MRJ 246

Not Jeremy

A couple of points: first, I believe the 'due date' for this issue is 31st March - such info' as is in the public domain comes from Simon (who, via Wild Swan has claims to a close working relationship with Cygnet and Andy (Brightspark) and myself who happen to be contributors and whose copies beat the Easter break.

Since I have actually seen it, I reckon your characterisation to be wrong, Kenton, but perhaps it would be better for others to judge?

I will make the observation that about half the pages are taken up with recorded doing and to be more nuanced about the rest: it's not all glossy, arty layout shots. Whether or not it's what you want it to be will be down to you.

Adam

Since I have actually seen it, I reckon your characterisation to be wrong, Kenton, but perhaps it would be better for others to judge once they've seen it?

As I said, I can only go on what has been eluded to in the posts above. This is all we can do until we all get sight of a copy.

But once the posts were made on a new MRJ they do invite speculation and comment at least from those of us who do look forward to eventually receiving a copy.

This is the risk taken by publishing the contents by those who have actually seen a copy against the desire to inform everyone as to the "flavour" of what is coming. This happens in every MRJ topic (and also all the other magazine topics). Until we get to actually see and read the contents of all these magazines it is difficult to review them.

The reason why MRJ seems to get flak so much I think has a lot more to do with the announcement of arrival and the actual date of arrival. Readers have little to go on simply because the distribution of copies is so erratic. Something none of the other magazines seem to have.

My comments of course are not based on any specific content or complaint of a single article or layout versus another, (I can only do that when I finally get a copy soon after 31 March ?) But the criticism of balance in MRJ is fair game as a long standing view of the consistency (lack of) and general direction of MRJ.

I guess while we are all waiting for at least another week to pass before the general public gets its mitts on a copy, we have only the style and overall editorial content to comment on. After 31 March the location of W H Smith's with the first and only remaining copy will commence.

Got my copy at the York show yesterday and have to say Tollesbury Quay is stunning on the page. I particularly like the back story and Martin's thoughts about how he put it together. I personally find it interesting to read all of the mag even if I am not particularly interested in the content as I can still learn stuff..

• RMweb Gold

Of great appeal to me was (the first part of..) 'Metropolitan Jct'. A trip back to my childhood and the sort of thing that inspired me into scale modelling. Truly exceptional work for it's era. A trip up to Expo EM will be essential!

Also tucked away at the back is a picture of Gerry Beale's transformation of an already brilliant Hornby Collett. Superb work.

Some time ago I asked about subscription as the copy I was getting from Newstand was always very late. So thanks to those whom suggested using the mags own subscription service, worked well, delivered today AND properly packed in a photograph envelope - ie with a firm cardboard back.

As to content, I do think a title explaining what the MRJ Portfolio was would have been helpful. The layout name only comes at the end of a caption and the only give away on scale and track gauge is reference to a website! Again something a professional editor may have noticed.

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone like a radish?

In the meantime, and before Pozzo turns up, the Postie delivered 246 today:

Small Suppliers Forum

Metropolitan Junction - Andy Avis

MRJ Portfolio - Hornsey (EM, IIRC) - Kier Hardy (who has come a long way from being the first labour MP, I think)

Letters

Tollesbury Quay - Martin Stringer

Morfa Bank Progress - Hywel Thomas

A Michigan Shunter for Morfa Bank Sidings - Hywel Thomas

Derby via Rumney - Adam Chapman

Diary

Scalefour North Preview

Z.G.

It's arrived and well worth the wait, for me at least having been born almost insight of Tollesbuty up the hill in Danbury.

Tollesbury is stunning.

The mud in one shot is the best rendition of mud that I have ever seen.

"Hard". An east Anglian term? Not in my book as it is far more wide spread. I would have thought as much south coast as any where in origin.

Not as controversial as the use of Lucam in an early issue. Now that is an east Anglian word.

Posh yachts. Not around there circa 1950. A rotting hulk of a barge in the salt marsh would be more typical.

Good to see more detail for the sail lofts as reference my photo in the previous issue thread.

The buffer stop is a bit on the heavy side for the K & T but seeing how close it is to the waters edge probably a good move.

The ex private owner coal wagon even has the correct local name such is the attention to detail.

Very, very nice.

The other articles will be kept for after dinner. The wagon chassis needs some serious study.

Bernard

Only subscribers.

No sign of it in Oakham this morning, so I am without it.

The suspense is frankly bearable.

WHSmiths in Worthing have it available when I was there this morning but I've already had my subscribers issue. Had to reread the Tollesbury article to realise that it has working tidal water!

Archived