Toms LNER Workbench - Comet V2 Chassis

grob1234

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for the interest. Currently, the J69 is in the paint shop. The buffer beam red takes a few coats. Once that's done, I'll number it, and then give it a more matt finish, before weathering. I need to raise the ride height by a few mm, and unfortunately the wheel balance weights supplied on the etch don't fit, so I'll need to figure some sort of replacement. Other than that it's nearly done.

You're right about the variations in the class. In the end, I copied a picture of the prototype I wanted to model in the correct era, but unfortunately, there aren't a huge number of reference pics available, like there are for the more popular classes A3/A4s etc. The kit I had by Iain Rice did have a good amount of information supplied, but really a picture is best. I suppose in 7mm you can't skimp on the detail. They are really characterful locomotives though, and great fun to model, despite the challenges.

In other news, the c12 is nearing completion, just awaiting a couple of Ross Pop safety valves, and it'll go in for priming.

The next job will be the W1 conversion, and I have made a start on the Finecast tender as well.

Hopefully my order from 247 developments will be with me soon, and I can crack on with finalising the chassis of both engines.

More pictures when I return from my work trip.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

As promised here is a brief review of the 247 developments 6thou spacing washers to convert Romford axles from normal OO gauge spacing to DOGA-fine 14.8mm spacing.

They come on a fret of 8, cost £2 a pop, and look like this:

IMG_9044.jpg

Simply add one to each end of the axle:

IMG_9045.jpg

The fit is absolutely perfect.Then add the wheels over the top in the usual manner. The thickness (or lack of) of the washer means there is still plenty for the fixing nut to grab on to.

The result is perfect B2B's for DOGA-fine:

IMG_9049.jpg

A really handy little item, which I will be using on all my loco builds. In addition, Gary at 247 was very pleasant to deal with and offered good value prompt postage to HK. 

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

Just a little update on my models.

The lovely J69 is now numbered 7384  (inspired by Granthams J69) and unashamedly copied from Rev Cawstons book, this locomotive may well have run up the line to Bawtry to help out from time to time, so it fits in nicely with my intended layout. Here she is ready for weathering and crew:

IMG_9058.jpg

Another Grantham based loco is the C12. Primed:

IMG_9056.jpg

And now in gloss black. Gloss helps the decals sit down much better, and once you apply the final clear coat, you stand a better chance of getting that 'painted on' look.

IMG_9066.jpg

Also in works at the moment is the substantial SE Finecast W1 tender. Reasonably easy to build so far. Being all white metal, it weighs a tonne! I'll have to scratch build a rear buffer beam as the kit supplied one is a strange fit, and protrudes out from the back of the tender. My own research shows this is not the case. Anyhow, I'm replacing the cast buffers with sprung ones, so its no great hardship. I will be fitting all wheel pick up as well. Does anyone know if the Peco OO-9 washers are suitable for loco bogie/tender axles as well a wagon axles?

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

Finally, I thought you might all be really really (!) interested to see what I use for painting my models:

IMG_9061.jpg

Its a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution 2 in 1. I have had it approximately 8 years now and it get a pretty rough ride. Its called a 2 in 1 because its supplied with a 0.2mm nozzle assembly as well as a 0.4mm version. In addition it has small and large paint cups so its really versatile. Its a fantastic airbrush as not only can you control paint flow, you can also control air flow, enabling incredibly fine control. I like to use it for nearly every situation as the finish is really superior in most cases when compared to brush painting. In the time I've had it, I've only had to replace a few rubber o ring seals. However, I will be treating myself to a couple of replacement needles and nozzles as they do start to suffer over time. A great bit of kit, and something I would highly recommend if you do a lot of painting.

TTFN

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Another Grantham based loco is the C12. Primed:

IMG_9056.jpg

And now in gloss black. Gloss helps the decals sit down much better, and once you apply the final clear coat, you stand a better chance of getting that 'painted on' look.

IMG_9066.jpg

Looks really good Tom, As you know I've just done the craftsman version and all the ref material I looked at had the sliding vent on the cab roof behind the whistle. 

Dave, you are of course correct!

I have looked at countless pictures of C12's, I have the Isinglass drawing, I have W. Yeadons book on the subject, so why the bl**dy hell do I manage to miss such a basic detail!? Drives me insane!

I think I'll just cut out a little bit of thin plasticard and stick it on. Shouldn't take a moment. 

One day I might make something right first time... maybe that's a bit boring though?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, you are of course correct!

