SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

Looks as good as mine lol!! Can You tell me where you got the buffers and lashing points and the hooks from please!!?

Hi Marcoblanco, the buffers are from Genesis kits, they aren't sprung just white metal but great value. I have bought a couple of hundred up til now. Great company to deal with, very very prompt delivery.

The lashing points and brake wheels are from Brass Masters. Again superb value and again a great company to deal with. Very prompt delivery.

I realise that there are probably lots of other companies that offer products just as good but I can only speak from experience and I would definitely recommend both these companies as they are professions and have great products I want to buy.

As you can probably see from the photos I have posted I am not a river counter, I model what to me looks about right. I'm very untechy and this is the only website I post on as the people here are not hostile and seem friendly and encouraging.

Have you got any photos of your models?

• Like 1

Thanks for the dimensions guys, I took a few pictures of the real things a week or so back, wanting to make a rake ,the Touax site is very useful, ive noticed theyre owing lot more wagon now so im guessing their site will show more of the dimensions as they own more wagons?

NL

Thanks for the dimensions guys, I took a few pictures of the real things a week or so back, wanting to make a rake ,the Touax site is very useful, ive noticed theyre owing lot more wagon now so im guessing their site will show more of the dimensions as they own more wagons?

NL

Just looking at another thread, which asks about the JRA wagons, post number 15, which pictures the JRA wagon posted by GloriousNSE is the condition I wish to model mine in, so with the extended sides, as in current condition

NL

Hi Marcoblanco, the buffers are from Genesis kits, they aren't sprung just white metal but great value. I have bought a couple of hundred up til now. Great company to deal with, very very prompt delivery.

The lashing points and brake wheels are from Brass Masters. Again superb value and again a great company to deal with. Very prompt delivery.

I realise that there are probably lots of other companies that offer products just as good but I can only speak from experience and I would definitely recommend both these companies as they are professions and have great products I want to buy.

As you can probably see from the photos I have posted I am not a river counter, I model what to me looks about right. I'm very untechy and this is the only website I post on as the people here are not hostile and seem friendly and encouraging.

Have you got any photos of your models?

Here are some images.. I'm also not a rivet counter or an expert scratch builder. I'm sure you can spot some errors ! 4th one on the way, might keep it to 5 as only a small shunting layout. I wanted something a bit different then any ole RTR wagon that can be easily bought -AND they are getting expensive these days ! Scratch building offers some saving of cash as well as being quite absorbing!

Any more ideas on projects and suppliers would be most welcome..

Buffers and more bogies ordered from Genesis thanks for that.

I've contacted Brass masters re the lashing points but they say they don't do them..[?] are you calling them something else in this instance,,..?

Thanks

Marcoblanco

post-29394-0-66213800-1489520033_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-15296300-1489520057_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-13442200-1489520079_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Being used to seeing these wagons formed in block trains with other, similar, wagons, I was quite surprised to see a solitary example at Dolland's Moor this morning. The last time I heard of these wagons down here was when EWS sent a couple of sets to Calais to start ECR's services. That was over a decade ago, so I wonder if this wagon had been found at the end of a siding somewhere in France?

Here are some images.. I'm also not a rivet counter or an expert scratch builder. I'm sure you can spot some errors ! 4th one on the way, might keep it to 5 as only a small shunting layout. I wanted something a bit different then any ole RTR wagon that can be easily bought -AND they are getting expensive these days ! Scratch building offers some saving of cash as well as being quite absorbing!

Any more ideas on projects and suppliers would be most welcome..

Buffers and more bogies ordered from Genesis thanks for that.

I've contacted Brass masters re the lashing points but they say they don't do them..[?] are you calling them something else in this instance,,..?

Thanks

Marcoblanco

Marcoblanco.......top scratch build modelling mate. Particular the detailing on the under frames. With regard to the brass ferry tie down hooks and kleets etc, sorry I think the years of Ale have finally begun to take their tole on my old noggin, the company that makes them is '51L'......again another really great company to deal with. They are very prompt and they have a good range of parts to help the scratch builder. Brass masters do a good draw bar hook for very reasonable rates.

Keep the photos coming, it really does inspire me to model. Now I've just got to find the time to do some of it........in between working with real railways and persevered railways, rebuilding the bathroom, digging up the old flower beds to lay turf, repairing the workshop roof, painting all the external windows and cutting down two trees........I really must have done something terribly wrong in a past life! Ale is essential on days off, thank god for Harveys.

Being used to seeing these wagons formed in block trains with other, similar, wagons, I was quite surprised to see a solitary example at Dolland's Moor this morning. The last time I heard of these wagons down here was when EWS sent a couple of sets to Calais to start ECR's services. That was over a decade ago, so I wonder if this wagon had been found at the end of a siding somewhere in France?

Fat Controller do you have any photos, or was it a passing view? I can't remember the last time I saw any of these in a rake. Although there is a rough old set of wagons that appear fairly frequently on the Newhaven aggregate / ash working. I thought I saw one amongst that lot as it stuck out as being generally smaller than the other wagons. Didn't get a photo sadly.

