Finney7

dikitriki

Hi Richard,

This may be an 'off the wall' query that you say something along the lines of 'oh god don't mention it!' but are there any plans for a re-run of Martin's Broad Gauge kits - I can see 'Rover' is mentioned on the website, but not with any info or details and having had a quick look through this thread it appears not to have been mentioned at all?  If so, is likely to be a 'one-off' run or available occasionally?   It is a distant ambition - distant being the word at the moment - but one that I've always fancied as a display model for the cabinet ... course once its built it will be too nice to just display!

Rich

Hello Rich,

The BG Rover - the only BG model Martin did - is being produced at the moment. It is labour and time intensive to produce as we have to have pewter castings that have to be cleaned up by us then sent away for plating in gold, copper and nickel as necessary. We should have the kits out within the next 3 months. There are still a few left unreserved, and if you want one from this batch, we would ask for a deposit of £150. The details are on the attached pdf.

It will not be a one-off run, but it won't always be in stock.

Richard

Finney7 BG Rover.pdf

Edited by dikitriki

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rich,

The BG Rover - the only BG model Martin did - is being produced at the moment. It is labour and time intensive to produce as we have to have pewter castings that have to be cleaned up by us then sent away for plating in gold, copper and nickel as necessary. We should have the kits out within the next 3 months. There are still a few left unreserved, and if you want one from this batch, we would ask for a deposit of £150. The details are on the attached pdf.

It will not be a one-off run, but it won't always be in stock.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for your prompt reply. Given everything I've got going on at the moment, as there will be another run at some point I'll hold on for a bit. Do want one at some point tho!

Cheers

Rich

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

First of all, an announcement that our next new kit will be the Thompson B1. We have already crawled over the existing examples and been up to the NRM to acquire the necessary drawings, so we are ready to go. In fact, the cab has already been drawn and is off to the etchers for a test etch.

post-3059-0-04100100-1492774579_thumb.png

Second, a thank you to all those purchasers of our Bulleid Light Pacific who have waited patiently for the tender springs and axleboxes. Our new masters have been cast, and we have had back the first test casts to approve the production run. We are now awaiting delivery and they will be processed as soon as we have them. The axleboxes are shown below. It was important we got this right as it was as much about our development and production processes as about the specific castings.

post-3059-0-43625800-1492774625_thumb.jpg

Finally, we have a stand at the Leigh show tomorrow, so come and say hello!

Richard

• Like 3

....next new kit will be the Thompson B1. ..... the cab has already been drawn and is off to the etchers for a test etch.....

Academic question: I've probably missed the post-takeover discussion on this but, when designing the new kits, are you doing the etch design in the style that Martin Finney might have done them had he himself produced such a kit?

Academic question: I've probably missed the post-takeover discussion on this but, when designing the new kits, are you doing the etch design in the style that Martin Finney might have done them had he himself produced such a kit?

Hi,

Thats an almost impossible question to answer, as without asking him, we don't know how Martin would design a particular model. And his approach changed over time. We think we will be taking the best of Martin's design philosophy and tweaking it for the better to suit our needs. For sure, we believe that the new kits have to be at least as good, if not better than those Martin produced.

Turning it round, what etch design aspects do you consider constitute the Martin Finney style?

Richard

...Turning it round, what etch design aspects do you consider constitute the Martin Finney style?

The most prominent trademark for me - certainly on the 4mm range - was on the chassis frets: fully-floating compensation using etched beams.

Strict subdivision of etches into boiler fret, footplate and alternative cabsides fret, chassis, etc. ....although it struck me that whenever there were chassis frame overlays, they always seemed to end up on the body frets!

All of the frets were seemingly small enough to fit into a low, almost flat box - there was no way the box would contain the finished model!

The most prominent trademark for me - certainly on the 4mm range - was on the chassis frets: fully-floating compensation using etched beams.

