Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

Just a bit worried about taken the lens out and not getting it back correctly. Any tips?

Alan

It is very easy, have you looked at the online manual on Darkly about deep cleaning?

Using the jog Z axis function also helps but not vital but does make putting back the air assist nozzle easier.

Martin

Just done my first deep clean without any issues. Beam and power much better. When cleaning the lens should I also clean the mirrors? If so should  I use the cleaning wipes?

Where can I get replacement wipes and tissues?

Alan

I cleaned mine initially because there was a rectangular mark on mine. I wrapped some lens wipe around the bit of tapered tube you cut off when fitting the air assist. This enables you to poke around between the mirrors without risk of damage.

I would expect any good camera shop or opticians would sell lens wipes, failing that eBay.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Allan, thanka for the heads-up. I got my email this evening. I might wait a bit to see what people think of it, as I'll need to make a couple of changes to my Emblaser 1 to get it working. I need to get some cutting done before I come over to the UK.

Announcing new software for the Emblaser:

LightBurn
de109da5-f463-47f1-a397-c3acf70d6239.png
We are proud to announce the next generation of software for the entire range of Emblaser machines. LightBurn is a simple to use, yet powerful multi-platform program for controlling your Emblaser 1 & 2.
  • Full Emblaser 1 & 2 support.
  • Fully Mac & Windows compatible.
  • Simple to use and learn.
  • Lightning fast tool-path generation.
  • Advanced photo engraving features.
  • Built in drawing tools.
  • Image to Vector tracing.
  • Support for dxf, svg, ai, pdf, jpg, bmp, png, gif, tga.
  • Dedicated development team.
  72b97f98-bef0-4b87-9890-1934f6530514.jpg
We have also created a new set of lessons (and videos) to help you get up to speed with LightBurn.

Check them out in the Help Centre

Follow the appropriate link below to start using LightBurn
Emblaser 1 Emblaser 2   color-facebook-48.png color-link-48.png color-forwardtofriend-48.png color-vimeo-48.png
Copyright © 2018 Darkly Labs, All rights reserved.

Bad news from me... I purchased Lightburn, installed it and copied the new firmware, as recommended. After that it seemed as Windows 7 lost the drivers and refused to install them new. Lightburn didn't connect to the emblaser. There is already a thread at the Darkly Labs forum, but none of the actions recommended seemed to solve my problem.  I switched back to the old firmware and Laserweb, which works at least. It seems to be a rare issue, with only me and another user affected. I hope the helpful people at Darkly Labs and Lightburn find a solution soon...

Michael

Edited by teetrix

• RMweb Premium

Bad news from me... I purchased Lightburn, installed it and copied the new firmware, as recommended. After that it seemed as Windows 7 lost the drivers and refused to install them new. Lightburn didn't connect to the emblaser. There is already a thread at the Darkly Labs forum, but none of the actions recommended seemed to solve my problem.  I switched back to the old firmware and Laserweb, which works at least. It seems to be a rare issue, with only me and another user affected. I hope the helpful people at Darkly Labs and Lightburn find a solution soon...

Michael

I have found myself some what time short but have paid and downloaded Lightburn and hopefully will get it installed this weekend W7 + W10

I really need to get a grip on things

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable

Thanks for the supportive likes ;-) It seems to be a driver issue with Windows 7. Darkly labs and Lightburn are still working on it. Here are two projects which were lasered before. The shed's wall is painted now:

39524441925_89b5a79fe6_c.jpg

Seitenwand Schuppen by Michael Carl, on Flickr

Fellow modeller Alexander Krauth started a "mixed media" project, consisting of 3D printed "frame work" and lasercut double walls. This is how it looks after assembling and painting:

39709713404_72ab8c945d_c.jpg

OOw 201 lackiert by Michael Carl, on Flickr

Michael

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking for some advice re 2D CAD software to use with the Emblaser 1.

I downloaded DraftSight having seen that some of you are using it. I find the user interface to be very unintuitive, being semi-command-line. But I read some of the tutorials and watched some of the training videos and managed to create a few simple drawings. But other simple tasks like selecting a bunch of lines and making them all the same length and equally spaced completely escape me.

Added to that, when I tried to use it this morning it just kept giving me a message saying I had to revalidate. After trawling the web and finding lots of weird and wonderful solutions to this problem and realising that it seems to be a common and recurring issue with DraftSight I decided maybe it's not the best tool for the job.

I don't want to spend hours learning how to use it and creating projects, only to be locked out of it again.

I think it's time to look for an easier alternative.

Any suggestions?

I see several people are using Inkscape, but a full 3D package like that seems overkill for using with the Emblaser.

Can Vectric's Cut2D Laser cope with large designs? Anyone using it as their only CAD software?

Vectric themselves seem to suggest one should create a design in another CAD tool and then import it for cutting...