I have looked at countless pictures of C12's, I have the Isinglass drawing, I have W. Yeadons book on the subject, so why the bl**dy hell do I manage to miss such a basic detail!? Drives me insane!

I think I'll just cut out a little bit of thin plasticard and stick it on. Shouldn't take a moment. 

That will work fine, I find that when a kit contains enough parts for different variations that's when I miss things, I spend so long making sure the right chimney is with the correct dome etc that I miss something really obvious!

One day I might make something right first time... maybe that's a bit boring though?!

Make something right first time. . . . .what is this concept? is it actually achievable.........not in this house  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Well ladies and gents, I'll be signing out for a month. Small matter of my own wedding to attend, followed by a honeymoon. Sadly no modelling, but I will be returning with avengance in June, with the W1 conversion, completed C12 and a few more projects currently in the planning stage.

Until then, happy modelling and see you in June.

Tom

• Like 3

Well ladies and gents, I'll be signing out for a month. Small matter of my own wedding to attend, followed by a honeymoon. Sadly no modelling, but I will be returning with avengance in June, with the W1 conversion, completed C12 and a few more projects currently in the planning stage.

Until then, happy modelling and see you in June.

Tom

Congratulations

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Folks, 

I'm back!

The workbench won't be fired up for a few more days, but slowly getting things sorted, and hopefully some modelling will happen towards the end of next week.

In the mean time check this small American Club Layout out: (is it a BLT? what is a BLT (not a sandwich))

Edited by grob1234

• 2 weeks later...

Genuinely didn't know that Dave, learn something new every day!

Well, I'm sure you will be delighted to know that the HK workbench has been fired up after over 6 weeks with no activity. I'm now a married man to boot, and very happy I am too.

Managed to clear some of my work load between flights and this afternoon I made a rather slow start back into modelling. Took me a few minutes to get back into things, but it seems to return fairly quickly.

The first job was to solder up the brakes and rods on the W1 tender, and add pads so that I can add tender pick ups. Incidentally, does anyone know how to remove the coating off these wheels... they're Romford tender disc wheels, and the coating restricts the electrical pick up. For some reason, I decided to test the wheels for electrical conductivity with my multi meter before I fitted them - a rare moment of modelling foresight on my behalf!! I could of course give each wheel a gentle file to bare metal but wondered if there was an easier way?

IMG_9369.jpg

Another little job I have been meaning to do is to improve a Hornby J52 I picked up off Ebay. When I ran it for the first time, it was dreadful; jumping about all over the place. When I took it apart I found that the rear axle is sprung (bizarrely, which gives tonnes of slop), which seemed to explain why it was jumping about all over the place. I thought that by removing the springs, that the running would improve.

First, I unscrewed the retaining plate, and removed the 2 springs, which sit in the two holes you can just about see. They just fall out really so no need to worry about damaging them.

IMG_9364.jpg

I cleaned up the recess where the axle sits, and super glued a small piece of plasticard strip to bring the wheels level. If you think of the thickness of the springs when compressed, then this is the amount of packing required under the axle for the loco to sit level.

I then added a couple of small plasticard strips to the retaining plate, noticing that there was a reasonable gap between axle and retaining plate, again with the aim of reducing slop.

IMG_9366.jpg

Then, I oiled it, re attached the retaining plate, ditched the nasty big Hornby couplings, (I'll replace those with small gauge wire goal post style) and reattached the body. I also got rid of the rubber traction tyres, which had perished anyway.

IMG_9367.jpg

Its now ready for weathering and it runs about a million times better than before. Essentially a ten minute fix. I think this particular chassis is used by Hornby a lot, so if you have a loco with a similar problem, it might be worth taking a look to see whats occurring.

Tomorrow, I'll paint the bogies for the C12, and fit the pick ups to the front bogie, and complete the detail painting too. Hopefully I will also wire up the pick ups for the W1 tender, if I'm able to resolve the problem with the wheels.

Happily, I have managed to find a source of 2mm insulating washers off Ebay, which I have been looking for for a while now. I'll use them on the 2mm axles supplied by romfords for bogie wheels.

I've also been looking into DCC command stations, and am very taken by the ESU ECoS 50200. I love the 'visual' aspect with regards to the track plan. Does anyone have any experience of this controller?

See you again tomorrow.

• Like 3

Hello,

Back from a work trip so no modelling today, but do have time for a few pictures of some completed work.

