WW2 'Save for Victory' livery on it...!!

LMS, either a new LMS Van or a D1661 Open. Since Hornby and Oxford have answered my prayers on the Cattle Wagon front, LNER would be a Toad E and SR a Banana Van or 5/7/8 Plank wagon.

As to pre-grouping theme, either a LNWR Dia 88. Goods Van, LSWR 1410 Van or my favourite pre-grouping wagon, the Caledonian Dia.67 Outside Framed Van :) The desire for the Caledonian Van stems from the fact I can see two preserved CR Vans on the Severn Valley which is my local preserved line. Sadly though this won't be the case soon as 304543 and 302080 are soon to be relocated to the Ferryhill Railway Heritage Centre in Aberdeen. Mind I've loads of photos of them so I can't complain...!!

9897302776_8405c30fd5_z.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Obviously various diagrams of GWR Toad Brake Van

I'd agree with Neal on this one.

A Diagram AA3 would be a good choice with a decent AA19 or AA20 as well.

As a bit of a longshot an AA13/15.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps there might be some way of co-ordinating this thread with Oxford's involvement or a means of presenting them with a realistic workable list of prototypes?

I'll take the bait.

Class 86 to complement the Mk3 stock.

It seems a bit odd that Oxford's first railway carriage model is one that doesn't fit with the existing or planned locos in the range, at least the wagons produced so far and planned could be described as complementary to the Adams and Dean locos.  It would suggest that they know something we don't.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst attempting to keep my own partisanship at bay, I wholeheartedly concur with Edwardian's plea for a better Terrier and Neal Ball's suggestion of some more GWR Toads other than the "big 'uns".and one of Gareth's suggestions, the [edit: LSWR] Dia.1410 van. 

Unfortunately, many of the wagon suggestions I am inclined towards would duplicate kits I have already purchased and am yet to build! :nono: One idea that does seem plausible would be tank wagons - a surprising number of late Victorian ones were still knocking around in the early 1960s.

Partisan Hat back on, LSWR 56' stock would fit the bill, plus (just) the Ironclads. A 330 Class saddle tank or an Adams 395 would have me reaching for the cheque book,

Also, what about some six-wheeled coaching stock (but which..........)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Whilst attempting to keep my own partisanship at bay, I wholeheartedly concur with Edwardian's plea for a better Terrier and Neal Ball's suggestion of some more GWR Toads other than the "big 'uns".and one of Gareth's suggestions, the Dia.1410 van. 

Unfortunately, many of the wagon suggestions I am inclined towards would duplicate kits I have already purchased and am yet to build! :nono: One idea that does seem plausible would be tank wagons - a surprising number of late Victorian ones were still knocking around in the early 1960s.

Partisan Hat back on, LSWR 56' stock would fit the bill, plus (just) the Ironclads. A 330 Class saddle tank or an Adams 395 would have me reaching for the cheque book,

Also, what about some six-wheeled coaching stock (but which..........)

John

GWR Toads are long overdue now. The Bachmann/Mainline mould has done a good job but now it's in need of replacing. Sticking on the subject of GWR wagons, Ballast wagons and Chaired Sleepers would make a good choice too.

The LSWR D.1410 or their sisters the D.1409 would be good choices for pre-grouping SR.

I agree John, a new tank wagon would be very much welcomed on the market. I wasn't impressed with Dapol's attempt at the doing rectangular tanks and so far I've stuck with kit built versions which I think look more the part. I only replace kitbuilt stock with RTR if I find the quality of the RTR versions better than what I currently have in kitbuilt.

Edited by Garethp8873

Some IOW bogie coaches in 00, for the existing Terrier and 02 to pull!  Preferably the ex-LBSC/SECR versions which lasted until 1966. (The new Hornby LSWR coaches are not absolutely right, but will be near enough for most, for the Terrier and 02 to pull on pre-WW2 layouts).

For GWR, I'd have to go with the Iron Mink. 6000 built, several turned into improvised Gunpowder Vans during WW1 and WW2. Design was also took on by several other companies so also a chance to see a wide variety of liveries come about besides the GWR ones. An added bonus of the GWR modeller would be finally seeing a Iron Mink with the WW2 'Save for Victory' livery on it...!!

LMS, either a new LMS Van or a D1661 Open. Since Hornby and Oxford have answered my prayers on the Cattle Wagon front, LNER would be a Toad E and SR a Banana Van or 5/7/8 Plank wagon.

As to pre-grouping theme, either a LNWR Dia 88. Goods Van, LSWR 1410 Van or my favourite pre-grouping wagon, the Caledonian Dia.67 Outside Framed Van :) The desire for the Caledonian Van stems from the fact I can see two preserved CR Vans on the Severn Valley which is my local preserved line. Sadly though this won't be the case soon as 304543 and 302080 are soon to be relocated to the Ferryhill Railway Heritage Centre in Aberdeen. Mind I've loads of photos of them so I can't complain...!!

9897302776_8405c30fd5_z.jpg

Cambrian have had the LSWR Diagram 1410 van on their next to do list for 2 years with no progress. Time for another player to step in and do this essential Southern/LSWR wagon.

• RMweb Premium

Cambrian have had the LSWR Diagram 1410 van on their next to do list for 2 years with no progress. Time for another player to step in and do this essential Southern/LSWR wagon.

Doesn't David Geen do a (white metal) kit?

GRA Models do a body in resin to this diagram too.

Edit:

Yes he does (S/005), or did, his website is (as the kids say) well out of date.

Edited by Tim Dubya