Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

Cwm Bach Colliery's largest resident loco VICTORIA, a Minerva Victory, has been the subject of some gentle weathering. I have tried to simulate the appearance of hard working loco that is cleaned fairly regularly. I polished the red area of the superstructure with T-Cut and cotton buds to try to impart that oily rag finish. I then painted the loco with a blend of dark grey and leather colours, which was applied with a brush and rubbed away with a cotton bud soaked in thinners. VICTORIA was then lightly dusted with some weathering powders. The wheels were painted black and then topcoated with Humbrol with Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal. One of the photos shows VICTORIA next to PALMERSTON, an Ixion Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0ST and the smallest loco in the Cwm Bach Colliery fleet. I am having a session painting crew figures that should be ready for the weekend.

post-13142-0-41508500-1484759009_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-42680000-1484759011_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-48438600-1484759013_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-42493100-1484759015_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-15636500-1484759017_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-04565600-1484759019_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That's very nice indeed, Chris.

A friend of mine had one of these at the club earlier this week. He'd put a circuit of 'O' gauge set track down in a quiet corner on the floor and was running his Peckett in and before he got the 'Victory' 0-6-0T out, he asked me if I was going to get one as well. I spouted the official policy line that the existing two industrials were sufficient and that I would have more locos than my tiny shunting plank would ever require.

Then he got the 'Victory' loco out and started running it.

My resolve started weakening at that point!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I suppose I should have emailed Minerva directly about this, but somehow it seemed logical to ask on here, as there might be others who wanted to know the same answers!

Can anyone say what the minimum radius for a Victory is ... and if Chris happens to look in, any chance of a list of which exhibitions Minerva are going to at this year please?  Also, I accept this might be confidential Chris but i'll ask as you can always just ignore it if you cant answer!  How are the sales of the Victory and Pecketts going - ie is there plenty left, or are you getting low? Im assuming once they have gone, they have gone?

Richie

Hi,

I suppose I should have emailed Minerva directly about this, but somehow it seemed logical to ask on here, as there might be others who wanted to know the same answers!

Can anyone say what the minimum radius for a Victory is ... and if Chris happens to look in, any chance of a list of which exhibitions Minerva are going to at this year please?  Also, I accept this might be confidential Chris but i'll ask as you can always just ignore it if you cant answer!  How are the sales of the Victory and Pecketts going - ie is there plenty left, or are you getting low? Im assuming once they have gone, they have gone?

Richie

Richie,

The Kerr Stuart Victory will happily negotiate 36" radius curves. Sales of both types are progressing according to plan, but if you want a black Victory in particular, you may not want to hang around. Remaining shows Minerva is attending in 2017 are:

Rail Wells, Somerset                                    12th/13th August 2017

Gauge O Guild, Telford                                2nd/3rd September 2017

West Wales O Gauge, Carmarthen             7th October 2017

Reading Trade Show                                   2nd December 2017

Regards,

Chris

Richie,

The Kerr Stuart Victory will happily negotiate 36" radius curves. Sales of both types are progressing according to plan, but if you want a black Victory in particular, you may not want to hang around.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Im thinking of one or two of the green ones!

Sounds like i've a little (but perhaps not much) breathing time :)

Richie

Oh stop putting temptation in my way! :)  They will look very nice im guessing alongside my mate's sound-fitted Minerva Peckett ... oh thats also green, now thats a co-incidence isnt it ;)

Just in case people don't know what we are talking about, here is a photo of an ex-works green Victory. My personalised Minerva Peckett in the same livery follows and for completeness, my Ixion Hudswell Clarke, also in the same livery. The Ixion model sold out a few years ago.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-55543400-1500628394_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-27395400-1500628465_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67684900-1500628505_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just in case people don't know what we are talking about, here is a photo of an ex-works green Victory. My personalised Minerva Peckett in the same livery follows and for completeness, my Ixion Hudswell Clarke, also in the same livery. The Ixion model sold out a few years ago.

Regards,

Chris

I told you to stop tempting me Chris!!!! :) The bank manager says i need to resist for a little longer ... oh no I don't .... oh yes I do!!! :) . Superb weathering on that Peckett. Lovely!  

Is there anything else planned from Minerva, I know the Pannier's are about to arrive in the next couple of months i thing, but industrial wise? A Barclay 0-4-0ST with square saddle tanks would be a nice choice for a model, or one of the big Bagnall 0-6-0STs like Victor and Vulcan ;)  :sungum:

Richie

• Like 1

I told you to stop tempting me Chris!!!! :) The bank manager says i need to resist for a little longer ... oh no I don't .... oh yes I do!!! :) . Superb weathering on that Peckett. Lovely!  

