Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Simond.  It's a bit of a misnomer. It does not rotate like a cement mixer. It actually rocks a little from side to side. So calling it a rotary coal bunker in my view is incorrect. But, hey, who am I to question such matters?

Hi. It's been a long build but now well under way. There is the bellows, albeit false,  to sort out at the cab rear. Plus a fair bit of fiddle to bet it all sort to negotiate curves. The pony truck to finish and a few other bits and bobs to complete.

Then get it all primed and running. So all in all a few days work yet.  (Looking forward to a rest when this ones done I might add.)

In the meantime this is it so far.

post-150-0-65469800-1509300561_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Oh boy, has this loco been a challenge. Still a bit of work on it is required. Now it primed and wire up, the bunker end is not sitting fully down on the buffers. Probable due to the wires fouling or the motor needs to be a tad lower. It's very tight in there without chopping holes in the bunker. I really don't want to do that at this late stage.

Also the black paintwork requires some touching up and finishing. Plus the balance weights need attaching. Had enough on it for today though.

post-150-0-07109400-1509635587_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Oh boy, has this loco been a challenge. Still a bit of work on it is required. Now it primed and wire up, the bunker end is not sitting fully down on the buffers. Probable due to the wires fouling or the motor needs to be a tad lower. It's very tight in there without chopping holes in the bunker. I really don't want to do that at this late stage.

Also the black paintwork requires some touching up and finishing. Plus the balance weights need attaching. Had enough on it for today though.

attachicon.gifgarrett 15 - 1.jpg

Nice one Ken!

I'm sure I am not alone in enjoying seeing you challenged for once :sungum:

John K

Well, I did say “Tuesday tea time”. And it is Tuesday, tea time :)

Well done, nice one. When do you do the haulage trials?

Best

Simon

Hi Simon. I will be leaving that task to it's new owner. (My layout is too short and not enough rolling stock to do any serious hauling. With the weight of the model and powered by two ABC units I think it will shift a fair bit of stock.)

Edited by jazz

Nice one Ken!

I'm sure I am not alone in enjoying seeing you challenged for once :sungum:

John K

John, I have been known to have the odd challenge over the years, I can still get caught out occasionally. 

Edited by jazz

Hi. I've now had a short break from the WB and now for a little light relief for another one for my layout. this is the excellent 6 wheel all third coach from Big Jim (Connoisseur). I am very fond of Jim's kits. Well designed, no fuss easy builds.

Today was spent cleaning up all the castings, cutting all all the etches and doing all the sub assemblies.  I am going to scratch build a three point system for the outer two axles and have the centre ones floating.

The kit did include the interior detail. The last one I purchased that was an extra, so it's to have them included.

Here it is ready to start assembly.

post-150-0-95295800-1509830001_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi. A very pleasant day with the rain pounding the work shop window, assembling the coach.  I devised a very simple method od floating the centre wheels using piano wire passing through the short brass tube on the axle. Simple and very effective. The compensation on one end of the coach is a very simple affair too. The axle is inside a brass tube that rocks from a central point on a support. (The photo explains it)

By no means a high tech engineering exercise but it works, that's all that matters in my book.

Now for the roof detailing. 

post-150-0-00929000-1509904369_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-37597600-1509904391_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-04830000-1509904412_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Right, the coach is now in the drying cupboard (commonly know as the airing cupboard).   It will be finished in the late GWR brown & cream simplified livery.  I would sooner do that than the full earlier livery as painting is not by best skill.

In the meantime tomorrow will see the start of the DJH BR Thompson A1/2.  I have been avoiding this build for some time, so he goes.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

Breaking off from the DJH kit, I've finished the 6 wheel coach.  Just going have to get som passers for both the coaches.

Here it is with the other coach. Looking at the two together I think I will have to paint the lights on the brake third to match it.

post-150-0-30426200-1510253234_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-42659500-1510253256_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-50399500-1510253333_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The work on the DJH A2/1 is underway.  The build of the tender has gone quite well. What is very time consuming is finding the correct parts need for this loco on the etch sheets. There is a lot of unwanted parts and the ones you do need are scattered all over the various sheets.

Anyway so far so good. As you will see I am springing the centre two axles in my usual way.

post-150-0-96656800-1510339750_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09849900-1510339771_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Tender is completed and now for the loco.  It took all morning trying to sort out what was what only to discover there are a few etches missing altogether. It means a bit of scratch building to be done.  The cast footplate sections need quite a bit of careful filing to remove the spurs so al in all it was well after lunch before actual construction started.  This is unusual in that it is suggested to body is started before the chassis. Probably because you have to build the chassis to the body not the usual way for me at all. The footplate has precise locations for the bolts to attach.

So it's onwards and forwards. (Tomorrow will not be at the WB though.) I might add this has to be the most ugly loco cab I've had on the WB.)

post-150-0-01220300-1510503794_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

Hi. A couple of slow days due to recovery from a procedure on my shoulder, but now back in production again.  The build is coming along quite well, at last being to see the light with plenty of unused etched parts now ditched into the box.

The cast spacers that sit on top of the cylinders will bring the front end up a touch. The photo makes it looks much, much worse than it really is.

To day it's time to get the valve gear sorted, so that will keep me quiet.

post-150-0-47382200-1510910071_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

The best part of Friday was spent making up the valve gear. Today has mostly been attaching it all to the chassis and doing the brake gear. A couple of other minor things to do on the chassis before the paint shop gets it's hands on it.

Then it's back to the body.

post-150-0-35081300-1511031333_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi. Almost there now, just the top of the boiler/smoke box and firebox to detail. Add the detail to the cab interior and it's onto the primer stage.

Then to fun starts again putting the wheels on and get it running :sungum:

post-150-0-51819800-1511278402_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 12

Hi.  All but finished now. Balance weights and cab doors to attach and a little touching in on the black. Then a good running in on the rolling road.  The deflectors just clip into place to facilitate the painting. Also the backhead, seats and doors are left loose for the same reason.

post-150-0-12268500-1511548471_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-69496300-1511548454_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  Just completed a very old Gateneal Pannier tank kit. (Found on eBay for a great price with nice replacement castings and Mashima motor plus wheels)

It still required a fair bit of additional scratch building as the kit is very basic in original form.  

I am currently waiting for the number plates from Guilplates and then adding the transfers.

Now I'm starting an interesting kit, a Lochgorm Kits 4-6-0 Jones goods. Another first on the WB

post-150-0-01716600-1512584186_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-56797300-1512584223_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-77376100-1512584162_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Now I'm starting an interesting kit, a Lochgorm Kits 4-6-0 Jones goods. Another first on the WB

Ah! My territory. On my 'to build' list. I will watch this one with interest.

Regards

Sandy

This is a scratch built, third rail, Gauge 1 Model from the 1930's. Builder unknown.

post-7733-0-17996700-1512634870_thumb.jpg

• Like 8