Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Shame the 319 isn't in OO!

414 really isn't my era/location.

This looks interesting

31-029                  Class 166 in FGW green livery

Probably the only thing I may buy.

Sad to see only 1 new Class 150. Interesting to see passengers are being added to some trains.

An NSE 47 loco is tempting to replace my Lima 50...

• RMweb Gold

A Clas 319 in N, that is rather bizarre.  I would have thought a 455 would have made more NSE sense.

NSE sense, probably. Economic sense, less so - after all in future years they can produce various Thameslink liveries, Connex livery, Southern livery, London Midland livery, Northern Electrics livery and probably some others I've forgotten, and sell them to people modelling areas from Brighton in the south to Blackpool (eventually) in the north. Try that with a 455.

Only one item of interest to me (below) so looks like it will be a cheap year!

Class 66 No. 66065 in EWS livery with DB Schenker branding

Another year of "consolidation" but hopefully supply and delivery can be sorted out going forwards.. an otherwise disappointing set of announcements for current day modellers (I don't consider the NSE years as current).

Interesting that Kader are giving Bachmann UK extra resources to deal with the backlog. Let's hope that starts to pay dividends soon.

To be honest, there's not much in these announcements for me, but hopefully others will be pleased. Another year to save up for a rake of maroon Portholes! Having just forked out on the Hornby Colletts, perhaps I should be grateful.

• RMweb Gold

My wallet is thankful that there isn't anything too tempting from the Farish list, as there is still quite a bit from last years announcement I'm looking to purchase.

Is the set  370-130 Express Mail  the one featuring 47522 Doncaster Enterprise in LNER green I wonder, as mentioned in the blog from Nuremberg?

Always the same.

The list is full of steam releases, the diesel modellers complain.

The list is full of diesel releases, the steam modellers complain.

Can't we just be happy that we're getting new releases that signify a company is thinking ahead?

It's 30 years of NSE so they've picked a good theme.  I'm sure next year all you well served steam modellers will get yet more models to buy, for once it's the turn of us that model the 1980s/1990s period to be happy.

Always the same.

The list is full of steam releases, the diesel modellers complain.

The list is full of diesel releases, the steam modellers complain.

The financial times did call us a fussy old market the other day in one of their articles on Hornby's woes. Cannot think why they say that personally. Bachmann tend to announce new items in drips these days, so maybe we will see another item at the collectors fair and again at the start of the last 1/4 of the year.

This announcement sees no new diesel nor steam (in 00 at least), nor any new coaches, nor any wagons. Just a 1/3rd rail electric, some passengers and a conflat load.

• RMweb Gold

It beggers belief that with plenty of Crimson and Cream Porthole coaches still on the shelf in my local model shops (i.e. indicating that demand has been satisfied) Bachmann would announce more C&C Porthole coaches, but STILL NO BR Maroon ones.  Doh!

• RMweb Premium

Typical for so long I have said, if there is a r-t-r 319 I'd model Bedford, I get going on my new project and what do farish do to me... I'm still over the moon.

It beggers belief that with plenty of Crimson and Cream Porthole coaches still on the shelf in my local model shops (i.e. indicating that demand has been satisfied) Bachmann would announce more C&C Porthole coaches, but STILL NO BR Maroon ones.  Doh!

I wouldn't be surprised if maroon coaches did appear, but to really put the knife in they'll be weathered!

• RMweb Premium

A Clas 319 in N, that is rather bizarre.  I would have thought a 455 would have made more NSE sense.

Yes but 455s are rather restricted in their spheres of operation- basically the south central and south western suburban operations in London - and have rather a lot of detail differences between each subclass

By contrast the 319s appeared on:-

• Serices to Brighton, Sevenoaks (via Swanley) and Guildford (via Sutton & Effingham Junc) as well as various other south London suburban operations which ran from Victoria.
  • MML services to Luton & Bedford
  • AND now in the northwest of England between Liverpool & Manchester.

Liveries wise with the 319s you have got:-

• NSE
  • Connex (Yellow)
  • Thameslink (Grey)
  • Thameslink (Blue and Yellow)
  • First Capital Connect
  • DfT plain white with blue doors
  • Northern Rail

While the 455s are restricted to:-

• NSE
  • Connex
  • SWT (version 1 - IIRC all those units have detail differences from the as built Southern fleet requiring tooling mods)
  • SWT (suburban red - IIRC all those units have detail differences from the as built Southern fleet requiring tooling mods)
  • Southern (Tooling mods required due to the removal of the front end gangways)

Typical for so long I have said, if there is a r-t-r 319 I'd model Bedford, I get going on my new project and what do farish do to me... I'm still over the moon.

Would personally have preferred a 377 but I'll take a 319 in the meantime :)  Wonder which of the various Thameslink liveries they'll do though?

I'm presuming that this year is lean because we saw a lot of this year's announcements last year "early" because of the anniversary.

The 319 in N is a very pleasant surprise. The lack of the 00 one I'd say would be Bachmann being cautious at this stage as there is an existing competing product from Bratchell. If Bratchell sit on their thumbs I ca see an 00 one following in rapid order once the CAD has progressed on the N one. For now Bachmann dodge acquisitions of duplication. The 319 does strike me as a gateway product to further MK3 based EMUs in the future.

Archived