Hattons Dapol OO 121 Bubblecars

brittannia

• RMweb Gold

Minor pedant, but of the route learner, the pictures I see of it online all have 3 windscreen wipers (1 on each window), from around the time it lost its head code boxes onwards, c79-82.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/975023

Hi,

Unfortunately the tooling from Dapol doesn't allow for the additional windscreen wipers on the middle window otherwise we'd definitely have it where it should be.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I wasn't aware of this new 121 until l spotted the thread earlier.  I nearly bought a Hornby/lima example recently but so glad l held back now and the sample looks superb.  My loco depot themed layout can now have a route learning vehicle after all.

Let's hope it is a spring launch and not delayed!

Regards,

Paul.

I wasn't aware of this new 121 until l spotted the thread earlier.  I nearly bought a Hornby/lima example recently but so glad l held back now and the sample looks superb.  My loco depot themed layout can now have a route learning vehicle after all.

Let's hope it is a spring launch and not delayed!

Regards,

Paul.

The  121 are well behind their supply dates ,Hattons though said they expected delivery early 2017

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hattons now showing painted examples of  Exclusive editions 121 Arriva, Railtrack .and Chiltern Blue, [in latest newsletter]

I've signed up for their newsletter just now. Don't know if I'll get the recent newsletter. Can someone share the images? Hatton's Dave maybe?

• RMweb Gold

post-28458-0-71431900-1493133838_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

As some of you have spotted, we included a few of the Class 121 colour samples in today's newsletter. Here's the rest  :). We've identified a small number of amendments needed to a number of the vehicles however overall we're very happy with the quality of printing and detail on what is a highly detailed model.

As ever, click the images for larger versions. Full details and ordering options are available at https://www.hattons.co.uk/hattonsbubble

Cheers,

Dave

4D-009-HAT01 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 120 in 'GWR 150' Chocolate & Cream livery

post-28458-0-59364000-1493133831_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT02 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 121032 in Arriva Trains Wales livery

post-28458-0-61740600-1493133832_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT03 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 960011 in Railtrack blue & green livery

post-28458-0-60023600-1493133833_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT04 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 121020 in Chiltern Railways blue livery

post-28458-0-72872200-1493133834_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT05 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 55033 in Revised Network South East livery

post-28458-0-63402500-1493133835_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT06 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 960010 in Railtrack "coaching stock" maroon

post-28458-0-72746600-1493133836_thumb.jpg

4D-009-HAT07 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 55022 in Original Network South East livery

post-28458-0-69083000-1493133837_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

attachicon.gif4D-009-HAT07_detail.jpg

Hi all,

As some of you have spotted, we included a few of the Class 121 colour samples in today's newsletter. Here's the rest  :). We've identified a small number of amendments needed to a number of the vehicles however overall we're very happy with the quality of printing and detail on what is a highly detailed model.

As ever, click the images for larger versions. Full details and ordering options are available at https://www.hattons.co.uk/hattonsbubble

Cheers,

Dave

4D-009-HAT02 - Class 121 single car DMU 'Bubblecar' 121032 in Arriva Trains Wales livery

attachicon.gif4D-009-HAT02.jpg

The arriva Wales bubblecar needs an extra window in the brake area. I pointed this out when the project was first aired and was assured that it would appear, but it's missing from this sample.

• RMweb Gold

Note also that the exhaust pipes appear to be grey (bare metal?) in the 1988 shot and at least one is in the 1990 shot.

Were they ever anything other than bare metal? I think they just weathered to black.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Think I might hang onto mine for a little longer, at least until I see them in the flesh, mine are not perfect I know.....

Pandora has DCC controlled LED inspection lights below buffer beams.

post-6389-0-67649900-1493154818_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-80859800-1493154877_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-67566900-1493154894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 9

Of course, that brings up the problem with the newer ones, at the Guards end, just before the cab there should be two windows and not one on the Railtrack ones and the Chiltern Raiwlays one. The Railtracks exhaust stacks merge into one, around half way up the bodyside, then there's the missing cameras and spotlights, but otherwise it will make for a good starting point

NL

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased I ordered the original NSE 55022. Would have preferred it to have the earlier lighter NSE blue, but happy either way.

Darker blue in 1990: https://flic.kr/p/bpCXqC

Lighter blue in 1988: https://flic.kr/p/wSEzWx

I would have preferred the lighter blue too. I never realised the upswept stripes existed with the darker blue.

I will be ordering one too.

Edited by BR Blue

I'm really liking these.... the NSE versions look excellent and I'm going to find it very hard to resist!! I think these will make a superb model.

Minor stuff but didn't the GWR150 121 have a silver grey... almost white roof? And maybe it's the lighting but the colours look a little washed out. Other than the heavy looking windscreen wipers these look the business.... A pity there isn't a bogof offer :)

• RMweb Gold

I'm really liking these.... the NSE versions look excellent and I'm going to find it very hard to resist!! I think these will make a superb model.

Minor stuff but didn't the GWR150 121 have a silver grey... almost white roof? And maybe it's the lighting but the colours look a little washed out. Other than the heavy looking windscreen wipers these look the business.... A pity there isn't a bogof offer :)

Yes, and the artwork showed it that colour as well.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, thanks for the feedback so far. Some minor corrections will be made to a number of the models including the resizing of the Chiltern logo.

I can also confirm that the roof on the GWR example will be the silver grey as per the original artwork too.

As soon as these amendments have taken place we'll show further examples here.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We received the decorated sample for 4D-015-HAT01 this morning and, after a quick once over, we're pleased to share it with you.

Our limited edition Class 122 represents TDB975023, one of several Class 122s that became Route Learning units in the early/mid 1970s, with our chosen model being arguably the most well travelled, spending time working around the Western and Eastern regions before it ended up in the North West in the early 1990s. Over time, the unit gained a few depot embellishments including white tyres, buffer rims and "Thunderbird 1" naming. 975023 itself survives on in BR blue at the East Lancashire Railway but has reverted back to full passenger carrying duties as W55001.

We're impressed by the level of detail Dapol have managed to include, especially around the underframes and cab interior. We're happy with all of the colours with the exception of the yellow ends which are slightly lighter than they should be. however this will be corrected on the production versions to the more orange shade it should be.

As for the Class 121s, we haven't had a date for when decorated samples will be with us but based on the above, we're really keen to see them. The forthcoming liveries for these are available to view here.

Let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Dave

attachicon.gif4D-015-HAT01_quarter (1).jpg

attachicon.gif4D-015-HAT01_quarter2 (1).jpg

attachicon.gif4D-015-HAT01_detail2 (1).jpg

attachicon.gif4D-015-HAT01_cab.jpg

Is it just me, or is that shade of blue a bit too light, just like that on the Dapol Class 22?

Otherwise it does look nice.