Pontypool & Blaenavon Gala 2016 - June 24-26

avonside1563

This year's gala at the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway is taking place in June instead of September as last year it clashed with too many other events.

So far the visiting locomotives confirmed are 0-6-0PT 1501 from the Severn Valley Railway and 0-6-0PT 1369 from the South Devon Railway. (A third visitor is pencilled in - to be confirmed)

These will be in action alongside the home locos of 0-6-0ST 71515 'Mech Navvies' and 0-4-0ST 'Rosyth No.1'

The event will feature two passenger sets (one consisting of Mk1's and the other the vintage wooden carriages), double heading, banking, non-stop runs, freight trains and lots of other attractions.

This is a great weekend featuring lots of action on the steeply graded line and plenty to entertain so come along and see for yourself.

Now also confirmed as attending the P&BR gala in June is ex-Andrew Barclay works shunter 1219 recently returned to steam at the West Somerset Railway and seen in action at Washford at their recent gala.

• 1 month later...

Here's the complete loco line up for the Gala on 24-26th June.

Will you be having a play with the either of the pannier tanks?

More than likely. 1501 is staying for a month but 1369 is heading hoe straight after the gala

• 1 month later...

Today is the first day of this weekend's gala. Hopefully the weather will be kind and the rain will restrict itself to the occasional shower. 1501 and 1369 on the mainline between Blaenavon High Level and Furnace Sidings, and 1219 doing the honours on the Big Pit branch, today being purely passenger services. Rosyth No.1 and Mech Navvies join in tomorrow along with a freight train during the day.

• RMweb Gold

Today is the first day of this weekend's gala. Hopefully the weather will be kind and the rain will restrict itself to the occasional shower. 1501 and 1369 on the mainline between Blaenavon High Level and Furnace Sidings, and 1219 doing the honours on the Big Pit branch, today being purely passenger services. Rosyth No.1 and Mech Navvies join in tomorrow along with a freight train during the day.

Last time I was at Blaenavon was for a demo of Network Rail's Cardiff based drainage machine. It was very wet and very cold. I'm sure this weekend will be a good do, but unfortunately I can't be there because a member of our extended family has decided to have a party this weekend............. :(

• RMweb Premium

I'll be there  :)

• RMweb Premium

How did it go? Any photos to share?

I don't usually take many pictures on preserved lines, but I couldn't resist these:

27931321696_a9bdc0a92b_z.jpgBlaenavon 1 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

27351990163_bc7c9023b0_z.jpgBlaenavon 2 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

27965465805_b1011f4a6b_z.jpgBlaenavon 3 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

I had a great day. There's lots to see at Blaenavon - not only the railway but also the historic ironworks. I was sorry not to be able to visit Big Pit as it is closed by industrial action.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I might also add that I enjoyed the display of historic photos at Blaenavon High Level station, and had an interesting talk with the custodian there, a knowledgeable gentleman who is writing a book on the line. As a result I have been able to expand the captions to my photos from my previous visit.

10421367445_82c41792dd_z.jpgMAR 75 08. A train of coal empties approaches Furnace Sidings Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10421512843_032d2cc1f7_z.jpgMAR 75 09. Barclay 0-4-0ST Toto shunts at Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10421371746_a192289885_z.jpgMAR 75 13. Barclay 0-4-0ST Toto shunts at Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10421373946_466cc8dcaf_z.jpgMAR 75 11. Barclay 0-4-0ST Toto shunts at Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10421376476_ab742ee315_z.jpgMAR 75 12. Barclay 0-4-0ST Toto shunts at Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

• Like 5

Great shots there Andy.

In the first photo the building to the right above the 37 is Doncasters Mill who produce forgings and rolled rings and supplied tyres to the Great Western and Western region. The company is still in production albiet in modern buildings rather than the old brick buildings seen there.

To place the second photo for those who don't know the area well the camera is looking straight over the rail over bridge on the left towards what is now Big Pit Halt, the right hand abutment for the bridge in the distance is still in place opposite the platform.

27951796482_81370a4b4d_z.jpgCompo Club - 1501 at Blaenavon by

Martin Creese, on Flickr

27976806681_1dd795aecf_z.jpgCompo Club - 1501 at Blaenavon by Martin Creese, on Flickr

27951795172_664774a504_z.jpgCompo Club - 1501 at Blaenavon by Martin Creese, on Flickr

A very enjoyable photographic evening with Simon Hopkins and 1501 on a short goods train . Clear Sunshine helped the images and a big thank you to all involved for a very warm welcome

Edited by sidmouth
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...