RSH with central headcode...

Derekstuart

Can anyone help me track down an elusive- perhaps non existent 37, please?

I have a 37 body with the RSH cantrail grills. It has a full centre headcode and the later (refurbished?) nose grills.

It was destined to be painted into large logo blue as a /4, but now I've learned that all the /4's were Vulcans. 37 687 matches.

My question is did any with the above specification receive LL blue? I'm not so keen on the grey.

If not, my options are to either paint it blue anyway (rule 1 application) or to replace the nose grills with Shawplan/EE and backdate to standard BR blue.

Any info would be appreciated please as this is not a class that I am particularly familiar with.

Thanks

Thanks 'Chard

I already discovered all the /4's were Vulcan built, so had discounted them.

What I am looking for is any of the RSH's that were refurbished whilst still in blue (either large loco or standard). I suspect the refurbishment coincided with repaint into sectorisation so I won't find an example anyway. I could backdate it to standard blue with the use of Shawplan etches, but as good as they are they will always look a little different to the original moulded ones.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks chaps.

I was of course already aware of the differences between RSH and Vulcan but I didn't realise how few RSH's there were and how limited their livery scope would be in their later years.

I will have a look at Shawplan nose etches with a view to back dating. Otherwise I will paint it in red stripe or large logo grey.

Again, thanks for the info.

Can anyone help me track down an elusive- perhaps non existent 37, please?

I have a 37 body with the RSH cantrail grills. It has a full centre headcode and the later (refurbished?) nose grills.

It was destined to be painted into large logo blue as a /4, but now I've learned that all the /4's were Vulcans. 37 687 matches.

My question is did any with the above specification receive LL blue? I'm not so keen on the grey.

If not, my options are to either paint it blue anyway (rule 1 application) or to replace the nose grills with Shawplan/EE and backdate to standard BR blue.

Any info would be appreciated please as this is not a class that I am particularly familiar with.

Thanks

Hi Derek

One possible ? option is 37 183 it was RSH built with extra cantrail supports, and carried L/L Blue, however it retained the original glass panel center headcode boxes and buffer valances, so to be accurate, you'd need to change the nose ends with those from Bachmann's 37 251 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36985-Bachmann-class-370-37-251/

and change the nose side grilles for the original (non re-furb type)

Plenty photos of 37 183 on flickr

HTH

Ken

37188 and 37191 also carried Large Logo blue. Neither of these were refurbished or renumbered, so still had the original nose grilles until withdrawal.

37188 was named "Jimmy Shand" and 37191 was named for a year in 1985 - "International Youth Year 1985".

37188 is currently stored at Barrow Hill waiting space in HNRC's workshop for overhaul and return to the mainline for Colas.

Preserved 37190 has carried Large Logo in Preservation but with the number 37314 from its days as a dedicated Motherwell 'metals' loco. There was no physical difference between 37314 and a normal 37/0. It was numbered 37314 to stop it being "pinched" from Motherwell as it had been fitted with phosphorous brake blocks and its vacuum brake isolated - Usually removing the fuse and vacuum pipe from the buffer beam...

Cheers chaps.

There is also 330. I think there are probably quite a few RSH that had LL, but all have un-refurbished grills.

I will have a look at Shawplan's side grills next weekend at Leamington and see how they match (If I do one then I'll have to do them all)...

Repeat after me: Though shall leave 37's alone. Though shall leave 37's alone...

I've never got the hang of pasting pictures into RMWeb, so this attachment will have to suffice.

It shows all RSH build, centre headcode class 37's with their renumbering.

Also shows refurbished or not refurbished and therefore the grill arrangements.

As you rightly thought, none were refurbished and released from works in LL blue.

post-9860-0-54337300-1456487202_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The welded rooves is on the number 2 end and seems to be a production modification. 37001 to 37095 have rivetted rooves and the rest welded ones. Apart from 37093 which had a rivetted one but with additional horizonal rivetted sections.

Regards

Vin

No. That would be too easy!!

Some split box machines were welded and some were riveted.

All centre head code ones were welded.

D6700 to D6768 - Vulcan Foundry - Riveted roof

D6769 to D6795 - Darlington - Riveted roof

Also worth noting D6700 to D6705 were Vulcan foundry built but had the "RSH" style grills.

Bachmann's model represent these differences quite well.

Archived