Hattons Dapol OO 121 Bubblecars

brittannia

Hi all, thanks for the feedback so far. Some minor corrections will be made to a number of the models including the resizing of the Chiltern logo.

I can also confirm that the roof on the GWR example will be the silver grey as per the original artwork too.

As soon as these amendments have taken place we'll show further examples here.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave.  Any chance you would consider doing the lighter blue on the original NSE one, 55022? As with Kernow's NSE 4-TC, I was just hoping Dapol had applied the wrong shade of blue to the pre-production sample (although it's correct for 55022's later years)! 

20264056271_af719f7845_c.jpgPD_0450 by Mark Sampson, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm really liking these.... the NSE versions look excellent and I'm going to find it very hard to resist!! I think these will make a superb model.

Minor stuff but didn't the GWR150 121 have a silver grey... almost white roof? And maybe it's the lighting but the colours look a little washed out. Other than the heavy looking windscreen wipers these look the business.... A pity there isn't a bogof offer :)

You can't have bogof.  It's a single unit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or is that shade of blue a bit too light, just like that on the Dapol Class 22?

Otherwise it does look nice.

It might be the way it was lit for photography (there - I can be a generous soul sometimes).  As colour can be so misleading on the 'net I'd prefer to see something in the flesh, or take known provenance advice on it from someone who has seen it in the flesh).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a shame the Railtrack version has all the small test markings on it, presumably something to do with gauge clearance testing? The real thing had 2 large spotlights on each end mounted below the solebar and a CCTV style camera mounted on the front above the headlight. Looking at pictures it didn't appear to have the markings and no camera/spotlights at any time, but it did have it the other way round (ie no markings but camera and lights present) and indeed had none of it at all, which would be my preferred condition of the model. Don't really fancy removing all those markings, there's hundreds!

post-8166-0-17224800-1509538314.jpg

post-8166-0-76186100-1509538682.jpg

MJM Photography https://flic.kr/p/gaGPTX

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rich - Ive found this picture here that shows it has the markings and spotlight combination? : https://www.flickr.com/photos/60854097@N06/6432484263/in/photolist-aNqat6-Ww8Cgo-d2RgvQ-WHyjhL-fAKxMe-eTyS1Q-h3QVzn-ftz64r-nUtxXv-okp5VS-Grsybp-R83WTw-Te76F4-Ad5uvh-5DN8Uq-9ttRfN-WEDP1w-cGy6Wh-ZNJiBj-qZQL3a-dQa5FT-dQfG3h-Xub6xi-VNcSEk-dRTAUe-5kKvuK-HPgxoH-fEx5cC-HQbnyA-TwF1aW-cGyf79-TyF5TE-SUYKjK-eYTDQJ-oipcyt-26jvzK-26oWRN-cGy8NC-5uMkYM-BUzHEB-cGy99m-bpQ7WS-7bfChm-TY3rg4-e6p3Lb-dQa5Ee-dQa5GZ-9RiRyd-puNoRo-XyLT9E

Most likely its just a basic tooling that will as you say need some improvements, im eyeing up this one too, as I saw 960011 numerous times when it was with railtrack, and then become the unbranded "Pandora". the exhausts would need modifying, and the cameras and spotlgihts adding also, and another windrescreen wiper for the centre cab windows also. But it looks miles ahead of Limas old model which will be a nice model once its been worked on

NL

• 2 weeks later...

Will be making a comparison with my ex Hornby version fitted with working lights etc.

post-6389-0-59401800-1512115562_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-06819600-1512116372_thumb.jpg

Also have ex Hornby Arriva version to compare with too with locked out doors modelled.post-6389-0-80418100-1512116007_thumb.jpg

My very elderly Lima model of the Midline version has now been re-motored so a new lease of life

post-6389-0-69948900-1512116316_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Will be making a comparison with my ex Hornby version fitted with working lights etc.

attachicon.gifRAILTRACK 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRAILTRACK 3.jpg

Also have ex Hornby Arriva version to compare with too with locked out doors modelled.attachicon.gifARRIVA 1.jpg

My very elderly Lima model of the Midline version has now been re-motored so a new lease of life

attachicon.gifMIDLINE 2.jpg

Glad to see that your Arriva model has the correct Windows unlike the Hattons model.

