Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Given the background in this para. I think you have reached a reasonable prognosis. Mucho discontent if any Hawksworth type is produced, as not suitable for the pre-WWII Big Four period interest. And there's a Collett type that does have a standardised underframe length.

(I reel in shock at the revelation that Swindon failed to standardise at least some proportion of its non-gangwayed stock design's underframe lengths. Was there some heretical faction in Carriage and Wagon at Swindon, deviating from "and everything shall be standardised and shall look the same, forever and ever, Amen"?)

The different underframe lengths were, paradoxically, the direct result of standardisation, that of compartment sizes.  If you think of the compartments as modular, and the coaches as different combinations of 1st class, 3rd class, and brake van compartment, all of which are of different lengths, this explains the disparity on overall underframe lengths.  No heresy, the gospel of 'and everything shall be standardised etc' was followed closely by the Faithful of C & W...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not the best thread for this, but the best within the existing Oxford Rail threads.

Oxford Rail had an open day at Frizinghall Models & Railways today, under the strap line "Want to see what Oxford have planned for the next few months?". I was wondering if Oxford Rail had interesting new items on display, like Mk III coaches or the N7?

We're any RM webbers there? If so do let us know if anything new was on display, preferably with any photos, please!

John Storey

Not the best thread for this, but the best within the existing Oxford Rail threads.

Oxford Rail had an open day at Frizinghall Models & Railways today, under the strap line "Want to see what Oxford have planned for the next few months?". I was wondering if Oxford Rail had interesting new items on display, like Mk III coaches or the N7?

We're any RM webbers there? If so do let us know if anything new was on display, preferably with any photos, please!

John Storey

I actually am curious as to know what Oxford meant when they sent that email aswell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They were at Falkirk Scotmodel last week. They had some railway stuff there but I couldn’t see any Mk3s . There was a queue waiting to speak to guy so I couldn’t find out more. I’ve given up on them and managed to acquire ScotRail Lima Mk3s off eBay. Good enough .

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Edwardian has noted 'joined up thinking' elsewhere in this thread.

I would very much like to see Oxford produce the GE section Quint Arts for the N7 (and J67/68/69 if ever made) as well as, possibly, the GE section Quad Arts

Both types were in the High Polling segment of The Wishlist Poll with the Quints being well within The Top 100.

The extremely close articulated coupling would be a challenge but - if Oxford could solve the problem - the 'technology' could then well be used on other stock that they might consider. 

A 10-coach Quint Art train would be only marginally longer than a Midland Pullman set. 

Brian

(Note that the GE Quads were designed to run as a '4-set' whereas the GN section Quads were designed as an '8-set', the two halves being different.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the Intercity Mk3s now arrived with Oxford, I predict/hope they will announce a class 86 at the London Toy fair on the 23rd. My reasoning is that they don't yet have any diesel/electric loco in their range. They have also stated they will not just produce any random stock but have a long term plan. Currently they have nothing to haul their Mk3 coaches. Also, I think it was DJM who said two manufacturers were developing a class 86. So far no manufacturer has announced one. The 86 is one of the few modern electric locos not to have been announced yet with the 87, 90 and 92 all planned by others. Heljan haven't released any 86s since their first batch was badly received a number of years ago. Lastly, the OxfordRail photo for the forthcoming Virgin Mk3s show more of a class 86 than Mk3. I think a class 86 would suit Oxford well with many liveries to work through.

Looking forward to the Oxford announcement. My logic suggests they'll go for something from the constituents of the LMS: We've had a Southern Constituent (LSWR 0415 - 488 is a stunning model, and I could've bought two for the price of the Hornby one!), a GWR Constituent (Dean Goods - Technically the original GWR was a constituent of the post-1923 version!), and the (Just about pre-grouping) GER E4. I'd go for something Midland, to complement existing models, or something North Western as it's rather unrepresented.

Although a new member, I am aware of some members campaigns for North Eastern locos, and I think it would be nice to have a J21 or another 0-6-0 to complement the shunter (J72) and Heavy Freight Loco (Q6... Sort of. Not pre-grouping enough for me!) announced and available.

Personally, I would rather like an SECR D (To complete the set for that company... we have a mid-range passenger tank, a small tank and an 0-6-0 goods loco. Now we need the express loco!), and until Sunday I would've said LBSCR H1... but now I'll say LBSCR C2 (And C2x, but both please, not just the C2x!) 0-6-0, as (with the exception of a new Terrier and some coaches) that would bring us close to having two pre-grouping companies with enough RTR support to put together a reasonably accurate layout. The fact they're neighbours would be helpful, I feel.

