OK. Moving forward with the NER Sallon Coach. Making up and fitting the wheel units was a very simple affair (Photos further down the thread.) These are attached to the floor with four 8BA nuts and bolts. A great idea as you can remove the complete units for painting etc. The W irons and springs were one etch and location grooves made for easy location.
Also the underfloor box and gas tank where attached.
I added an extra overlay to the buffer beams as prototype photos showed the rivet detail and the fact that the beam stopped short of the actual ends. I marked out the rivet detail and punched them out on the rivet machine.
Also at this stage all handrails, except the end corners which are to added, door handles, lamp brackets etc. are now fitted.
This shows the additional buffer beam overlay and the vac pipes I added as they where not included.
Now primed and ready for final painting. This shows the simple brake rodding I made up. I used Jim Macgowens 4 wheel coaches I have as a guide.
The roof comes preformed and just requied a final teak to make a perfect fit. I soldered small offcuts of sprue to each corner to hold the roof nice and snug. This allows for removal in the future. All the seating, from Tower Models, was then prepared for painting as where the passengers.
So into the paint shop and a quick spray with Halfords VW Gambia Red and she was dry in an hour. I used GWR First/Third HMRS transfers on the doors. All black areas where painted with Railmatch weathered black. This is a lovely colour for footboards and the roof.
Here she is on a photo shoot. Very carefully as the black is only just touch dry. Then is back to the drying cupboard.
Showing the toilet side. The window is actually not a stark as in the photo and looks more like the off white opaque glass which is typical.
To sum up. I never intended this to be an authentic prototype, just a typical type of vehicle that couble be found on a light railway.