I received the 2 NSE Hattons 121s today. Very nice but a few issues.
The revised livery is in light blue which I think some were. The Thames route logo has the wrong font "Thames" word. The NSE flashes have the correct light grey blocks, this is corrected from the released livery plans.
The original livery is a darker blue!! This is wrong for first application but I understand from post 51 by BR(S) it was later painted the darker blue. 
I expect more experienced DMU fans might have more pictures of these to comment further.
Photo below, was taken as one tank was missing off original version.

post-1373-0-15401300-1512402767_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1

A couple of pictures of my original NSE one, straight out of the box.  I've tested it on DC and running is smooth at all speeds.  At top speed it doesn't fly along, but it's plenty for a humble 121.  Lights in the passenger area and cab, plus directional head and tail lights.  Bit of light bleed through the yellow with the head lights, but won't be difficult to cut that down.

post-17625-0-03263800-1512421984_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-90548500-1512421995_thumb.jpg

Dark blue definitely OK for original NSE livery:

https://flic.kr/p/bpCXqC

Edit: my pictures make the colours look a bit washed out, but they aren't.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 3

As to speed, humble or not it should be able to manage a scale 70mph on level track; this was speed that the prototypes were set to run at, in common with the majority of 1st generation dmus.

It's a good top speed and has improved further with a bit of running-in.  Absolutely no complaints from me about the top speed.

• RMweb Gold

Actually, for my purposes and I suspect most of us who do not have the space to realistically run trains at speed, smooth, reliable, slow running is much more important; my trains do about 30mph at their fastest.  But, having put up with RTR which for many years was capable of over 200mph scale and uncontrollable below 30, I applaud a realistic top speed.  

In the days when I used to build kits with Romford motors, wheels and gears, I used to consider 40:1 gear ratio suitable for most purposes, and 60:1 for shunting engines.  Of course, the higher the ratio, the more care you needed to take in meshing and mounting.  Higher gear ratios not only curbed ridiculously high top speeds to something more acceptable, but made control response more smooth, and gave a nice feeling of weight and momentum to the controller.  

I sort of wish RTR manufacturers would state the final drive gear ratios of their models, but the information would not be much use without knowing the speed in rpm of the motor at a given setting, and modern motors tend to run at higher speeds than traditional open frames like XO4s or Romford Terriers and Bulldogs, in order to develop useful amounts of power while taking less space inside the model; this was why some of our old models had cabs full of motor magnets!  Modern RTR running is pretty good as a rule, and I have few complaints.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received my Hatton's exclusive Arriva Trains Wales liveried 121 this morning. Stunning model and can't wait to put it on the track. Excellent packaging, full instruction leaflets and a set of transfers to create your own destination blinds. Not sure the ATW one went to Carluke though!. Equally nice touch is that one of the destinations is Hatton!

Hi,

Received my Railtrack Green / Blue one yesterday, what a lovely little model, just contemplating 3D printing the additional lights and cameras to on the ends!

One thing that did make me chuckle, as well as others in my office, was the Omnicom Engineering and Omnicom Surveyer 3D Logos on the windows. We have very close ties to Omnicom (in fact I've tested a lot of their software!), and use the modern equivalent of their Surveyer 3D software in our day to day jobs! Now I have the excuse to run it anywhere!

Simon

Those concerned about the quality control of the Railtrack version from Hattons (none with my model) I have posted pictures of the cab etc on the 121 / 122 thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65775-Dapol-class-121-and-122-in-oo-gauge/page-36&do=findComment&comment=2948968

this model and a Class 68 have gone some way to dispelling all the traumas of the Class 73's a while back!