Is there anything else planned from Minerva, I know the Pannier's are about to arrive in the next couple of months i thing, but industrial wise? A Barclay 0-4-0ST with square saddle tanks would be a nice choice for a model, or one of the big Bagnall 0-6-0STs like Victor and Vulcan ;)  :sungum:

Richie

Richie,

We will be revealing decorated samples of a surprise new 0 gauge model at Guildex Telford on 2nd September, which will be available for October. The identity of the model remains a closely guarded secret.

We have narrowed our selection for the next locomotive to a shortlist of three, but as is Minerva's practice will not announce it until the design work is completed and approved and we are ready to start cutting metal for the tools, moulds and dies. That will probably be at the G0G Spring Show at Kettering in March 2018 and this practice ensures that our customers and friends don't have to wait several years for the finished model.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

Victory class KS3068/17 went to Manchester Collieries and was named 'Francis'.  It was based at Walkden and there are several pages, including photos of it in 'Locomotives of the Central Lancashire Coalfield'. Be aware that between 1964 and 1966 it was fitted with a Giesl ejector and scrapped in 1968. Unlike many of the Austerities (which were maroon latterly) I think Francis remained in black but lined out with single broad yellow line. See https://books.google.com/books?id=awzXAwAAQBAJ&pg=PP17&lpg=PP17&dq=NCB+Walkden+loco+Francis&source

Cheers,

Ray.

Ray,

Here's Francis in red with Giesl

David 1/2d

post-5148-0-72143600-1517251397_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Isambarduk

... my customised Minerva Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T.

Call that customising?  ;)  ;) Very nice, though.

In case anybody is interested but may have missed my customising of a Victory, see here:

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128633-kerr-stuart-‘victory’-class-–-a-7mm-rtr-makeover/ 

VictoryBufferPlankRemoval.jpg

Well, it's more of a makeover, really.  I have another instalment to add soon.

David

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi.

Does any one know how the crank pins are fitted. I have a green sound fitted one that I bought a couple of weeks ago and only got to try it down the club over the weekend and sadly the front left hand site crank pin catches on the cross head guides.

Before moaning and sending it back I'd like to have a go at fixing it.

The crank pin definitely looks like it sticks out more the right hand side one does. So before I go at it like a bull in a china shop are the crank pins push fit with glue, screwed, resistance fit... Do I need any special tools (Club hammer ???).

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Owen

Guest Isambarduk

Does any one know how the crank pins are fitted. .... So before I go at it like a bull in a china shop are the crank pins push fit with glue, screwed, resistance fit... Do I need any special tools (Club hammer ???).

Owen, Sadly, they are fitted with a very powerful threadlock so those little steel screws are not keen to be removed.  There is a special tool to fit the screw head with two flats but a hand vice gripping on the flats will provide a surer fit.  No, it's not a special tool that is needed but some way of freeing off the threadlock.  I never found a way to do it and, despite wiggling backwards and forwards many times, two of the screws sheared off and I had to drill them out and replace them with my 'normal' arrangement of crankpins.

Because it was an aside, I did not actually refer to this when I rebuilt my Victory with new buffer planks, a Lambton cab and other mods (see here: www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128633-kerr-stuart-‘victory’-class-–-a-7mm-rtr-makeover/)

Victory3-4FrontComplete.jpg

David

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to say.

My loco is back, it was turned around in a very quick time and now runs perfectly.

Excellent customer service from Chris.

Thanks

Owen

Took my Victory for some minor repairs to Sully MPD yesterday evening now sorted and running superb again! Came away with a GPV !! (can resist anything but temptation) Top service from Chris ,Thanks very much for sorting loco out in quick time!

Took my Victory for some minor repairs to Sully MPD yesterday evening now sorted and running superb again! Came away with a GPV !! (can resist anything but temptation) Top service from Chris ,Thanks very much for sorting loco out in quick time!

Hi Mervyn

All part of the Minerva service, though it was a very quick fix, a little plastic swarf clipping the crosshead. Next time stay a little longer, have a cup of tea and a natter!!!

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Minerva Victory in "red". In fact I think it is a dark pink and looks 'orrid. I am about to repaint it in LSWR holly green which should suit me rather better. I have already painted everything below the footplate black.

I discussed dismantling it with Chis Bastin at the recent Railex show in Aylesbury and received the good news that the boiler/firebox can with care be separated from the cab/tanks which will make the respray very much easier. 

I plan to spray the green with an airbrush. I intend using flexible masking tape to try and keep the lining. The paint is Phoenix Precision and is a very dark shade which should have excellent covering power.

Now a few questions - Do I need to use a primer on the surface before I add the topcoats? If yes, what primer would you recommend? Would an undercoat over the primer be a good move? No guesses please, I would prefer to hear from someone who has done a similar paint job.

Chaz

Edited by chaz