Strict subdivision of etches into boiler fret, footplate and alternative cabsides fret, chassis, etc. ....although it struck me that whenever there were chassis frame overlays, they always seemed to end up on the body frets!

All of the frets were seemingly small enough to fit into a low, almost flat box - there was no way the box would contain the finished model!

In that case, the spirit of Martin will live on, though the division of subset etches was never so clear cut in 7mm given the size of the components and the constraints of box sizes.

However, I would put accuracy, quality, completeness, fit of parts as far more important that the items on your list.

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We now have the etches for the cab and boiler/footplate for the new B1. We hope to have the chassis available as well for the GOG Doncaster show in June, so you might see a complete model as far as the etches are concerned. The production etches will be in nickel silver too.

post-3059-0-65639200-1494054773_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-35218500-1494054762_thumb.jpg

Richard

• Like 6

That's definitely one I wish had happened when 7mm and 4mm ranges were under the same roof!

Oddly enough, there was a brief period when the raw material started to become available, namely:

- Dave Bradwell B1 chassis; and

- Bill Bedford's B1 boiler and cab etch - which never saw any further development.

The latter is no longer available, although Bill might still have the artwork......

• Like 1

Slight change of tack:

After many requests, the Bulleid wheel overlays for Slater's wheels, both BLP and MN have been signed off. They will be available in a couple of weeks once the production run lands.

post-3059-0-02434700-1494710787_thumb.jpg

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Slight change of tack:

After many requests, the Bulleid wheel overlays for Slater's wheels, both BLP and MN have been signed off. They will be available in a couple of weeks once the production run lands.

attachicon.gifBulleid Wheels.jpg

Richard

Looks good Richard. What's the expected price for a BLP set?

Looks good Richard. What's the expected price for a BLP set?

Hi Chris,

Engine only £25

Tender only £10

If bought with our BLP £30 for a full set. This offer is extended to those who have previously bought the Finney7 BLP when the overlays were not available.

P&P £3.50

Richard

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Telford weekend coming up.

I thought I would let you know that we will have available for sale, at least on Saturday morning :smile_mini:

All the LWSR locos previously released

Bulleid Light Pacific

Princess Coronation

V2

Rover

and you might be imterested in some of the bling components for the Rover. Plated in gold, copper and nickel:

post-3059-0-34653000-1504023252_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-88614900-1504023256_thumb.jpg

See you there,

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard, for the forgetful could you just remind me/us what all the 'previously released' LSWR locos covers? I presume you mean by Finney7, ie the M7 and Radial Tank...

I do.

M7,

Adams' Radial

Adams' Radial - Drummond boiler

T3

The Drummond locos are due for release first 1/4 next year.

Richard

Hi Richard how is the test build going for the B1? Any ideas for production dates?

Dave

Hi Dave,

We've still got the castings to produce, and with the various lead times etc. I would expect it to be available by the Kettering GOG show at the earliest. I have in fact just opened an order book for the B1 - no deposit at this stage.

Richard

• 2 months later...

Hi,

We're moving forward with the B1 - bogie, chassis and body etches almost there. We start on the castings development in the new year.

post-3059-0-78796100-1511183946.jpg

post-3059-0-27278300-1511183959_thumb.jpg

I'm taking reservations for the B1 (no deposit at this stage) - contact me via PM or through the web site.

From left field, we also quite well along with an NER A7 4-6-2 which is at the test etch stage.

Richard

Edited by dikitriki
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

We're moving forward with the B1 - bogie, chassis and body etches almost there. We start on the castings development in the new year.

attachicon.gifB1 Bogie.jpg

attachicon.gifB1 Nov 17.jpg

I'm taking reservations for the B1 (no deposit at this stage) - contact me via PM or through the web site.

From left field, we also quite well along with an NER A7 4-6-2 which is at the test etch stage.

Richard

Hi Richard, 

Been a while since there was any update, how is the casting development going for the B1 and as Jeff P mentioned any idea of an approx ballpark ££ 

Cheers

David