Interesting to note in the new poll on here that Pre-Grouping is currently polling higher than the (supposedly!) more popular post-privatisation period. Bachmann is catering quite nicely for both at the moment...

Of course, if Oxford did an open-cab Double Fairlie or a VOR 2-6-2T (Both GWR 1923 builds and the originals) then my money would be gone within minutes... :mail:

All the best,

Whilst I always do look forward to the companies announcing their product ranges, I'm sorry to say but I have somewhat lost some of my faith in Oxford Rail after the LNER Cattle wagon and GWR 4w/6w Toad Brake Van fiasco. For a company that aims to represent accuracy in their diecast products, I just wish the same could be said for their railway modelling range...

Whilst I will look at their range when it is announced at the London Toy Fair, I doubt much more of their range will be purchased by me until I see improvements in their accuracy and research...

Edited by Garethp8873

I have only looked at two of their products, a 4-4-2T which I lightly modified for a friend and installed a decoder, and some of the LNER 12T general merchandise opens for my own use. Had they been introduced when Bachmann launched their Blue Riband range and Hornby started with Chinese production, I don't feel these two Oxford models would have suffered by comparison. So there's hope I would suggest.

I am right on board with the idea of a class 86 to match the mk3s and something LMS in steam traction as fairly obvious next steps. Were they to have an ex Caledonian loco coming, that might 'catch a wave' alongside Hornby's J36. Wait and see.

A smaller locomotive that people have been wanting for a while seems to be the common theme with Oxford releases.  It'll probably be something LMS in origin to complete their current set of 1 loco from each grouping company.

Without wishing to be disrespectful, I hope it's nothing Midland in origin as I'm enjoying Bachmann's range of ex-Midland locomotives which are well researched and I'm not convinced that Oxford Rail can live up to that on current form without locomotion intervention sadly.

I want them to succeed and I'm looking forward to their updated Dean Goods but they need to improve their research in future.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

My guesses are a class 86 to go with their Mk3s,

and a LMS pre-group loco - my money's on either a Caley 812 0-6-0 or a North London 0-6-0T, examples of which survive in preservation.

They may announce a LMS 60' Stanier composite using some parts from their Carflat or even a 62' BCK.

With their N7 they might announce GER 6-wheelers - they lasted well into the LNER era and examples survive for measuring-up.

Hornby's already announced a LNER short-wheelbase brake van so instead they may tool up an all-new LMS 20T long wheelbase brake van.

• RMweb Gold

My guesses are a class 86 to go with their Mk3s,

and a LMS pre-group loco - my money's on either a Caley 812 0-6-0 or a North London 0-6-0T, examples of which survive in preservation.

They may announce a LMS 60' Stanier composite using some parts from their Carflat or even a 62' BCK.

With their N7 they might announce GER 6-wheelers - they lasted well into the LNER era and examples survive for measuring-up.

Hornby's already announced a LNER short-wheelbase brake van so instead they may tool up an all-new LMS 20T long wheelbase brake van.

I’m not nearly so optimistic. Given the events of 2017, and the cut backs at Hornby, I doubt Oxfords, now 49% owning parent company will invest in a competing line of products.

Past performance has been 1 Loco, 1-2 wagons each year, so far it’s been 1 SR, 1 GWR, 1 LNER so on that form my guess is an LMS tank.. something like a Stanier/Fowler 2-6-2 or a Tilbury tank.

However i’m of opinion we won’t see any announcement at all as that wouldn’t to see seem to fit with “aligning interests” of the M.D. of Oxford with Hornby, it would to me seem to be promoting diversification to continue to grow a range of railway models that competes with the 49% shareholding parent, who’s in difficulty with its own Railway range.

If I were a shareholder i’d be expecting the MD to be consolidating the ranges together as merged interests, not continuing pet projects on the side of what’s supposed to be his new core and primary interests. The money is supposed to be the same pot now, and Hornby’s reach is much greater than Oxfords, so spending on Railways here would seem to be counter productive,

As an example, think Steve Jobs and his return to Apple, when Apple was on the rocks,. To align interests, Apple took a stake in “Next computers”.. what happened Next to “Next”.. nothing at all, and History shows that interests aligned was absolutely the correct decision for Apple and Jobs.

I think the only reason the Mk3’s are in Oxford boxes, is it’s too soon to be able to change it, but I suspect those boxes will become quite rare.

Edited by adb968008