Driving wheels availability

Richard Hall

Having sold my N gauge layout I'm thinking of taking the plunge into 3mm.  The one thing that is putting me off at the moment is wheels.  Before I send off a cheque to the 3mm Society, can anyone tell me what the current position is with the availability of finescale loco driving wheels?  It would be nice to know what sizes are currently available and how good they are.  I was thinking of starting with a rewheeled Triang Jinty chassis and a cast metal body kit, just to get something up and running fairly quickly - still trying to decide whether to go for 13.5 or 14.2 gauge, I can see the arguments for both. Track building is no problem, I built an EM layout a long time ago and I don't think my soldering skills have got any worse since then.  I just like the idea of a scale where you can't buy perfect museum quality models off the shelf for less than it would cost to make them yourself. I'm awkward like that.

I'm afraid the 3smr page seems a bit out of date (it mentions Sharmans).

For finescale the 3mm society is the main source, there is a pretty good range of finescale wheels available from them, certainly for 14.2mm, I'm not sure about 13.5. I should think they would send you a list before you decide to pay to join.

They are also doing square-ended fit wheels in Intermediate standard.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

No problem with the availability of 3mm Society finescale wheels. Not only is there a comprehensive range of sizes, but there are variations for each size (eg number of spokes). The actual sizes for driving wheels are 9mm, 10.5mm, 12mm, 13.5mm, 15mm, 15.75mm, 16.5mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 20mm. There are comprehensive stocks of these.

Shouldered axles for use with the wheels are available for 14.2mm and 12mm gauges; the wheels take a 2mm diameter axle and the broader bit of the axle is 1/8th inch. For other gauges folk normally use a 2mm diameter axle and set the gauge using BtB gauges.

One member now offers a service of squaring the holes in the wheels to take square-ended axles, provided as part of the service, to obtain automatic self quartering. There is a moderate charge.

Wagon wheels are listed as 9.25mm (I've a vague idea this might change to 9mm, it was discussed but not sure about the outcome) spoked or 4 hole disc. Coach wheels are 10.5mm disc or Mansell. Bogie/tender wheels are 9mm, 9.25mm, 10mm, 10.5mm, 11mm, 12mm, 12.5mm spoked or

11mm and 12mm disc.

Bulleid and Webb drivers have been talked about but as far as I'm aware not yet available.

Hope that helps

Nigel

Edited by NCB

Thanks very much for that, it all sounds very promising. I'm not in a position to do any modelling right now, but I might buy a loco kit and a few bits so I can sit and look at them. I see there is a whitemetal J72 available, designed to fit the Triang Jinty chassis which makes me wonder if the dimensions have been messed around with.  Could be a good starting point even so.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for that, it all sounds very promising. I'm not in a position to do any modelling right now, but I might buy a loco kit and a few bits so I can sit and look at them. I see there is a whitemetal J72 available, designed to fit the Triang Jinty chassis which makes me wonder if the dimensions have been messed around with.  Could be a good starting point even so.

Richard

The 3mm Society are working on an easy-to-assemble LMS 4F 0-6-0 which might be a good place to start. I believe some pre-production bits were on display at the last AGM. Brynkits chasses via 3SMR are relatively easy to put together and some can be used with existing whitemetal kits, eg the GWR 57XX pannier; only problem is Brynkits stuff isn't always available.

Cheers

Nigel

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there a webpage for it?

Did a quick enquiry and at the moment there doesn't seem to be any publicity for it; it is a very new product, although has been a long time in development. I'll shove something in these threads if something becomes available.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

One member now offers a service of squaring the holes in the wheels to take square-ended axles, provided as part of the service, to obtain automatic self quartering. There is a moderate charge.

Hi Nigel,

The Society price list doesn't show any square-end axles for 14.2mm gauge. Does the member that you mention provide them as part of his service?

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

The Society price list doesn't show any square-end axles for 14.2mm gauge. Does the member that you mention provide them as part of his service?

Regards

David

Hi David

The current arrangement is that you send him your wheels less crankpin nut and washer (to stop them getting lost) plus the round axles, and you'll get in return the wheels with the hole in them "squared", plus square-ended axles.

Cheers

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

The current arrangement is that you send him your wheels less crankpin nut and washer (to stop them getting lost) plus the round axles, and you'll get in return the wheels with the hole in them "squared", plus square-ended axles.

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. With that news I may well be rejoining the Society.

David