The LRM J69 is now complete. My version of 7384 as featured on pg47 of 'Steam at Grantham'. I wanted to achieve the look of a well used but not filthy yard loco. I weathered it using a random mix of colours through the airbrush, consisting mainly of Tamiya Nato Black and Brown. More brown on the wheels and brakes, and sootier on top. I'm pretty pleased with how the weathering has come out; its my first go at weathering a loco, and it seems to have made it seem 'bigger' than when it was pristine. I added wheel balance weights from card crescents cut with a circle cutter, super glued in place, then painted matt black. Crew are awaiting paint, and real coal will be added when I have some.

J8.jpg

j9.jpg

j10.jpg

j11.jpg

j12.jpg

j13.jpg

j14.jpg

In other news, work on the W1 continues, and also the C12 nears completion too. More during the coming week I hope, work as always permitting.

Thanks for the interest.

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

Well its been a very long time since I updated this. So here are the pictures of the C12 which rolled off the production line today.

It needs some weathering, and a crew and some coal. Once its weathered I'll fit some glazing in the cab windows. 

The weathering will be fairly light, as most pictures of the type at the time I'm modelling show pretty clean locomotives. Though a Grantham based loco, I see no reason why it might not have pottered up the line and be spotted at Bawtry from time to time. perhaps with a Parly? Now this is virtually done, I can concentrate on the W1, which is in 2 halves waiting to be joined together, and then I can strip it and paint it. Thanks for looking in, I hope to have a few more updates in the next couple of weeks.

bJbGgw2.jpg

pqgw7su.jpg

HQX95OT.jpg

KMN5HwR.jpg

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody. 

Happy New Year.

2016 was a great modelling year, but I feel 2017 will be even better. First of all, this little chap arrived for Christmas:

nTBOX8K.jpg

I really enjoyed my last LRM build, so I'm very much looking forward to this one. We also have on order a DJH C1 large boiler atlantic and an A1/3. As well as that, there is this build waiting in the wings, to be started mid February. Yes its an RDEB full rake Jubilee set. I have all the components, except the material for the chassis. Should be an epic!

Soo7upy.jpg

Loads of stuff:

sK6gu13.jpg

The W1 is progressing at a snail's pace. The biggest job was getting a completely custom body to fit a kit chassis. Prior to this I made up a little box consisting of the side panels for the cartazzi truck. It is a simple soldered construction using parts supplied with the SEF chassis kit. That was araldited in place under the new resin cab. The rear bracket is a simple piece of brass with a couple of holes in it, and bent to allow the rear body to sit at the correct height:

OjcObPI.jpg

iVjZMx2.jpg

Getting the front to sit right required another shaped piece of brass to fit in the smokebox section of the Hornby body. I just made a paper template and shaped some brass strip to match. I soldered the brass onto the white metal casting supplied, araldited this assembly into the correct place within the smokebox and hey presto, removable body for the W1! Here you can see the araldite holding the body at the front. It's very secure.

VU3OGai.jpg

Nice and level, correct ride height, and correct forward aft setting:

cWWHtje.jpg

Next was to begin on the motion. This lot needs to be secured together, so that it all works nicely and doesn't ruin the sweet running chassis:

D5oxpUV.jpg

Here is the current state of play:

zwIh7NF.jpg

Not having done this before means it is time consuming, but I'm making progress. Currently awaiting a few parts, including small fibre washers, 12 and 14BA nuts and bolts and other items too. Hoping to have a lot more modelling time after early February, well that's the plan anyway!

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 9

Ditto comment made there re valve gear.

The Piston "gland" looks like its comes out to far from the Cylinder , possibly the same problem TW has with his A4 chassis?, where the rod is hitting on the forward motion.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the Coronation kit, I was speaking to Andrew (Wizard) at Warley about the the other GN coach kits in the range but ought to clear the bench before adding yet more. 

I also have the J3 as well as a J6 and a C1 in the "to do" pile but I've done enough locomotives for a while so they can wait. 

Thank you for the likes and comments.

Mick, I'll have to see how I go with the motion, sadly work on it has halted until I place my next parts order. Unfortunately, living abroad means I have to kind of wait until I have a reasonable amount of stuff to order to make the postage worth it. However, with 2 new locos hopefully being made for me as we speak, I'll have good cause to make a sensible order from Markits.

Dave, I too am in danger of getting too large a 'to do' pile. I thought I could be disciplined, turns out that's not the case! I saw Wizard do a tourist coach rake. That'd be ideal for me to have a rake of those, for Saturday football specials. They look rather smart in cream and green. I'll definitely have to wait until the Jubilee set is complete though! 

• Like 2