• RMweb Premium

I have started this topic as they're seemed to be a gap on Rmweb. Other classes such as the 66 are well represented with photo feeds of they're workings for modellers but no one as far as I could find has a topic featuring the class 68 and class 88 so I decided to start one

I must admit that I haven't seen one myself yet, plenty of photos, so it was also a chance for me to see and share photos of the class.

I haven't got any of my own photos yet so can't post any but a good friend of mine has some and once I've got them off of him I will post them.

Please feel free to post any pictures of the classes you have.

Here as a start are two pictures taken by a friend of a friend (used with permission) of the first painted samples of Dapol new class 68 in unbranded two tone grey livery

post-17016-0-15207800-1455982789_thumb.jpeg

post-17016-0-75073100-1455982797_thumb.jpeg

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Here's a selection of photos sent to me by a friend to post

post-17016-0-34324400-1455982975_thumb.jpeg

post-17016-0-24646500-1455982984_thumb.jpeg

68001 @ York

post-17016-0-82740000-1455982992_thumb.jpeg

68012 @ Oxford

post-17016-0-60216000-1455983000_thumb.jpeg

68008 @ Banbury

post-17016-0-88169500-1455983008_thumb.jpeg

68006 @ Crewe

post-17016-0-79627700-1455983017.jpeg

68012 @ mountsorrel

post-17016-0-78251200-1455983025_thumb.jpeg

68016 @ Leith

post-17016-0-81663000-1455989022_thumb.jpeg

68006 @ Crewe

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 12

Interesting loco. The buffers seem to be in extensions. Has the effect of setting the ETH gear back a bit.

Had to be rescued by one from Lowestoft when 47828 croaked. Strange as the driver sits in the middle with a wide console in front. No window to open to look back.

As an asset. They should be sweated 24 hours a day. Earning their crust.

I have some detail shots. Will post if anyone's interested.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting loco. The buffers seem to be in extensions. Has the effect of setting the ETH gear back a bit.

Had to be rescued by one from Lowestoft when 47828 croaked. Strange as the driver sits in the middle with a wide console in front. No window to open to look back.

As an asset. They should be sweated 24 hours a day. Earning their crust.

I have some detail shots. Will post if anyone's interested.

That would be great. Post away.

I have started this topic as they're seemed to be a gap on Rmweb. Other classes such as the 66 are well represented with photo feeds of they're workings for modellers but no one as far as I could find has a topic featuring the class 68 and class 88 so I decided to start one

I must admit that I haven't seen one myself yet, plenty of photos, so it was also a chance for me to see and share photos of the class.

I haven't got any of my own photos yet so can't post any but a good friend of mine has some and once I've got them off of him I will post them.

Please feel free to post any pictures of the classes you have.

Here as a start are two pictures taken by a friend of a friend (used with permission) of the first painted samples of Dapol new class 68 in unbranded two tone grey livery

Looks spectacular...!

Nice pictures, although I would not call 68s handsome... Do they have a nickname? In hawkingetippyd's post of 68012 at Mountsorrel, what is that thing that looks like a milk float in the background?

Thanks,

Bill

The "thing" that looks like a milkfloat is a shunter. Not sure whether they are diesel or battery powered though. They are of a four wheel design, and IIRC there are two of them at Mountsorrel.

The "thing" that looks like a milkfloat is a shunter. Not sure whether they are diesel or battery powered though. They are of a four wheel design, and IIRC there are two of them at Mountsorrel.

Diesel. I believe they are remotely controlled by the person on the loading hopper. I'm trying to remember who the manufacturer is- something like 'Autoloc'?

• RMweb Premium

Just had email from merseyside shop to say that the oo models of this class hopefully will be available June/July this year with the n gauge models hopefully following January to March next year.

• RMweb Premium

The U.K. Loco certainly nicer looking machine especially in its ukliveries.

Hopefully the 88 will look as good when it gets here. If anyone has any photos of the 88 from Vossloh plant that they can post please feel free to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Great collection of pictures of these beasts.

The picture of 'Fearless' in post 2 is actually in Edinburgh Waverley working what looks like one of the peak service Fife Circulars (I work in Leith, and the locals can be a bit touchy about confusing the two places, despite the port having been a part of city for nearly a century!).

I haven't heard any of the locals call them anything other than ugly (usually with something Anglo-saxon added in).

Milk floats at Mountsorrel - I also, as stated in post 13, seem to remember two of them being there in 2011 just before I moved from the East Midlands to Edinburgh.

Hope that's of interest.

Again, great photos.

Regards,

Alex.

To my mind they are better looking in the flesh than pictures. If you stand below track level and look up at them going past they do remind this old guy of a D800 Warship. They also make good guttural noises when being pushed a bit as when they double headed the Daventry Scotland train last year for a few weeks. Being lucky ? Enough to live next to the WCML I can see the Mountsorrel most days if I want to, only need to see Dottie 007 and the latest pair at the moment ! Worth tracking down