We're there ever any in dark blue over here?

Fat Controller do you have any photos, or was it a passing view? I can't remember the last time I saw any of these in a rake. Although there is a rough old set of wagons that appear fairly frequently on the Newhaven aggregate / ash working. I thought I saw one amongst that lot as it stuck out as being generally smaller than the other wagons. Didn't get a photo sadly.

We're there ever any in dark blue over here?

A passing view on my way from work; since HS1 was built, it's very difficult to get anything beyond a distant view of wagons in the yard. There were a couple in that Midnight Blue livery that Tiphook briefly used before being taken over by GERS; most, however, haven't seen a paintbrush since they were built.

Transfers to follow..

Wow......incredible. You really have captured the look of the rust patterns and streaks. The colours and shades vary, it really does look right. It looks like the prototype. Excellent work, truly superb. Do you have a gallery with other photos?

What did you use for the black underframe air brake cylinders etc. I can see the styrene strip for the rodding / air piping. On various wagons I have bought white metal cylinders etc but this where it begins to bump the price up per wagon so an easy to build and cheap plastic alternative would be good. I suppose a 3D printed one might be cheaper than white metal, sadly my knowledge and experience of creating of both is zero......

The Underframe detail is scraps of plasticicard, rodding, bits of sprue and paperclips also.. I just built up a representation of what you can see in photos.. And its far from accurate.

I choose a dirty brown for the main colour and added a rust wash and then rusty/yellow weathering powders..

Not sure what colour these wagons were before they went rusty..??

Biggest issue has been buffer lock on points so I will have to compromise with shortening buffers and protrude of kadee..

I know what you mean with Underframe kit.. Its not really visable but as a modeller we want something there. Ive bought a batch of cylindars etc from genesis and 5il as experement for future projects. I may continue using sprue etc. As someone said ' never Throw anything away' lol!!

post-29394-0-78742000-1490261259_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-88929600-1490261280_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-27612600-1490261316_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Biggest issue has been buffer lock on points so I will have to compromise with shortening buffers and protrude of kadee..

I know what you mean with Underframe kit.. Its not really visable but as a modeller we want something there. Ive bought a batch of cylindars etc from genesis and 5il as experement for future projects. I may continue using sprue etc. As someone said ' never Throw anything away' lol!!

Ah buffer lock. That is a real pain. I've been using ready to run Bachmann TF25 and Y25 type bogies on my wagons, with the usual NEM couplings and triangular fitting device etc.

The issue gets worse with longer bodied wagons, as the increased 'End Throw' causes increased buffer locking. I tried several ways before settling on the one method below. I wanted an easy modular system that I could just keep repeating.

post-28700-0-85447600-1490265388_thumb.jpg

It uses the existing coupling holder pocket with the coupling modified by cutting off the bulges at the ends of the two legs, so that they are straight. You then take another 'pocket' and add it to it so you get an extension by one 'pocket' length (6-7mm). Then I use two pieces of black styrene adding one to each side. As per the photo. I used impact adhesive as the plastic pocket doesn't 'glue' well. It seems quite effective and it is stiff enough not to deflect when being hauled or propelled in the longest trains, some of which I have run up to 50 bogie wagons.

The extra pocket added on could work for your NEM Kadees. I have some but have never tired it.

Let me know if you need any more details with the above suggestion. It would allow you to keep the original buffer length. I suppose instead of black styrene brass strips could be used.

Just like to say again, your work is superb mate. It is so inspiring to see other peoples modelling. Before I discovered RMWeb I thought that I was the only person who did this kind of stuff, as I have never seen anyone do this type of modelling as demonstrations at model shows.

• Like 1

Im using cambrian y25 which are bit of a pain to fold up and glue accurately. I havnt gone down the pocket route with the kadees as when I experememted they were to low. I soppose I need a supply from bachman - like you...

Edited by Marcoblanco

Those Y25 Cambrian bogies......I have a load of the original ones that folded up, some made, some partially made. I too found them difficult to build. They were awkward to get squared to ensure that all four wheel treads to her the rails. I have a few worked ok but even those seemed to lack a solid feel.

I thought that they now come pre formed so that they no longer require the sides to be folded up. It always seemed that even when the sides were folded up the were under tension.

As stated on this forum before there are few, if any, RTR Manufatures that seem prepared to sell modern freight bogies as a separate item. I bought my lots on eBay (right place right time for TF25s) and Peter's Spares for the Y25s. During a conversation with Peter's Spares they informed me that they bought them as a one off arrangement and would no longer be available as they have now sold out. This really is such a shame.

To my mind the bogies are the hardest part to get right but they are paramount to getting a worth while, reliable working model. It really doesn't matter how much effort, skill and time building the body of the vehicle takes if the bogies don't work properly.

When I started I used RTR Hornby Freightliner bogies. This gave the cheapest and easiest solution and allowed me to concentrate on building the bodies. However I was never truly satisfied with the end product as so few wagons used those bogies and they never looked quite right.

The 3D Printed solution might be the way to go but I don't know anything about it l, so don't know where to start.