Cheers,

Peter

TurboCAD is a nice and affordable CAD software, but I've found ViaCAD is more intuitive. You can download trial versions of both and test which suits your needs better:

http://www.turbocad.co.uk/?rs2=AQ_UK_PP_GO_SE_TC_BRAND&rs4=AQ_UK_PP_GO_SE_TC_BRAND&keyword=turbocad&filter=&gclid=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8HOjNfB2QIVxJkbCh1IEQAPEAAYASAAEgJsaPD_BwE

http://www.punchcad.com/trial.aspx

Maybe the free DoubleCAD software is worth a look too:

http://download.cnet.com/DoubleCAD-XT/3000-18496_4-10907980.html

Michael

Looking for some advice re 2D CAD software to use with the Emblaser 1.

I downloaded DraftSight having seen that some of you are using it. I find the user interface to be very unintuitive, being semi-command-line. But I read some of the tutorials and watched some of the training videos and managed to create a few simple drawings. But other simple tasks like selecting a bunch of lines and making them all the same length and equally spaced completely escape me.

Added to that, when I tried to use it this morning it just kept giving me a message saying I had to revalidate. After trawling the web and finding lots of weird and wonderful solutions to this problem and realising that it seems to be a common and recurring issue with DraftSight I decided maybe it's not the best tool for the job.

I don't want to spend hours learning how to use it and creating projects, only to be locked out of it again.

I think it's time to look for an easier alternative.

Any suggestions?

I see several people are using Inkscape, but a full 3D package like that seems overkill for using with the Emblaser.

Can Vectric's Cut2D Laser cope with large designs? Anyone using it as their only CAD software?

Vectric themselves seem to suggest one should create a design in another CAD tool and then import it for cutting...

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

The drawing facilities in Cut2D laser are not too bad but nowhere near as comprehensive as what you get in a full blown CAD program like Draftsight.  I have Cut2D Desktop for my CNC milling machine and that has recently been upgraded to V9 with improved drafting facilities,  but still not quite up to full blown CAD programs.   It's possible that Vectric might update Cut2D Laser as well with these facilities.

It's a pity you have had problems with Draftsight.  I've been using it for a few years and I think I remember having the occasional problem with re-registration but getting round it by re-installing.  I just refreshed my memory by Googling your problems and it looks as though they have changed something - probably falling foul of some internet protection setups.   But it could be worth keeping trying.

AS for the Draftsight interface,  it is a copy of the AutoCAD LT interface,  and that interface started in pre-Windows days.    When AutoDesk had to move to the Windows interface it kept a lot of its original interface to maintain similar working conditions for its users.    If you actually get more experience with that interface you would find it faster to use than the normal Windows interface of dialogue boxes.

As for your problem with drawing a bunch of lines,  one quick way in Draftsight would be to start with one line and use the ARRAY finction to draw however many lines in parallel to the first line at a specified distance apart.   I can think of two or three other ways of doing it. :-)

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

I think you might be confused a little. Inkscape is illustration software (like Adobe Illustrator, but free), and not a 3D drawing app. Although I find it great for what I need to do, it isn't CAD software either, so if you are used to using CAD programs then I would agree with Simon - I liked using TurboCAD. Certainly a 3D drawing app (like Blender, also free and with a huge learning curve) would be overkill for anything I can think of doing with my Emblaser 1.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jim (flubrush), thanks for the tips.

DraftSight is working again, although I'm not sure which one of the various fixes I tried cured the problem. None of them appeared to work immediately, but after trying several and then rebooting DraftSight fired up normally. It does seem very powerful and should be able to do everything I'll ever need so I'll persevere for now.

Cheers,

Peter

Been skimming through the thread, so may have missed this in the 40 odd pages so far:

What is the minimum 'wall' thickness that the Emblasers can produce e.g. when cutting window bars, railings etc. Is there a difference between the Emblaser 1 and Emblaser 2 in this respect? Some of the examples pasted in the thread look really fine and to my mind ought to answer for 2mm buildings. Was thinking smooth, quality thin card or 'rowmark' type material would be best?

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill

I think, for me, it depends on the structural integrity of the material I'm using.

Using the Emblaser 1, I've recently been given a bundle of oiled board for example, and I've been able to produce the 4mm scale test railings using it. The material is stiff, it keeps its shape (doesn't curl), and importantly doesn't easily fall/pull apart. I can also paint it using normal spray undercoat. Mike Trice sent me my samples, and apparently bought them from Hobbycraft.

The verticals are drawn 0.5mm wide. I didn't adjust for the width of the laser beam, so they probably work out at around 0.3-0.4mm on the finished cut - unfortunately I don't have it anymore to check..

post-14192-0-29723900-1516687681.jpg
Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill

I think, for me, it depends on the structural integrity of the material I'm using.

Using the Emblaser 1, I've recently been given a bundle of oiled board for example, and I've been able to produce the 4mm scale test railings using it. The material is stiff, it keeps its shape (doesn't curl), and importantly doesn't easily fall/pull apart. I can also paint it using normal spray undercoat. Mike Trice sent me my samples, and apparently bought them from Hobbycraft.

The verticals are drawn 0.5mm wide. I didn't adjust for the width of the laser beam, so they probably work out at around 0.3-0.4mm on the finished cut - unfortunately I don't have it anymore to check..

oy youve nicked my quid  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

nice work sir

Nick