Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

An interesting programme, with the half-expected (414) alongside the unexpected (319). The NSE theme seems rather smart.

Including passengers and wagon loads is a cute idea, though it would be helpful if they were easily removable/customisable: getting into coaches without breaking anything is a tense exercise for me.

But yet another year has passed and the class 158 still hasn't even left the drawing office?? Good grief!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Yes but 455s are rather restricted in their spheres of operation- basically the south central and south western suburban operations in London - and have rather a lot of detail differences between each subclass

By contrast the 319s appeared on:-

• Serices to Brighton, Sevenoaks (via Swanley) and Guildford (via Suttin & Effingham Junc) as well as various other south London suburban operations which ran from Victoria.
  • MML services to Luton & Bedford
  • AND now in the northwest of England between Liverpool & Manchester.

Liveries wise with the 319s you have got:-

• NSE
  • Connex (Yellow)
  • Thameslink (Grey)
  • Thameslink (Blue and Yellow)
  • First Capital Connect
  • DfT plain white with blue doors
  • Northern Rail

And you can add current use of 319s on London Midland services out of Euston to Northampton and on the St Albans Abbey branch. 319216 is already in LM livery, the other 6 allocated to LM will follow. Not just Liverpool to Manchester in the North West either, Liverpool to Wigan and Preston is now 319-worked too.

While the 455s are restricted to:-

• NSE
  • Connex
  • SWT (version 1 - IIRC all those units have detail differences from the as built Southern fleet requiring tooling mods)
  • SWT (suburban red - IIRC all those units have detail differences from the as built Southern fleet requiring tooling mods)
  • Southern (Tooling mods required due to the removal of the front end gangways)

Er, you've missed out BR B/G from that list... The 455's go back to the Blue/Grey days remember... You also get the variant with NSE branding as well. But you're right, the 319 makes much more sense as it covers so many more bases than almost any other MK3 derived unit, especially with the 321 being potentially offered elsewhere.

The other big issue with the 455's is covering the 455/7 and their ex-508 TSOs. You're better approaching that if you already have PEP derived stock tooled up.

319s are also doable in Govia Southern green, NSE "white", plus many one-off/re-patched/promo schemes....it does make sense.

Probably the clincher is that in it's modern Northern guise it fits well with the other WCML equipment on offer these days as well...

Am i the only one who would of bought the 00 scale 319? Especially if it was in northern rail colours...

Like a few have already said, bit disappointing that the 158 and 90 are still at such an early stage...

But i would of also bought the arriva class 150 if they hadnt made it dcc sound!

So that wittles my list down to a northern belle 57 and an ews / db branded 66

I'm particularly pleased about the regional railways stock - I managed to pick up the limited edition MK2s but at least this will fill a gap in the market. I like the seated passengers idea too.

Personally, I would be interested in the NSE 101, just with weathering and sound it's going to be really expensive. Equally I'm not interested in sound, i'll just have to see if a de-sounded version appears second hand. The NSE 47 might also be of interest to me. 

Overall though, I'm happy that the MK2s have moved on but the 158 is still in the drawing room which really does defy belief. The Class 90 I didn't really expect to move on much however much I want it to. 

Received the news from a Third rail expert, he said The 2HAP is probably a hybrid of the EPB and the 205 Thumper.

The Driving Trailer coach of the Thumper plus  half of the 2EPB.

Will  Bachmann borrow  the Thumper tooling from Kernow?

The 2HAP in green will do for me, as will more weathered wagons and those with loads.

I do question the wisdom of weathering the Portholes. The three first class vehicles in

their range were for prestige trains, and even the LMR kept those clean.

...The other big issue with the 455's is covering the 455/7 and their ex-508 TSOs. You're better approaching that if you already have PEP derived stock tooled up.

Another excellent reason for tackling the PEP-derived stock. A 313? Yes, please!

Er... Is it too soon to be wishlisting for next year...? :)

Psul

Received the news from a Third rail expert, he said The 2HAP is probably a hybrid of the EPB and the 205 Thumper.

The Driving Trailer coach of the Thumper plus  half of the 2EPB.

Will  Bachmann borrow  the Thumper tooling from Kernow?

I doubt that would be too difficult to negotiate given the close association between them and can very well believe Bachmann are not going to do an exact same second piece of tooling.

• RMweb Premium

But about 4 years for the more useful maroon livery!

I know a lot of people are waiting for maroon-liveried coaches (Portholes, Thompsons, Colletts - you name it), but the fact that Bachmann and Hornby, having presumably done some homework,  have brought all these ranges out first in crimson and cream might suggest that rather more people find that livery 'more useful.'  I certainly do. 

Amid all the negativity (is it really reasonable to expect manufacturers to produce something to suit every single variety of railway modeller, every year ?), there are some interesting models for me, at least. In particular, the OO sound-fitted Class 03, which sounds (!) like an engineering challenge.

What a total washout , you think Bachmann were the ones in financial trouble not Hornby.

Why do another D11 in LNER Green when Model Rail still cant sell the version they had done "Marne" ,that has been around for at least a year.

Only one new OO steam loco with a late crest!!!!!! Looks like nothing new from Bachmann will be coming my way this year.

That is pretty astonishing - I always assumed that late crest was the most popular livery for steam, because it means you can mix steam & diesel.

Since it has become increasingly apparent recently that our hobby isn't an easy way to make money, I find it astonishing that popular liveries are held back, presumably to try & tempt us to buy versions of new items that we wouldn't normally buy. These days I thought they wanted our cash as fast as they could get it?!

• RMweb Gold

Well hardly an unexpected announcement in some respects with clearly the most important part of it being the obtaining of extra resources (toolroom?) from Kader - just the sort of move Bachmann needed to make faced with their considerable backlog of announced but thus far unreleased models.

Not much to complain about in my view - reasonable mix across the Regions/companies for steam age models, diesels perhaps less so but with so many livery variations out there it's difficult to see what else they could do and still actually keep the business on a sound basis.  Presumably the weathered blood & custard Porthole stock might be indicative of earlier over-production but it is perhaps too much to hope that they bogie design will be improved.  As there are plenty of other things on their plate so maybe not a bad idea to keep away from having to deal with a relivery of the Portholes at this stage?.

Interesting to see that they are pressing ahead with the Pressed Steel bubble car (Class 121 for younger readers) with a possible clash coming up with Dapol - however despite showing some earlyish EPs for the Gloucester (Class 122) version recently Dapol still have a way to go with that one so maybe Bachmann think they could overtake them with extra Kader resource to devote to the Pressed Steel car - time will tell?

Archived